Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

New Kid (New Kid, #1)
This topic is about New Kid
Newbery 2020 > April Read - New Kid

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 560 comments Mod
Jerry Craft is getting a lot of praise for his graphic novel New Kid. It's difficult for a graphic novel to win the Newbery with story-line alone. Is New Kid distinguished enough to win an award?

Josephine Sorrell (jothebookgirl) | 251 comments It’s getting lots of praise, but it was just okay for me. I enjoy graphic novels, but I probably wasn’t the right audience for this one.

message 3: by Monica (last edited Apr 02, 2019 02:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica Edinger | 64 comments I think it is fantastic and would hope the Real Committee is taking a close look. Craft captures with piercing accuracy, humor, and a gentle touch the subtle and not-so-subtle humiliations and trials of a child of color in an elite private school. In addition to the micro-aggressions, he is managing the usual trials of middle school. Who are his friends? What about that weird girl? What does he really want to do? I thought it was splendid. My blog review: here.

message 4: by Candice (new)

Candice Lucas | 36 comments I like the topics New Kid puts on the table but the writing was too TELL for me. The graphic novel format should really lend itself to _showing_ the impact of the micro-aggressions and code switching in the new school, but it did not.
It's another good realistic graphic novel for my collection, but I didn't find the story to be extraordinary.

Czechgirl | 214 comments I liked the story, but it was not a stand-out for me.

Louie | 47 comments I enjoyed how humorous and relatable it was. I liked how realistic it felt and I think that a lot of people are going to relate to it, but to me it didn't feel like a Newbery. Maybe an honor though.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 173 comments NEW KID by Jerry Craft is
another story about a poor black kid attending a mostly white private school. I am familiar with the neighborhoods of the narrative: Washington Heights, Inwood, Riverdale, Yonkers. These settings were described realistically.
I liked the character development. Jordan made friends, expanded his understanding of art, was willing to reach out to kids who were not always welcomed by others. However, he was still not sure of his place within this school as well as his home neighborhood.
I also liked the ways that metaphor and simile were demonstrated in the text.
I do think a graphic novel has to be evaluated as a whole since text and art work together to tell the story. It will be interesting to see how the Newbery committee interprets the guidelines for this book.

Melissa | 3 comments For me it is a outstanding graphic novel, but I agree not as strong and surprising as I expect a Newbery to be.

message 9: by LS (new) - added it

LS Johnson | 82 comments Although this is a great book, I’m not sure it can or will be considered by the committee for a Newbery Award. One of the main criteria is that it must consider only the text of the book as making a “contribution to American literature”. The pictures and art in this book tell a great deal of the story. I think the story is too weak without the illustrations. My opinion is that it’s a good book, but not a Newbery contender.

Shella | 156 comments I'm not a graphic novel fan and there are just a handful I like- this is one added to that handful. I liked how the author did not paint all the white characters as evil. His parents' attitude is to be admired. I like the message to stick to a hard situation- keep looking for the silver lining- and stay positive. He did not let his anger and frustration get the better of him and he is a good role model. I think the micro aggressions were portrayed in a way that will be great lessons for its readers. I also really enjoyed the pages showing the character's art. Since the Newbery is focused on the text of a book- I don't think graphic novels belong in this award category. Graphic novels are a unique type of book. I highly recommend this book- just not for this award.

Shari | 84 comments I'm glad that I read it, but I don't see it winning the Newbery.

message 12: by Beth (last edited Apr 17, 2019 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 23 comments I'm personally not enamored with graphic novels, but for that type, New Kid was a good read. We have a lot of graphic novels featuring the social angst of female experiences in middle school and not many focusing on boys, so I appreciated that perspective. I didn't like it as much as Roller Girl, but it seems like the kind of book that could get kids talking. I'm not sure that it is Newbery-worthy, but I would definitely recommend it to kids.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 173 comments Despite the question of whether a graphic novel falls within Newbery guidelines, NEW KID is my favorite read so far this year. On my second reading, I found a richness to the text. The characters are nuanced. The conflicts unfold with subtlety. But there are several months to find a book I like better.

Josephine Sorrell (jothebookgirl) | 251 comments Is New Kid our April read?

message 15: by Louie (last edited Apr 20, 2019 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louie | 47 comments Josephine wrote: "Is New Kid our April read?"

Yeah, Our book for April is New Kid by Jerry Craft.

message 16: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Marlatt | 73 comments Here is my review from having read the book a few months ago. I DO think is it a contender for the medal. There are many deep and interesting aspects to this book.
"What a fantastic graphic novel! I believe kids and adults alike will love the story and the art.
For students: Jordan Banks is a believable character who exposes live as a minority in a private school very well - he deals with all the issues of being the “new kid” in very reasonable ways and without cheap shots that would be so easy for the author to use. Students will identify with Jordan as the new kids. Minority students will identify with many things Jordan goes through. If the student is not a minority, the book will give him/her a fresh perspective on the issue.
For teachers: so many things to explore! Perspectives, voice, race, stereotypes, friendship... I loved how the author used his art to add to the conversation without add more words. For example: when Jordan was talking to someone and it felt like they were from different planets ( we all have been there), the author drew the characters standing in different planets talking. Sounds simple enough but, for the reader, this is such a huge schema-filler!
I hope this awesome book finds itself in the hands of many middle schoolers soon!"

message 17: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn (jennmonk) | 40 comments So far this year, this is also one of my top picks. I am a graphic novel reader but I often find myself bored with juvenile comics or irritated by the easy stereotypes and plots. However, this book totally avoided those problems. It is, honestly, a book for any age group.

message 18: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan (janvanhuizen) | 1 comments I'm sorry, this is an off topic question, but I can't find earlier 2020 discussion topics. Could someone let me know what the January and February reads for this group were please? thank you!

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 173 comments The 2020 watch list is at:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There were no books selected for January or February because the 2019 award was not announced until the end of January.

Charlene (booknerd216) | 13 comments I enjoyed reading the graphic novel New Kid. I love how Jerry Craft interjected himself into the novel making the main character Jordan and artist. As someone who works at a private school I could not get over the accuracy of the story. I loved the characters Drew and Liam who help Jordan realize it doesn't have to be either/or but it can be both. I appreciate Craft acknowledging assumptions, stereotypes and micro-aggressions kids of color face daily. The biggest disparity of socio-economics was highlighted from both perspectives making this novel relevant to all readers. A true and timely story, I'll be rooting for!

message 21: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil Jensen | 161 comments I liked it a lot, for the reasons that Ana and Charlene have already mentioned.

I liked it a bit less than I liked Roller Girl, although I don't think they are really similar enough for comparison. A better comparison would be Piecing Me Together, which I loved.

I did not think there was too much "tell" in the book. The characters experienced things and then discussed them. That's realism.

I am not keen on graphic novels winning the Newbery award, but I wouldn't be upset if this one got an Honor.