The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

93 views
Important Items > Nominations open -- May 2019 group reads: Native American Mysteries

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
This month I'm asking you to nominate any mystery/crime/thriller book either written about or written by Native Americans. Don't forget Alaska, and true crime is also okay.

Here's a link to a long list of possibilities:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/book...

The usual:
As always,

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

Happy nominating!!


message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13560 comments I nominate Shaman Pass by Stan Jones.


message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena Finding Moon - this book was recommended to me by a friend here on Goodreads!


message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I nominate Shaman Pass by Stan Jones."

Is it okay that it's book #2 in the series? I mean, do you think it will hurt anyone by not having read book #1?


message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 09, 2019 05:42AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Recap:
1. Shaman Pass, by Stan Jones (Carol)
2. Finding Moon, by Tony Hillerman (Lena)
3. Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon (Suzy)
4. Cry Dance, by Kirk Mitchell (Chris)


message 6: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Seven Graves One Winter Would this count?


message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Since it's Greenland, probably not, but I just bought a copy, so thanks! :)

Pick another book, Gisela!


message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13560 comments Nancy wrote: "Carol wrote: "I nominate Shaman Pass by Stan Jones."

Is it okay that it's book #2 in the series? I mean, do you think it will hurt anyone by not having read book #1?"


I don’t, although series completists will object and vote for another selection, I imagine. Reviews for book two are much stronger than book 1, and I’d rather nominate the better read.


message 9: by Gisela (last edited Apr 03, 2019 04:23AM) (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Nancy wrote: "Since it's Greenland, probably not, but I just bought a copy, so thanks! :)

Pick another book, Gisela!"


I am so rubbish at this. I'm not sure if I have another one on my to-read list which would fit, but this is an interesting, so I will definitely try and read the chosen book.


message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Gisela wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Since it's Greenland, probably not, but I just bought a copy, so thanks! :)

Pick another book, Gisela!"

I am so rubbish at this. I'm not sure if I have another one on my to-read lis..."


no worries.


message 11: by MissLemon (last edited Apr 04, 2019 12:44AM) (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 254 comments Is it OK to nominate a different Tony Hillerman please ?

I have A Thief of Time on my TBR list because it's on a CWA list (and possibly because it shares a name with a Terry Pratchett book!) It is number 8 a series though, so I've been a bit dubious about reading it before the others. So if it's not OK to nominate it that's fine.

Thanks for this months theme Nancy, I'm very interested to read whatever gets voted in


message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Carolyn wrote: "Is it OK to nominate a different Tony Hillerman please ?

I have A Thief of Time on my TBR list because it's on a CWA list (and possibly because it shares a name with ..."


Well, we normally take only one book by a given author during nominations, so it might be better to think of another title. Sorry, Carolyn.

I'm surprised, actually that there are only two books so far, but if two it is, two it is. We won't even need to do a poll.


message 13: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments Carolyn wrote: "Is it OK to nominate a different Tony Hillerman please ?

I have A Thief of Time on my TBR list because it's on a CWA list (and possibly because it shares a name with ..."


That's a good book!


message 14: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments I'll nominate Murder on the Red River, written by a member of the White Earth Nation here in Minnesota! (Thanks for the B&N list. It's interesting to see how many books there are.)


message 15: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 254 comments Nancy wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Is it OK to nominate a different Tony Hillerman please ?

I have A Thief of Time on my TBR list because it's on a CWA list (and possibly because it sha..."


No problem Nancy. I didn't really want to lead a discussion again having just done it. Will probably read it anyway , it depends if I can get hold of a copy more easily than whichever book does get voted in.


message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 04, 2019 01:52PM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "I'll nominate Murder on the Red River, written by a member of the White Earth Nation here in Minnesota! (Thanks for the B&N list. It's interesting to see how many books there are.)"

Thanks, Suzy. I was amazed at how many Native American authors have written mystery/crime novels.


message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris | 250 comments I'll nominate Cry Dance by Kirk Mitchell


message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "I'll nominate Cry Dance by Kirk Mitchell"

Chris wrote: "I'll nominate Cry Dance by Kirk Mitchell"

I'll add it to the list. Thanks!


message 19: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35944 comments Chris wrote: "I'll nominate Cry Dance by Kirk Mitchell"

That was a good series.


message 20: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
The poll will go up today. Thanks to all of you who nominated a book.


message 21: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Okay,the poll is up now. Go vote!!


message 22: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2969 comments Where can I find said poll?


message 23: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Patty wrote: "Where can I find said poll?"

You can always get to the poll by clicking on the "polls" link at the top right hand corner of our group's page.


message 24: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2969 comments I went to the page, but on my phone. I’ll need to get on my tablet.


message 26: by Angelina (new)

Angelina | 120 comments These all look great, not sure I will be able to source any in my English village library :(


message 27: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
For the May group reads:

Coming in first is Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon, while second place is Finding Moon, by Tony Hillerman.

