What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > mid-70s Y/A Boy captured by mind-reading aliens who cloned his bedroom

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J (topjob7) | 1 comments It starts when a boy finds himself captured from earth by mind-reading aliens who are able to replicate anything in his brain. They have replicated his bedroom and seem to want to make him feel comfortable and safe.

I don't remember much more except he may have been on a spaceship or something and experimented thinking about different things to see what they would do.

I read this as a pre-teen around 1976. It was a borrowed paperback book, not too hard to read, but I'm not sure if was meant to be Y/A or not. It could have been written in the early to mid 70s or possibly the 60s.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
J ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 185, from six months ago, where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 3: by Summer (new)

Summer | 240 comments Oh, I've read something like this.

It looked exactly like his bedroom, but the door wouldn't open and there was nothing outside the window. He figured it was some sort of zoo, and when he harmed himself the aliens knocked him out, healed him, and took away the things he used to hurt himself. I believe there was eventually an attempt to interact with him using large hand puppets that looked like his parents?

Unfortunately, what I don't remember is the title or author. I'd guess it was something along the lines of Bruce Coville or Paul Jennings, though.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32285 comments Mod
J, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 763 comments There's a bit in 'Have Spacesuit, Will Travel' by Heinlein that's a bit like this. The boy Kip,is recovering from severe frostbite, and the aliens put together his 'bedroom' to make him feel comfortable. He asks his young female companion (Peewee)to hand him his slide-rule, and she has to tell him it's not a real one, just an imitation.