Beyond Reality discussion

Dogs of War (Dogs of War #1)
This topic is about Dogs of War
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Dogs of War: Finshed Reading (4/19)--Spoilers Likely!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3088 comments Mod
Please share what you thought of Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Spoilers Allowed and Likely!

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 493 comments Mod
I can't really say that I liked this book, although it does raise interesting ethical questions. I found Honey and Bees more compelling characters than Rex. I could see how Rex's instinct to be a Good Dog was at the heart of his motivation, but it didn't make him empathetic to me.

BIG ethical questions about modifying animals and humans. Who should decide? What about questions of ownership and/or personhood? Once such beings are created, who can decide how/when to engage them? How can you keep such intentions from being corrupted and used for evil purposes?

I found some of the most interesting materials inserted near the end, in the "book excerpts" detailing positive uses for modified life forms in drug enforcement, medical diagnosis, and in Mars settlement.

Oleksandr Zholud I liked the novel, for me, Adrian Tchaikovsky does a great job by creating SF analogues to the real life problems. Here we have a Nuremberg trials question: is 'I just followed orders' is a valid excuse?

What I don't like is usual for modern SF bashing of corporations, for the history shows that states kill much more people, esp. the ones that formally fight corporations.

As for empathy for Rex, I felt it but maybe it depended on my state of mind during the reading

Renata Riva | 20 comments I really enjoyed this novel. I like Rex because, despite the fact that he is given limited intelligence, he achieves more than his creators would have ever allowed. I am only sorry that his group gets destroyed very early in the story.

Oleksandr Zholud Renata wrote: "I am only sorry that his group gets destroyed very early in the story. "

I agree but [1] I see why it was done narrative-wise and [2] all but Dragon are back, and he was the least emphatic of the lot.

Renata Riva | 20 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Renata wrote: "I am only sorry that his group gets destroyed very early in the story. "

I agree but [1] I see why it was done narrative-wise and [2] all but Dragon are back, and he was the least e..."

Poor Dragon! :) I actually liked him with his reptilian indifference.

Gabi | 108 comments In general I'm not a big fan of AI stories, so this book had to go against some of my dislikes from the start. And it did a excellent job with that - good book!

What I loved here is that Tchaikovsky does not start and end with the typical "how human is an AI" topic, but combines this with the animal personalities the respective bioforms are derived from. The leading character does not only has to struggle with his selfconscious versus his programming, but also with the inherent trait of a dog to follow the leader of the pack, no matter what. The scenes with his Master were literally soultearing - not only for Rex, but for me as well.

Even more than the wardog I liked the companions of his pack, how they reacted so differentely according to their animal nature.

The plot within the plot (HumOS) kept the suspension up and me puzzling over. I liked the bit-by-bit feed of information Tchaikovsky gives as the story unfolds.

I couldn't really connect to any of the characters on a deepler level, which is always a problem with me and AI, but the thoughtprovoking narrative itself was enough to keep me in its grip. Tchaikovsky certainly knows how to write.

message 8: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I'm into the second part with the lawyers just starting to get into the action.

The first part was impressive. I enjoyed the way the intelligences played out, although I was a bit surprised by Rex's lack of curiosity. Poor guy. I guess he was too stifled by his obedience chip for too long.

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I think Helene is beginning to come clear now that the trial is over. Of course I wondered about her at first, but there is more evidence all the time. I agree with Gabi that Rex's scenes with his master were soul-tearing. Good way to describe it. Honey is becoming more interesting all the time.

Helen French (helenfrench) | 27 comments I really enjoyed this one.

Rex was an interesting choice for the main character and I did wonder if the reason that Honey wasn't, was so that Honey could be killed off later (wasn't, phew) but actually I think it was because Honey knew too much, her internal voice might've been too much like our own. (Though also liked how she modified her behaviour to minimise risk/make humans comfortable, so perhaps it would be different after all).

The structure worked for me too, the military beginning, the almost legal thrillery bit, HumOS emerging over the course of the book.

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky was fantastic. It's a fast, entertaining read, yet full of points to ponder. I gave it a 5 star review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Oleksandr Zholud Jim wrote: "Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky was fantastic."

I fully agree!