What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Middle Grades/YA fantasy book set in Mesopotamia Underworld

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Apr 01, 2019 01:42PM) (new)

Kristin | 4 comments I read this book in approximately 2007, but it wasn't the newest of books then. I would say late nineties to early 2000s for publication. The main character was a girl, approximately 12 years old, who somehow travels to the underworld and is what the Ancient Mesopotamian's described it as, with the dead covered in feathers and eating dust. I can't remember if she came from that ancient civilization or if she was from a modern time. I believe the cover had a picture of a house and/or maybe the main character's face, and with a blue and orange swoopy sky background. The plot seems to have been some sort of play on East of the Sun, West of the Moon/Orpheus and Eurydice, in that she is following someone and trying to rescue them. At one point the dead covered in feathers surround her and I believe she thought she was being attacked, but was being surrounded due to her state as alive. That's about all I remember.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32317 comments Mod
Kristin, can we eliminate Ever by Gail Carson Levine?

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Kristin, can we eliminate Ever by Gail Carson Levine?"

It is definitely not that.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
This is not exactly what you described, but in case you are misremembering some details: Middleworld

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 4 comments Andria wrote: "This is not exactly what you described, but in case you are misremembering some details: Middleworld"
Unfortunately, that isn't it either. It's definitely something similar to Gilgamesh and is set within Mesopotamian mythology.

message 6: by Cyrena (new)

Cyrena Musset | 19 comments That plot sounds similar to Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. But it's not Mesopotamian.

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Kristin, can we eliminate Ever by Gail Carson Levine?"

I work at a public library and Ever recently came across my desk. I still don't think it is it, but it very well could be.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32317 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Ever by Gail Carson Levine:

https://books.google.com/books?id=tGe... There are different cover images.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Middleworld (other topics)
Ever (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gail Carson Levine (other topics)