East Fishkill Community Library Online Book Group discussion

The Hate U Give (The Hate U Give, #1)
This topic is about The Hate U Give
Book of the Month > Our April Book - The Hate U Give

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EFCLibrary (new)

EFCLibrary | 48 comments Share your thoughts on The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas here!

"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life."

Courtney | 26 comments I was unsure about this book because it's gotten a lot of hype and I didn't know if it would live up to my expectations. But having finished it, I can say that this book has everything. Descriptive storytelling, characters that feel real, an INTENSE plot, and above all, so much emotion. The book makes you feel so many things, it's hard to put them into words.

This book has given me a new perspective and I really appreciate that. One scene that really made me think (view spoiler)

Were there any parts of the book that changed your perspective in some way?

message 3: by Gisella (new)

Gisella | 18 comments I read this a couple of months ago. It was definitely a sensitive topic with many different points of view. The storyline makes you see Star's perspective. I would've loved to learn more detail about the police officer as well.
I was intrigued by the decision Star's parents made to stay in their neighborhood to raise their children after becoming successful in their careers.. How many people would stay and raise their children in a neighborhood such as Star's while sending them to a private school in a nearby town? Would you stay loyal to the the community or move your children into a safer place ??

Courtney | 26 comments I would like to think that I would stay loyal to my community and try to make it a safer place, however that's a really tough call. I think it's easier for me to say that because I don't have any kids though.

East Fishkill Community Library Online Book Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hate U Give (other topics)