Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > June 2019 Revisit the Shelf Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9333 comments Mod
Nominations are open for our June 2019 reread. Only books currently on our group bookshelf are eligible: Book Shelf

Below is a list of the past year's reread winners.

The Haunting of Hill House, May 2019
Dracula, April 2019
Pride and Prejudice, March 2019
The Maltese Falcon, February 2019
Mrs. Dalloway, January 2019
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, December 2018
The House of the Seven Gables, November 2018
Frankenstein, October 2018
The Remains of the Day, September 2018
Great Expectations, August 2018
All Quiet on the Western Front, July 2018
Tess of the D'Urbervilles, June 2018

Revisit the Shelf Nomination Requirements:
1. Time Since Last Read. A book is only eligible for rereading if it has not been a group read in the last 12 months (1 year). A book read by the group in any of our reading categories in the past year is not eligible for nomination.

2. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help others view the book selected. Also please list when the book has been read by the group.

3. Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and will run until the end of the month

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

1. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

2. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

2a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

3. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

3a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

4. Moderator will choose a surprise sixth book to add to the poll.

Discussion Thread for New Rules

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments I nominate The Princess Bride by William Goldman (pub 1973, 398 pp, last read July 2015).

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 130 comments I'll nominate Middlemarch by George Eliot.

message 6: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1470 comments I second Ben-Hur

message 7: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 124 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Princess Bride by William Goldman (pub 1973, 398 pp, last read July 2015)."

Second! :)

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Thanks Bárbara :)

message 10: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I'll nominate Lord of the Flies, by William Golding.
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingLord of the Flies, by William Golding
3.66 · Rating details · 1,915,481 ratings · 31,914 reviews
At the dawn of the next world war, a plane crashes on an uncharted island, stranding a group of schoolboys. At first, with no adult supervision, their freedom is something to celebrate; this far from civilization the boys can do anything they want. Anything. They attempt to forge their own society, failing, however, in the face of terror, sin and evil. And as order collapses, as strange howls echo in the night, as terror begins its reign, the hope of adventure seems as far from reality as the hope of being rescued. Labeled a parable, an allegory, a myth, a morality tale, a parody, a political treatise, even a vision of the apocalypse, Lord of the Flies is perhaps our most memorable tale about “the end of innocence, the darkness of man’s heart.”

Paperback, Penguin Great Books of the 20th Century, 182 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Penguin Books (first published September 17th 1954)
Original Title Lord of the Flies
ISBN 0140283331 (ISBN13: 9780140283334)
Edition Language English
Characters Ralph (LOTF), Piggy (LOTF), Roger (LOTF), Jack Merridew, Simon (LOTF)

William Golding William Golding
2,090 followers

Sir William Gerald Golding was a British novelist, poet, and playwright best known for his 1954 novel Lord of the Flies. Golding spent two years in Oxford focusing on sciences; however, he changed his educational emphasis to English literature, especially Anglo-Saxon.

During World War II, he was part of the Royal Navy which he left five years later. His bellic experience strongly influenced his future novels. Later, he became a teacher and focused on writing. Some of his influences are classical Greek literature, such as Euripides, and The Battle of Maldon, an Anglo-Saxon oeuvre whose author is unknown.

The attention given to Lord of the Flies, Golding's first novel, by college students in the 1950s and 1960s drove literary critics' attention to it. He was awarded the Booker Prize for literature in 1980 for his novel Rites of Passage, the first book of the trilogy To the Ends of the Earth. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983 and was knighted in 1988.

In 2008, The Times ranked Golding third on their list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945".

message 11: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 549 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'll nominate Middlemarch by George Eliot."

I'll second.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 632 comments Anna Lynn wrote: "I nominate Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace."

I second Ben-Hur :)

message 13: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 791 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Princess Bride by William Goldman (pub 1973, 398 pp, last read July 2015)."

I'll second the Princess Bride.

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments I'm going out on a very creaky limb here, and will nominate The Sound and the Fury. It's listed on the group shelf, but I haven't located the last time it was read.

Maybe there are others, like me, who are afraid to attempt this alone? :-)

message 15: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 470 comments I second Middlemarch.

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 274 comments I'll second The Sound and the Fury. Looks like it was read in 2011.

message 17: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments Pamela wrote: "I'll second The Sound and the Fury. Looks like it was read in 2011."

I'll second TSATF. It says it was read in Dec. 2011, but I can't find a thread specifically dedicated to it.

It gets re-nominated a LOT.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show_...

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra I second Ben Hur.

message 19: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Wreade1872 wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Princess Bride by William Goldman (pub 1973, 398 pp, last read July 2015)."

I'll second the Princess Bride."

Thanks Wreade :)

message 20: by Annette (new)

Annette | 479 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'm going out on a very creaky limb here, and will nominate The Sound and the Fury. It's listed on the group shelf, but I haven't located the last time it was read.

Maybe there are o..."

I also second The Sound and the Fury.

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Kathleen wrote: "I'm going out on a very creaky limb here, and will nominate The Sound and the Fury. It's listed on the group shelf, but I haven't located the last time it was read.

Maybe there are o..."

It was read in 2011 -- this is the old thread. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Pamela wrote: "I'll second The Sound and the Fury. Looks like it was read in 2011."

Ooh, seconds! Thanks, I didn't expect that. I do know it gets nominated a lot. Maybe enough of us will be up for a little summer challenge this time?

