Tournament of Books discussion

2020 Super-Rooster Books > The Underground Railroad

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (asawatzky) | 1616 comments location to discuss Tournament of Rooster Winners book: The Underground Railroad by Colsen Whitehead from the 2017 tournament

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I enjoyed this book but don't remember it as a favorite. Definitely worth reading, though.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen H | 704 comments My second favorite of the Rooster-of-Roosters list. Definitely a deserved win its year.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Sevitt | 80 comments I think this has to be an early front-runner. It's as fine a novel as you can read, written by a master at the top of his game. I don't believe Whitehead will write anything better, but I will come back time and again to see if he does.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane (diane_g) | 9 comments Ellen wrote: "My second favorite of the Rooster-of-Roosters list. Definitely a deserved win its year."

What is your favorite?

message 6: by Ellen (new)

Ellen H | 704 comments Cloud Atlas. By a huge margin.

message 7: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 52 comments I'm preoccupied with how many of these Rooster winners I loved absolutely when I read them, and yet I don't have any interest in reading them again. Including The Underground Railroad...it just feels like it gave its gifts on a single reading. I'm a big re-reader of some novels so this feels like something I need to ponder.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (julnol) | 110 comments Cloud Altas!

Oh, if only I was a Cloud Altas "virgin", about to open the cover and discover such a showcase of genre writing and a celebration of storytelling. I envy those about to discover it for the first time.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane (diane_g) | 9 comments I am a Cloud Atlas virgin! I am looking so forward to doing a group read of it for the first time in September.

message 10: by Diane (last edited Apr 22, 2019 01:19PM) (new)

Diane (diane_g) | 9 comments Lark wrote: "I'm preoccupied with how many of these Rooster winners I loved absolutely when I read them, and yet I don't have any interest in reading them again. Including The Underground Railroad... it just feels like it gave its gifts on a single reading. I'm a big re-reader of some novels so this feels like something I need to ponder."

I agree. I loved TUR when I read it, but the details are already fading, and I doubt I would read it again. Homegoing, on the other hand, which lost to UR that year, I just finished this weekend and think I will read again someday. It left me in that "I just can't start another book" fog of contemplation.

message 11: by Nadine (last edited Apr 22, 2019 02:53PM) (new)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 501 comments Lark wrote: "I'm preoccupied with how many of these Rooster winners I loved absolutely when I read them, and yet I don't have any interest in reading them again.

I can only recall rereading two books in my life - Midnight's Children and The Color Purple. But I am rereading Cloud Atlas with a GR group this fall, to see if I can still claim it as my most favorite book ever. The one book I could also consider rereadig is Freshwater. And maybe Sudden Death, to see if I have as much fun the second time around.

message 12: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (crowmeadow) | 26 comments Stark and superlative. Would definitely go in for a re-read on this one were I a big re-reader. Too many books, too little time...

message 13: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (crowmeadow) | 26 comments Nadine wrote: "Lark wrote: "I'm preoccupied with how many of these Rooster winners I loved absolutely when I read them, and yet I don't have any interest in reading them again.

I can only recall rereading two b..."

Sudden Death seems key, glad you mentioned it^