Thanks everyone who nominated and who voted!! Threads will go up on the 30th of April, as I'm leaving May 1 for 10 days. Carol, Lena, I'll be contacting you.


message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill Nancy wrote: "For the May group reads:

Coming in first is Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon, while second place is Finding Moon, by Tony Hillerman.

Thanks everyone who nomi..."


Where are you headed off to?


message 29: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 15, 2019 01:04PM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "For the May group reads:

Coming in first is Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon, while second place is Finding Moon, by Tony Hillerman.


Puerto Vallarta. First order of business: mezcal and posole.


message 30: by Bill (new)

Bill Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "For the May group reads:

Coming in first is Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon, while second place is Finding Moon, by Tony Hillerman..."


Enjoy!


message 31: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "For the May group reads:

Coming in first is Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon, while second place is Finding Moon, by ..."


Thanks. I'll still be available online but sporadically. I have to figure out how many books to take. That could be difficult.


Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments Have a great time!


message 33: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Have a great time!"

I will, thanks!! But I'm still around for two weeks before I go.


message 34: by Bill (new)

Bill Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "For the May group reads:

Coming in first is Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon, while second place is [book:Finding Moo..."


We'll keep things moving along.. Not to worry. Focus on your book selections and your vacation.. :)


message 35: by Lena (new)

Lena My second time modding a Read here, fingers crossed it goes better than last time.


message 36: by Bill (new)

Bill Lena wrote: "My second time modding a Read here, fingers crossed it goes better than last time."

Thanks for nominating the book and moderating the thread. I hope response is good too. They can be hit or miss.


message 37: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 79 comments Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "For the May group reads:

Coming in first is Murder on the Red River, by Marcie Rendon, while second place is Finding Moon, by ..."


I was surprised to see Finding Moon among the nominations. It's not part of Hillerman's Navajo police series. It's a standalone set in Cambodia, Vietnam and other Asian areas. A good book, but not Native American.


message 38: by Lena (new)

Lena I thought the MC was Native American.


message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill It's not set in North America it seems. But the book is listed in the link Nancy provided referring to books about / with Native Americans.. I guess the story will tell eh?


message 40: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
I don't read those books, so I assumed Hillerman was Native American because of the content of his novels. Oh well. A bit late now to make a change -- it would be helpful, maybe, if errors are caught earlier. Maybe as Lena said, the main character is Native American.


message 41: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Hello. I nominate The Visitant


message 42: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments A thought - earlier in the nomination process, Carolyn nominated A Thief of Time, which is one of Hillerman's best that takes place on the Navajo reservation. Could that be substituted for Finding Moon, which in looking at the book blurb is definitely not a Native American mystery?

Hillerman is not Native American but he (and now his daughter) wrote one of the great Navajo mystery series. Most authors on the list provided are not Native American; they just write about them.


message 43: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 79 comments Lena wrote: "I thought the MC was Native American."

Not that I recall. I've decided to re-read it.


message 44: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 79 comments Suzy wrote: "A thought - earlier in the nomination process, Carolyn nominated A Thief of Time, which is one of Hillerman's best that takes place on the Navajo reservation. Could that be substitute..."

A Thief of Time is my favorite of the series, and I've read all of them.


message 45: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Well, people, I'm sending out the message to all members tomorrow, so please help me out here. What would you like me to do?


message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill I guess if most people think that the story doesn't fit the category, I'd suggest moving on to the 3rd selection....


message 47: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 254 comments Probably shouldn't comment as I didn't vote this time (I decided I'm going to read Thief Of Time.) But for once I disagree with Bill. The people who voted, I assume, have looked at the book discriptions and decided they want to read and discuss them, they should be 'allowed' to if they still want.

Or we could do what many people would like to do here in the UK and have another vote! 😉


message 48: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments Carolyn wrote: "Probably shouldn't comment as I didn't vote this time (I decided I'm going to read Thief Of Time.) But for once I disagree with Bill. The people who voted, I assume, have looked at the book discrip..."

:)


message 49: by Bill (new)

Bill Carolyn wrote: "Probably shouldn't comment as I didn't vote this time (I decided I'm going to read Thief Of Time.) But for once I disagree with Bill. The people who voted, I assume, have looked at the book discrip..."

I don't disagree with you Carolyn. I'd been thinking the same thing as I was turning on my computer this morning. A large number of people voted to discuss the book. Let them... I think my comment would have been more appropriate if those people no longer wanted to discuss.


message 50: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
I've been puzzling over this one for a while now, and have decided to let it go as is.

First, it was my error for not doing some vetting and for making an assumption without checking.

Second, I don't really want to explain what happened when the chances are that of all that people who voted for this book, maybe at the most ten will actually read it and participate, so the fact that it's not settled in the heart of Native America or written by a Native American author can be a talking point started by the moderator when it comes to the discussion.

All I can do is apologize for my error and let the chips fall. Message going out later today.


« previous 1
back to top