The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
★Buddy/Group Read Retirement★ > The Book Thief (April 2019) Buddy Read Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (new)

Aless (alesstheintrovert) | 946 comments Mod
Welcome to The Book Thief Buddy Read Discussion thread! This thread officially opens on April 1st and anyone can join at any time. Please keep in mind that spoilers are allowed in this thread but only up to the group's current reading place. Do not spoil the book if you've read further than the group.

Each week we will be reading by chapters. The Buddy Read discussion schedule is as follows:

Week of 4/1
April 1: All 4 chapters of the Prologue: A Mountain Range of Rubble
April 2: The Grave Digger's Handbook Chapters 1-3
April 3: Chapters 4-6
April 4: Chapters 7-8
April 5: The Shoulder Shrug Chapters 9-12
April 6: Chapters 13-16
April 7: Mein Kampf Chapters 17-19

Week of 4/8
April 8: Chapters 20-23
April 9: Chapter 24
April 10: The Standover Man Chapters 25-28
April 11: Chapters 29-30
April 12: Chapters 31-32
April 13: The Whistler Chapters 33-36
April 14: Chapters 37-39

Week of 4/15
April 15: Chapter 40
April 16: The Dream Carrier Chapters 41-43
April 17: Chapters 44-46
April 18: Chapters 47-48
April 19: The Complete Duden Dictionary and Thesaurus Chapters 49-51
April 20: Chapters 52-54
April 21: Chapters 55-56

Week of 4/22
April 22: The Word Shaker Chapters 57-59
April 23: Chapters 60-64
April 24: The Last Human Stranger Chapters 65-68
April 25: Chapters 69-72
April 26: The Book Thief Chapters 73-76
April 27: Chapters 77-79
April 28: Chapters 80

Week of 4/29
April 29: All 4 parts of the Epilogue: The Last Color

PARTICIPANTS
Faith
Samantha

message 2: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 42 comments I read this in December last year, but I'm sharing my thoughts. Maybe you'll enjoy :)

My second book from this author.

How much we enjoy a book and how much it comes up to our expectations depends on what we expect from it or what we think it is about. We tend not to enjoy a book if it is something different from that, though it can be so much better at times. Our reading moods play a role too. So if you jump into this book expecting some big event or a huge climax, you’ll be disappointed (or maybe you’ll love it even more). This is a simple story with small twists that one can expect in a complicated Germany in WW2.

This is the story of 13 Himmel Street and it is narrated by Death itself. We follow Death as it tells us the story of Liesel, the Book Thief, from the time she saw her brother die to the end of her life (Death will spoil some things- be warned!). This isn’t about the holocaust and all other tortures the Jews suffered but the about the lives of others. The Germans who struggled and a Jew striving to survive in a gloomy and dangerous atmosphere oblivious to the rest of the world. It shows that there is another perspective to the Nazi Germany.

Personally, I loved it. I loved the movie and wanted to know more about the characters by reading the book. I wasn’t disappointed on either accounts. If you haven’t watched or read it, do it! Liesel is sweet and quiet and she tries to decipher every word thrown at her that is beyond her comprehension and every emotion that crosses across the face of her companions. As a reader, I enjoyed reading about her passion for reading and thievery. It’s fascinating how her hunger for books gets her from the illiterate new girl to the Liesel we come to know at the end. I also think that having Death as a narrator was pretty cool even though it ruins a couple of things by spoiling them way ahead of the story.

The writing is the best ad I loved the quotes thrown here and there. I liked the idea of books within the book. There was excellent character development and I loved all of them and this book is always going to be close to my heart. The rest is just spoiler:

My Thoughts as I Read:
For me mostly, but read it :)

Parts 1 and 2:
(view spoiler)

Part 3:
(view spoiler)

Part 4:
(view spoiler)

Part 5:
(view spoiler)

Part 6:
(view spoiler)

Part 7:
(view spoiler)

Part 8:
(view spoiler)

Part 9 and 10:
(view spoiler)

Review :https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

⚡️Samantha⚡️ | 177 comments Definitely! I love your thoughts on the book! I’m finding it interesting so far.

message 4: by Aqsa (last edited Apr 01, 2019 08:36PM) (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 42 comments Samantha wrote: "Definitely! I love your thoughts on the book! I’m finding it interesting so far."

I'm so glad, Samantha :) Enjoy the book! It was awesome!

How in are you?

⚡️Samantha⚡️ | 177 comments I’m actually not super far in; it’s been a busy school week for me, but I’m planning to catch up over the weekend for sure.

message 6: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 42 comments That's good :) I hope you get some relaxing time too :)

⚡️Samantha⚡️ | 177 comments Thanks! :)

message 8: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 2000 comments Mod
DOWNLOAD FREE EBOOK: http://ebookhunter.ch/zusak-markus-th...

⚡️Samantha⚡️ | 177 comments Thanks for the link to the free download!

message 10: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

*Samantha* wrote: "Thanks for the link to the free download!"

no problem!

message 11: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

how are you guys finding the book?

⚡️Samantha⚡️ | 177 comments I’m really loving it! I just haven’t been that active, but the prose is absolutely beautiful and the plot is unlike anything else I’ve read.

message 13: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new)

*Samantha* wrote: "I’m really loving it! I just haven’t been that active, but the prose is absolutely beautiful and the plot is unlike anything else I’ve read."

i definitely agree! i found it to have a very unique writing style as well which i absolutely adored while reading it

⚡️Samantha⚡️ | 177 comments Yeah! I can’t believe that it’s taken me this long to begin reading the book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.