Silver Screen Book Club discussion

Author's Thread

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Glasser | 436 comments Mod
Are you the author of a book about the silver screen? We know it takes a lot of passion and work to write a book, and I want to help get the word out so interested readers can find you. Share your work here.

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Resnick | 4 comments Mother's Day is on the horizon. If you have a mother figure who is "into" Hollywood, check out my latest Hollywood tome: The Evolution of the Hollywood Heartthrob. It's a compendium of those guys who made women's hearts beat stronger, who flocked to the box office when one of their favorites was on the screen. You'll find decade by decade listings from 1930 through 2000 of info about favorites with biographical sketches, personal data about those who made women's heart beat faster, some still do. Available in kindle from Amazon.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments My novel Chicago Movie Girls focuses on the early silent movie days (1914) when Chicago was a hub of movie making. The three Kelly sisters join a struggling movie studio after a gangster provides an introduction to the owner. The sisters fight for success amid misplaced passions, betrayals, looming World War 1, and even murder. Publishers Weekly called it an "enjoyable ripsnorter" about the early years of movies combined with a "rich Chicago setting."

message 4: by Evan (new)

Evan Anderson | 5 comments My novel "Downriver: A Tale of Moving Pictures Before Hollywood" is an historical novel set around the same period as "Chicago Movie Girls" -- thanks for that information! It's been available as an ebook for a little over a year, and as of this Monday (7/29) the print edition will be available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. The lead character is fictional, but women pioneers in the field have "leading roles": Alice Guy Blache, Florence Lawrence, Lois Weber, Nell Shipman and others. This look at cinema history has been given new visibility by the recent release of “Be Natural: the Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché,” a feature documentary about the life and work of cinema's first female director, who was also a screenwriter, producer, and studio owner. The site “Reader's Favorite” calls "Downriver" “a gripping story that explores the origins of the movie industry with characters that are as memorable as they are realistic.”Downriver: A Tale of Moving Pictures Before Hollywood