Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archives > [April] Circe, by Madeline Miller - Before Starting

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Apr 01, 2019 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
For the Mediterranean pick for the April book of the month, the group has selected Circe, by Madeline Miller.

For more information about the Book of the Month, see the introduction post.

* Part 1 - Chapters 1-8
* Part 2 - Chapters 9-15
* Part 3 - Chapters 16-20
* Part 4 - Chapter 21-End

Questions before starting:
1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
2. Are you a fan of Greek mythology?
3. The book is known for its portrayal of a strong female character. What are some of your favorite female characters (including books and/or movies)

Each discussion post will contain prompting questions. But please freely engage in discussion as much as you wish.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just as I did last month, I will be reading this along with the group. So bear with me! Questions will be posted as I reach each part.

message 3: by Samantha (last edited Apr 01, 2019 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samantha | 906 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
This is on my TBR and for a while I think I saw it mentioned all over the place and it sounded like a good retelling. I have to admit that I am not sure I would have gotten to it if it wasn't the book of the month.
I find it interesting but not sure if I would call myself a fan.
3. The book is known for its portrayal of a strong female character. What are some of your favorite female characters (including books and/or movies)
I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing and found Kya to be such a strong girl turn woman. Another girl turned women I loved is Anne Shirley from Anne of Avonlea
I enjoy mysteries a lot and some of my favorites series have strong women detectives/investigators: D. D. Warren books by Lisa Gardner, Roxane Weary books by Kristen Lepionka and Jane Rizzoli books by Tess Gerritsen.

I love that the women on the TV show The Magicians are pretty bad ass. I never read the book so have no clue if they compare.

I think I could go on and on so will stop myself here.

message 4: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2524 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
I read this book in January - my first book of the year and so far my favorite! There was so much hype over it on GR that I figured I should read it! If I had NOT already read it, I would have read it for the BOTM selection. Although, I think I had to wait 3 months for the library hold to come in.

Yes, I fell in love with it in high school English. Last year I read a children's version of The Adventures of Odysseus by Mary Pope Osbourne. It happened to be the one which had Circe in it. So, I knew her character, briefly from this story.

3. The book is known for its portrayal of a strong female character. What are some of your favorite female characters (including books and/or movies)?
I agree with Samantha about Kya from Where the Crawdads Sing. I also like Hermione from Harry Potter (of course, who doesn't?), Francie Nolan from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Katy from Rules of Civility, and Flavia de Luce (the British kid sleuth with a passion for chemistry and poison). From TV shows, I love Annie Potts as Meemaw on Young Sheldon. She's a tough hilarious Texas gal - such a great character! I also love Kelly Clarkson on The Voice. Even though she's not a character per se, she has such a big personality (plus confidence and a big heart) and is a character in that sense! She's playing herself! I've loved her since her first American Idol audition.

I hope everyone loves this book!

Perri | 778 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
It's been on my radar for a while, so I'm glad for the push to read it
I wouldn't call myself a fan
I just read West with the Night and thought Beryl was marvelous

Marin (marinbeth) | 175 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
It wasn't in my list for the year, but last year I read The Odyssey and The Song of Achilles (on audio, so it made me cry at work), so I guess it was only a matter of time.

Yes, very much! I like mythology, folktales, basically anything involving magic.

I just finished Seveneves, and I really loved reading a book with a variety of female characters. Some of them were traditionally strong, some of them were strong in less-traditional ways, and some of them were bad guys. Last month I read The Map of Salt and Stars, and it has three sisters who are strong in very different ways too.

Entropia | 278 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?

It was the only one from Goodreads Awards 2018, that felt somewhat interesting to me, so I chose it for that prompt in aty. If not for this group, I probably wouldn't have picked it up though.

I used to when I was at school, but my interest diminished over the years.

I really dislike such questions, because I don't usually have all-time favorites and even when I try to figure things out I become to critical and end up not picking anything. My this year's books favorite is Jelena Muklanowiczówna (Lód, sadly it's not translated to English).

Sarah (sezziy) | 585 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
I read The Song of Achilles a couple of weeks ago and loved it so I really wanted to read Circe. I'm still on the library waiting list for this one but I really hope it comes up this month so I can join in.

Yes! I love mythology in general but Greek is my favourite.

I'm a huuuuuge Star Wars fan so the first one which springs to mind is Princess Leia.

message 9: by Serendipity (last edited Apr 04, 2019 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serendipity | 439 comments 1. I'd heard good things about Circe so when Popsugar and the Reading Women challenges had a category for a myth retelling or inspired by a myth , Circe was the obvious choice.

2. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of mythology in general or Greek mythology in particular.

3. Many of the books I read have strong female characters. Among those I' ve read this year would be Kya fromWhere the Crawdads Sing, Camilla from Daisy Jones & The Six (although Daisy, although obviously flawed, and Karen were great strong female characters as well) and Deya and Irsa from A Woman Is No Man .

I'm glad I found this thread. Normally on my mobile device and didn't see it there but this morning I'm on the desktop and immediately spotted it. I'd planned to start Circe in a day or two when I finish my current read so the timing is perfect.

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Apr 04, 2019 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
I've heard such great things about this one, and I've been meaning to read both of Madeline Miller's books for quite a while. I would have read it sometime this year anyway, even if if it wasn't the book of the month.

I am, but I haven't really read much about it in quite a long time.

Hermione Granger, Katniss Everdeen, Morticia and Wednesday Addams

message 11: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sorry everyone! I fell a bit behind in my reading since I had family in town over the weekend. But I'm starting tonight :)

1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
I had been planning on reading it for week 15, largely due to all the hype surrounding the book. I'll admit I'm often swayed by the "hype".

Not particularly, it wasn't exactly my favorite topic in high school. I'm hoping the "witchcraft" and modern spin to this one will be enough to get me going.

3. The book is known for its portrayal of a strong female character. What are some of your favorite female characters (including books and/or movies)?
Lisbeth Salander is always a good one. Although it's controversial, I actually really liked the Rooney Mara portrayal. Another one would be Starr Carter from The Hate U Give

Nancy (nbaker) | 0 comments Well I just started the book - had others in the priority list to read. And actually this book was just next in line and I didnt even realize it was book of the month. So here is my answers.

Questions before starting:
1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month? Yes was already on my To-Read list.

2. Are you a fan of Greek mythology? I have always loved Greek mythology. Well mythology of all cultures actually.

3. The book is known for its portrayal of a strong female character. What are some of your favorite female characters (including books and/or movies) I always love questions like this that make me sit and ponder lol. The first female character that came to mind was Medusa, but I think thats because of reading this book and the mythology around it. Otherwise, I would say Celena from Throne of Glass series, Alison/Helena/Sarah from Orphan Black

And so far I love this book.

Irene | 93 comments We read The Song of Achilles from the same author in my IRL book club. I liked it but didn't love it. However some people in the meeting mentioned they liked Circe better. So I decided to give it a try and today I found out it was shortlisted for the Women's Prize in Fiction 2019, so that' another reason to read it.