What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult, suspense, main character just released from prison. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Zann | 2 comments It's about a man who has spend the last 30 years or so in prison for committing murder/fraud. He is released but struggles to find his place in a changed world. I think it's set sometime between 1990 and 2010. I started the book in about 2012 -+ 3 years.
The man tries to find his place in a rapidly changing society but he has no qualifications that are up to date, no one wants to hire him and his friends and family won't see him. He starts to think that the only place he would feel safe now is the prison. He knows how things work there and what is expected of him, he is fed and has a roof over his head.
He formulates a plan to get himself back to prison but finds that he is unable to break the law to such an extreme degree again. In the end he kills himself in his desperation.
Hope that is enough info to remind someone of the book. Thanks.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32285 comments Mod
Tamara, can you tell us more about the man - his age, job/skills/interests before going to prison, marital status, family/friends before & after prison, types of jobs he tries to get after prison, etc.?

What's the location - country, region, well-known city, small town?

I added a spoiler alert to the topic header.

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Zann | 2 comments Oh hi,

I didn't get an update that someone had commented on my post.
The man is between 60 and 70 when he is released from prison. His job I can't remember but it was one that now uses machines. He might have been an auto mechanic. I think he was in a relationship before prison but that ended because of it.
I think after prison he called one of his old friends up and wanted to meet him but that friend said he had moved out of town. I can't remember if he actually did or lied.
I think it's set in the US and it was not a big city but big enough to be no one. He applied everywhere he could but because he had to write that he was an ex-convict on his application no one would hire him.
Mh, I remember more about this than I thought. But still not quite enough.
Thanks again.