Tournament of Books discussion

A Visit from the Goon Squad
This topic is about A Visit from the Goon Squad
2020 Super-Rooster Books > A Visit from the Goon Squad

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments location to discuss Tournament of Rooster Winners book: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Risa (risa116) | 158 comments L-O-V-E Goon Squad. Yes, there will be those who say that some of the structure choices are gimmicky and have aged poorly (the PowerPoint slides, e.g.). But, I remember investing fully in these characters, and finding the novel fresh and exhilarating. I've not re-read it since it was first published, but it has a fond place in my recollection, and a firm place in my heart.

Nadine (nadinekc) | 544 comments I thought the power point slides were terrific. They are written by a young girl (maybe 13-ish? I read it years ago) and felt like just the right medium for her.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 6 comments I read this one because I loved Manhattan Beach, but Goon Squad just wasn't for me. I had to go back and review the summary just to remember for sure if I had read it.

Ellen H | 741 comments I liked it a lot when I read it -- but now remember almost nothing about it. Hmmmm.

Karin (8littlepaws) | 97 comments Do you ever not love a book but are embarrassed to tell people you don't love that book?

That's this book to me.

Ellen H | 741 comments YES. See: Wolf Hall. The Sellout. etc.

Daniel Sevitt | 81 comments This was one of the great reading experiences for me and one of the reasons that I continue to read new literary fiction. I don't think it should win the whole thing, but I wouldn't be mad if it did.

message 9: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan (janrowell) | 1058 comments I’m trying to remember what the other finalist was when this one won. Was that the year that the final votes broke pretty much along gender lines?

message 10: by lark (new) - rated it 2 stars

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 101 comments I thought A Visit from the Goon Squad was clever and readable but i thought The Keep was extraordinary and almost perfect.

message 11: by Dianah (last edited Apr 05, 2019 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments Jan wrote: "I’m trying to remember what the other finalist was when this one won. Was that the year that the final votes broke pretty much along gender lines?"

Franzen's Freedom, ugh! And yes, with a few exceptions, men voted for Franzen and women voted for Egan.

message 12: by Drew (new) - rated it 4 stars

Drew (drewlynn) | 416 comments I did not enjoy this at all when I read it for the Tournament and just assumed I was too old. All the love for it inspired me to read it again so I suggested it for my IRL book group whose members were mostly much younger than me. Imagine my surprise when I really enjoyed it the second time around and everyone else in the group hated it! I've no idea what that means except I wasn't too old for this book after all.

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments I DNF this the first time around but I was also not expecting the 'interlinked stories' style so I'm willing to give it another shot.

message 14: by Risa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Risa (risa116) | 158 comments The ToB has made me realize that I very much enjoy the interlinked stories style (if it is well executed), and that that there are other readers for whom that structure/style is a big negative.

message 15: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Lopez | 360 comments I really enjoyed the audiobook--the power point section has the sound of an old-timey carousel slide projector switching slides.

message 16: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan (janrowell) | 1058 comments Dianah wrote: "Jan wrote: "I’m trying to remember what the other finalist was when this one won. Was that the year that the final votes broke pretty much along gender lines?"

Franzen's Freedom, ugh! And yes, wit..."

Double ugh. No wonder I blocked that out. ;-)

Karin (8littlepaws) | 97 comments Risa wrote: "The ToB has made me realize that I very much enjoy the interlinked stories style (if it is well executed), and that that there are other readers for whom that structure/style is a big negative."

I was looking back at my review of this book, and I had put in it that I wasn't sure the interlocking short stories thing works for me in general, but I've read some seriously fantastic ones so now I've realized, I just don't really like this book all that much.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Arnold | 769 comments I'm going to have to reread this one, because like some of you I don't remember the story at all. (When I think of it, I picture diagrams...that's just about the only thing that's stuck with me.) In general, I liked this better than The Keep, but not by much. Maybe because I went into both with expectations (based only on the jacket description...) that weren't met so I couldn't see them for what they were meant to be. In general they were just too experimental for my tastes.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 602 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "I'm going to have to reread this one, because like some of you I don't remember the story at all. (When I think of it, I picture diagrams...that's just about the only thing that's stuck with me.) I..."
I remember a power point presentation.... and having to turn the book sideways... and thinking OOH THIS IS KINDA COOL. Probably the first book that did that that I read. After that it felt derivative. Ha.

Nadine (nadinekc) | 544 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "I'm going to have to reread this one, because like some of you I don't remember the story at all. (When I think of it, I picture diagrams...that's just about the only thing..."

I loved the ppt presentation - not just the idea to use it, but how effectively it was used in terms of the story. My husband read it after me and when I asked him what he thought of the ppt, he said, 'oh, I skipped it.' He's just not a fiction guy at heart ;)

message 21: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (crowmeadow) | 38 comments Clever and uber-modern with prose that sparkles, but will it go deep in a field of Rooster Heavyweight Champions hmmm I don't see it happening. That 'linked' business will undermine it against more fully formed novels, I feel.

Cathy (stitchyfox) | 4 comments Of the 10/15 I've read from the Super Rooster list, this is probably my least favorite. I found it gimmicky, and though I read it about 3 years ago, only slightly past its publication, I found it dated. The text speak bit at the end left me grimacing in embarrassment. I read Manhattan Beach when it came out and was underwhelmed for different reasons, so at this point it seems I just don't like Jennifer Egan.

message 23: by Gwendolyn (new)

Gwendolyn | 159 comments “Gimmicky” is exactly how I’d describe this one too. Good word for it! I did love Manhattan Beach though.

Rachelle Carter (rachellerain) | 43 comments I agree, Egan leaves me feeling like I want to pass the book to my high school seniors and saying this is what the 70's felt like...

Lauren Oertel | 832 comments I just finished listening to this and was going to say that it probably just doesn't work on audio, but I see here that Bob enjoyed that format. Must be me then! I didn't dislike it, but it was difficult to follow. I generally enjoyed pieces of it, but it didn't all come together as well as I hoped.