Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archives > [April] Circe, by Madeline Miller - Part Four

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Apr 23, 2019 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
For the Mediterranean pick for the April book of the month, the group has selected Circe, by Madeline Miller.

For more information about the Book of the Month, see the introduction post.

* Part 1 - Chapters 1-8
* Part 2 - Chapters 9-15
* Part 3 - Chapters 16-20
* Part 4 - Chapter 21-End

Questions:
1. We're done! What did you think of the book?
2. Did you have a favorite scene and/or quote?
3. Were you satisfied with the ending? (i.e. Circe's imaginings)

Each discussion post will contain prompting questions. But please freely engage in discussion as much as you wish.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Questions have been posted :)

Samantha | 902 comments 1. We're done! What did you think of the book?
I really enjoyed it there were a few slowish places for me but overall a really good read.
After Telemachus and Circe returned to the island I really enjoyed the conversation Circe and Penelope had. There was something about it that seemed to settle their interwoven lives and bring a peacefulness for what would come.
I thought it was a great ending a nice way to finish the story.

Perri | 775 comments 1. We're done! What did you think of the book?
I quite enjoyed it and glad I read it

I think when Circe stealed herself to cut the stingray knowing the pain it would bring, but willing to make the sacrifice

Sure, the whole way it ended was very satisfying. Penelope seems content. I'm glad Circe and Telemachus got together. She got off the island and slew Scylla. Telegonus seems like he will be a good ruler

I have to say my opinion of Odysseus changed with the last section. Seems like an adrenaline junky best suited to war and rampaging. Of course he's got Athena whispering in his ear.

Wish more would have joined in, but no one can predict that! It's been fun :)

Nancy (nbaker) Questions:
1. We're done! What did you think of the book?
I thought i was very well written. And I enjoyed it. It made me want to revisit my mythology books.

My favorite scene was the birthing of the Minotaur. Her interactions with her sister were just wonderful. Actually any part where she realizes the trap that is being/been set and uses her wits to work herself out of it is wonderful.

Not sure I liked the ending at all. You call it imaginings, and that is where I was unsure. Is it all an imagination? Is she actually leaving the island? Slowly becoming mortal? Well either way, it had to end in some fashion.

Pamela | 623 comments 1. We're done! What did you think of the book?
I really liked it. I took way too many classics classes all those years ago so I like those faint memories coming back to me.
But I really did not like the portrayal of Circe- clearly the author is using her as a feminist icon but she is so darn passive and just sits there watching the world go by

I agree about liking when she goes to get Trigon's tail and has to pass the test of enduring pain, but not

It was a nice idea. Afterall, how do these people end their lives. Or are all those people still just sitting around in Helios's hall now, feasting, messing around, and whatever else they feel like. It makes me really like the Olympians who are portrayed in the book- they do something with their time, even if ala Hermes its just messing with people.

Irene | 93 comments I didn't like the ending so much, it was supposed to be a bit of a feminist book, but it ends with I made 3 babies and gave up my goddess powers for a mortal. Not that I wanted her to be alone and miserable but the ending was a bit too much like a very traditional fairy tale for me.

I did enjoy the book overall but not sure if it deserves the hype around it.

Pamela | 623 comments Irene wrote: "I didn't like the ending so much, it was supposed to be a bit of a feminist book, but it ends with I made 3 babies and gave up my goddess powers for a mortal. Not that I wanted her to be alone and ..."

I felt it wanted to be a feminist book but wasn't. Everything she did was a reaction to something a man did to her. She was not an agent at all of her own fate, even when supposedly she was.

Irene | 93 comments I am reading The Silence of the Girls now and I feel it does a better job at retelling some of the Greek mythology from the female perspective, I am only half way through though.