Our Marginalized Relations discussion

April/May My Father's Notebook > April/May book: My Father's Notebook

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 120 comments Mod
Hello!

It was difficult for me this time to choose a book. For one, because I wanted a book from a place that isn't North America or the Great Britain... and it gets much more difficult to find a book that is also translated into English from those places.
And secondly, because I also wanted a new theme. I don't how good I succeeded at that one, that is up to you to see and judge.

For the next two months, I chose My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdolah. I think that Iran gets quite misportrayed in Western media, also, but not solely due to the fact that whenever we hear something out of this country it is because of riots and protests. I haven't read a book from Kader Abdolah yet, but I look forward to finish this book with all of you together. From how far into it I have read so far, I believe this book can teach everyone of us, for whom Iran is a country they know hardly anything about, a great deal - especially history.

Kader Abdolah has fled Iran and now lives in the Netherlands, this is also where he has written this book, and where it was published first - in Dutch.

To enlightening reading!
Meerder

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 37 comments It’s next on my list to read. I will start it soon! :))

message 3: by MeerderWörter (new)

Emma wrote: "Can't wait until I can get my hands on a copy and start reading!"

You guys in the US will get it a lot quicker than me, because my copy took 4 weeks and came out of the US...

message 4: by MeerderWörter (new)

Has anyone so far got the book? Maybe even started reading it? What are your first thoughts?

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 93 comments No luck here. How about anyone else?

message 6: by MeerderWörter (new)

Pam wrote: "No luck here. How about anyone else?"

I'm sorry you couldn't get the book - I hope the next book will be easier available.