Thanks for getting the link, Katy. How interesting that every star rating is represented in this relatively short thread!

message 23: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Apr 03, 2019 07:11AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1470 comments I read the The Sound and the Fury with the 1001-books group in 2017. I liked it better than Ulysses. Equally challenging, but I had the feeling of solving the puzzle, and be fairly sure that I understood the main points correct. It felt more satisfying than Ulysses.

Faulkner wrote an appendix to the book fifteen years after the publication. My version did not have the appendix, but it is online here

The 1001-books discussion is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Ratings 2 to 5 stars also in a short tread.

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I read the The Sound and the Fury with the 1001-books group in 2017. I liked it better than Ulysses. Equally challenging, but I had the feeling of solving the puzzle, and be fairly sure that I unde..."

Thanks so much for sharing these! I bookmarked both--they'll be very helpful. My copy also does not have the appendix.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Kimberly wrote: "I'll nominate Middlemarch by George Eliot."

I'll second Middlemarch

message 27: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 426 comments I'll second A Clockwork Orange

message 28: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 410 comments I too second Middlemarch.

message 29: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 213 comments Anna Lynn wrote: "I nominate Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace."

Seconded.

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments I second Lord of the Flies

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 0 comments I also second Middlemarch.

message 32: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1441 comments Me, too -- second Middlemarch.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 215 comments I'll 2nd The Princess Bride !! I own a really cool paperback version from the 80's. Thanks-- Jen from Quebec :0)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

message 34: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Jen from Quebec :0) wrote: "I'll 2nd The Princess Bride !! I own a really cool paperback version from the 80's. Thanks-- Jen from Quebec :0)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman"

Thanks Jen :) That is a cool edition indeed.

message 35: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I'll second The Princess Bride
My second favorite fairy tale

message 36: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments BAM wrote: "I'll second The Princess Bride
My second favorite fairy tale"

Thanks BAM :)

message 37: by Anonymouse (new)

Anonymouse | 38 comments Seconding Middlemarch.

message 38: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Summary of Nomination Process

Middlemarch by George Eliot, 1871, 904 pages, Group read: 2016
Kimberly, Aprilleigh, Milena, Pam, Piyangie, Margaret, Terry, Anonymouse

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace, 1880, 620 pages, Group read: 2012
Anna Lynn, J_BlueFlower, Julie, Petra, Loretta, Samanta

The Princess Bride by William Goldman, 1973, 398 pages, Group read: 2015
Aubrey, Bárbara, Wreade1872, Jen from Quebec, BAM

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, 1929, 326 pages, Group read: 2011
Kathleen, Pamela, Christopher, Anette

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, 1962, 192 pages, Group read: 2012, 2014
Paula W, Liesl, Carrie

Lord of the Flies by William Golding, 1954, 182 pages, Group read: 2016
MK, Jessica

Shirley (stampartiste) | 662 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'm going out on a very creaky limb here, and will nominate The Sound and the Fury. It's listed on the group shelf, but I haven't located the last time it was read.

Maybe there are o..."

Another second for The Sound and the Fury! Yes, I do need encouragement to read it as I MUST mark it off my list so I can stop thinking about it! 😆

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I second The Sound and the Fury

message 41: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Thank you Shirley and Kelly!

message 42: by Philina (last edited Apr 09, 2019 03:08AM) (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I nominate The Call of Cthulhu.

I've been wanting to read this for ages for all its influence on George R.R. Martin and The Song of Ice and Fire Series. Let's see how this compares to Ironborn mythology of the Deep Ones and the Old Ones of Leng.
I also put it on my Bingo card.

message 43: by Darren (last edited Apr 10, 2019 03:07PM) (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments I nominate Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, 1899, 188 pages, Group read: 2011

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

message 44: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 74 comments I second Lord of the Flies

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina | 104 comments I second The Sound and the Fury.

message 46: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1199 comments I do want to read some Faulkner, and yes with a support group, but I actually fancy reading The Princess Bride, so I’ll second that! 😆

message 47: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Leni wrote: "I do want to read some Faulkner, and yes with a support group, but I actually fancy reading The Princess Bride, so I’ll second that! 😆"

Thanks Leni :)

message 48: by Angie (new)

Angie | 572 comments I'll second The Sound & the Fury.

message 49: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Apr 14, 2019 08:48PM) (new)

Only a couple of days left --
Summary of Nomination Process

Middlemarch by George Eliot, 1871, 904 pages, Group read: 2016
Kimberly, Aprilleigh, Milena, Pam, Piyangie, Margaret, Terry, Anonymouse

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, 1929, 326 pages, Group read: 2011
Kathleen, Pamela, Christopher, Anette, Shirley (stampartiste), Kelly, Tina, Angie

The Princess Bride by William Goldman, 1973, 398 pages, Group read: 2015
Aubrey, Bárbara, Wreade1872, Jen from Quebec, BAM, Leni

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace, 1880, 620 pages, Group read: 2012
Anna Lynn, J_BlueFlower, Julie, Petra, Loretta, Samanta

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, 1962, 192 pages, Group read: 2012, 2014
Paula W, Liesl, Carrie, Marilyn, Pink

Lord of the Flies by William Golding, 1954, 182 pages, Group read: 2016
MK, Jessica, Johanne, Petrichor

The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft, 1928, 43 pages, Group read: 2017
Philina

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, 1899, 188 pages, Group read: 2011
Darren

message 50: by Marilyn (new)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.