Tournament of Books discussion

The Sisters Brothers
This topic is about The Sisters Brothers
2020 Super-Rooster Books > The Sisters Brothers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments location to discuss Tournament of Rooster Winners book: The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Risa (risa116) | 158 comments This is one of the few on the Super-Rooster list that I've not yet read. Would love to hear from fans of this book about why they enjoyed it. I think I avoided it because westerns aren't really my thing, but perhaps this is a fresh take on a genre that has always felt a bit hoary to me.

(Note: I enjoyed "French Exit", which was on this year's Longlist. Some will find the tone too acerbic , but I found the book both funny and poignant, which is a favorite combination of mine.)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 544 comments Risa wrote: "This is one of the few on the Super-Rooster list that I've not yet read. Would love to hear from fans of this book about why they enjoyed it. I think I avoided it because westerns aren't really my ..."

I'm a big fan! Here's the review I wrote when I read it in 2012:

"Reminded me of True Grit - same kind of authentically gritty Western setting and told in the first person in a kind of country-courtly language. The narrator is as charming as Mattie, even if he is a hired killer."

The movie was good, but in no way a stand-in for the book.

message 4: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan (janrowell) | 1057 comments Totally agree, Nadine. Also, the audio was great.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1655 comments I found it darkly funny but also pretty melancholic. I’m not a western reader either (apart from Louis L’Amour being the only available paperbacks at my grandpa’s growing up) but I really enjoyed the tale.

Risa (risa116) | 158 comments Excellent recommendations - thank you! I think I have it ... somewhere .... in my house. Off to try to find it ....

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments I hate westerns, but loved SB. Here's my blurb:

Where to start with this strange little book? The Sisters Brothers are a pair of killers-for-hire: Charlie, the hard-boiled pragmatist of the pair; Eli, the reluctant, sensitive softy. Assigned their next hit, the pair begins a long and winding journey which leads them in a wildly atypical direction: they befriend their "hit" and events diverge from the normal sordid, yet familiar path. Packed with quirky, dark humor and razor-sharp character studies, The Sisters Brothers presents an unusual treat: a pair of killers with whom you cannot help but sympathize. Just embrace the peculiarity here; offbeat, idiosyncratic and odd, this is one novel you won't soon forget.

Risa (risa116) | 158 comments Dianah wrote: "I hate westerns, but loved SB. Here's my blurb:

Where to start with this strange little book? The Sisters Brothers are a pair of killers-for-hire: Charlie, the hard-boiled pragmatist of the pair; ..."

That actually sounds fantastic! Thank you.

Topher | 105 comments Pretty sure I’ve read all the Roosters and this one is comfortably at the bottom.

Nadine (nadinekc) | 544 comments Dianah wrote: "I hate westerns, but loved SB. Here's my blurb:

Where to start with this strange little book? The Sisters Brothers are a pair of killers-for-hire: Charlie, the hard-boiled pragmatist of the pair; ..."

I always thought I didn't like westerns either, but looking back, I've loved quite a few in addition to Sisters Brothers.....True Grit, News of the World, Doc, even Lonesome Dove. I guess when I find the right one, I fall in love......

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments Nadine wrote: "Dianah wrote: "I hate westerns, but loved SB. Here's my blurb:

Where to start with this strange little book? The Sisters Brothers are a pair of killers-for-hire: Charlie, the hard-boiled pragmatis..."

I loved Lonesome Dove too. What a book!

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments Topher wrote: "Pretty sure I’ve read all the Roosters and this one is comfortably at the bottom."

Yeah, I understand. It's a weird one, but I adored it ❤

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments Risa wrote: "Dianah wrote: "I hate westerns, but loved SB. Here's my blurb:

Where to start with this strange little book? The Sisters Brothers are a pair of killers-for-hire: Charlie, the hard-boiled pragmatis..."

Hope you like it! 🤞

Ellen H | 741 comments One of the two -- with A Mercy -- that I haven't read from the Tournament of Tournaments list.

Daniel Sevitt | 81 comments Absolute joy from start to finish. I read this quirky book years before I ever heard of the ToB and seeing that it had won, convinced me that I had found the right group of people to talk about books with. I've never found anyone in real life that I could recommend this book to, so I love that there is a whole community here who appreciate this book as much as I did.

message 16: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Lopez | 358 comments Daniel wrote: "I read this quirky book years before I ever heard of the ToB and seeing that it had won, convinced me that I had found the right group of people to talk about books with...."

Same! Except in 2012 I didn't write much for every review. My SB review says "Great book! Fun western!"

message 17: by Drew (new) - rated it 3 stars

Drew (drewlynn) | 416 comments Usually I love quirky books but this book just was not for me.

message 18: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan (janrowell) | 1057 comments Dianah, I think Lonesome Dove has to be my all-time #1 book crush. :-)

Dianah (fig2) | 255 comments Jan wrote: "Dianah, I think Lonesome Dove has to be my all-time #1 book crush. :-)"

Seriously, me too! I totally dragged my feet and didn't want to read it, but, wow, what a book! ❤❤❤

message 20: by Kip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 195 comments This is my TOB genesis book. I read this, loved it, then learned about the tourney and was delighted to follow as the only book I had read took home the Rooster.

Lauren Oertel | 832 comments I went into this with low expectations since westerns are not for me, but it wasn't too bad! I listened to it and it was still pretty western-y, but I found it decently engaging. And while I didn't laugh out loud, I did crack a smile from time to time, so I guess I picked up on some of the comedic aspects (although I cringed a few times as well with the horse and chemical parts).