Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's March '19

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments After the Storm: Linda Castillo
Watching the affair between Burkholder and Tomasetti brings to mind how much I enjoyed Spencer-Fleming and her Clair and Russ series. A good solid entry to the Amish crime files. (A-)

The Poacher’s Son: Paul Doiron
A game warden in Maine who has a poacher for a father. A murder of a policeman and corporate executive. The father is the chief suspect, the son wants the truth. A dark and haunting book, (A-)

Welcome to Paradise :Laurence Shames
All of the romantic endearing traits of Shames (with mobsters of course) in a book that could have been plotted by Bill Fitzhugh. (B+)

Wolfpack:CJ Box
Game warden Joe Pickett a tea of drug cartel assassins. (B)

A Casual Vacancy: JK Rawlings
A small English town filled with small people. Her characterizations were flawless, (B)

Power Play: Patrick Robinson
The Russians try to destroy or way of life again. The SEALS stop them. (B)

Silence: Thomas Perry
More killers than you can shake a stick at. Not the high end spies and killers, more the kind of guys you might find in bars, and a few a bit better. One wonders who will live to the end of this book. (B)

Key Dali: Robert Tacoma
AN artist who works with ‘trash’ helps foil a plot to drive the local marina out of business. (B)

The Delta Solution: Patrick Robinson
Seals in combat. Action sequences reasonable, but the book could have used an editor better versed in nautical terminology. The author’s politics intrude, but not too badly.(B)

Dead Shot: Jack Coughlin
Sniper vs sniper, with bit of mass murder tossed in for good measure. (B)

The Third Victim: Phillip Margolin
Lawyer is coming down with dementia while defending a murder suspect. But so many others look guilty. (B)

Possum Surprise: Robert Tacoma
More adventures of Taco Bob, this time in Texas as a possum farmer (B)

The Emperor’s Revenge: “Cussler”
The crew of the good ship Oregon go up against its evil twin. The fate of Europe is in the balance. (B)

Run Away: Harlan Coben
The one thing this novel did have was a coherent plot line. The locations and people may have been all over the map, but you could put it together at the end, and decide if you were willing to suspend disbelief enough to accept the plot. (B)

message 2: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments I wish I liked the Coben book better. I would like a new Myron book.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Haven't read a Shames or Tacoma in a while. Will have to get back to them.

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments There was a Kindle special on them, I bought about 5 of them. Average length though is about 200 pages.

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Yeah, they're all short, quick reads.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14413 comments Nice month Barry! I'll have to try The Poacher's Son; it looks good. You've reminded me to consider why I haven't read The Casual Vacancy yet. Apparently the library never bought the digital audio and I tried once to find time for the hardback. I'll need to consider an Audible credit as I have always wanted to read it.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Good month! Quit reading Coben's standalones awhile back.

message 8: by Karly (new)

Karly | 313 comments I want to look into Casual Vacancy since I loved her CB strike books so much.

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments I still need to do a Rowling mystery.

message 10: by Karly (new)

Karly | 313 comments They are some of my favorites for sure!

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Apr 09, 2019 05:24PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Barry wrote: "After the Storm: Linda Castillo
Watching the affair between Burkholder and Tomasetti brings to mind how much I enjoyed Spencer-Fleming and her Clair and Russ series. A good solid entry to the Amish..."

Why, you old softie!

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Apr 09, 2019 05:28PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments I didn't like The Casual Vacancy so much. Good characterizations but I didn't like the people very much. You had a good month, though!

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments I read Casual Vacancy because I was curious. I still want to try her mysteries. The Harry Potter majic was just not there in Vacancy.

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Barry wrote: "I read Casual Vacancy because I was curious. I still want to try her mysteries. The Harry Potter majic was just not there in Vacancy."

I'm not sure the HP magic is visible in the Cormoran Strike series either, but the characters are very well developed and the mysteries are sound IMO.