Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Kindred
This topic is about Kindred
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Kindred - No Spoiler

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Apr 01, 2019 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler is our New School read for May 2019.

This is the No Spoiler Thread
The Spoiler Thread will open May 1st

This early posting of the No Spoiler thread is to discuss any non-plot issues pertaining to the book.

Appropriate Posts can contain:
1. Information about the author.
2. Compare editions/translations.
3. Any historical or background information
4. Are you familiar with this author’s work? Do you have any expectations going into the book?
5. What made you decide to read this book?
6. Any fan fiction that you have read or would like to read? Just link the books.
7. If you loved the book and want others to share in that experience, use this thread to motivate others, again save plot specifics for the Spoiler thread
8. If you hated the book, it would be best to keep that for the spoiler page

The most important thing to remember is no plot discussion. Any post that contains plot information or spoilers will be deleted.

Milena (milenas) | 458 comments I feel I should comment since I nominated this book. The main reason I nominated it is because I plan to read it for the Classic Bingo challenge category of Sci-Fi classic. Also, it is the supposedly the first science fiction book written by a black woman. I have not read anything else by Octavia Butler.

Philina | 1562 comments I'm in, also reading it for my Bingo, only not for SciFi but rather 20th Century Classic.

Aubrey (korrick) | 2357 comments It's cool that this won. Butler is grand.

Kathleen | 3580 comments Aubrey wrote: "It's cool that this won. Butler is grand."

Yes! I don't have time for a re-read but will be watching the threads. Enjoy, everyone.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
I downloaded a copy for my Kindle. Hoping to read it next month with the group.

message 7: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I've been wanting to read this forever. I also have it on my kindle. Hopefully I can fit it in next month :)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments This has been on my TBR for so long and I was planning to get to it this year so this is perfect! I am also using it for the Sci Fi category in the Bingo challenge.

I have a hold placed on the ebook and it should come through right around the 1st of the month.

message 9: by Ila (new)

Ila | 336 comments I don't have this on my challenges but its always a treat to read Butler. I greatly enjoyed her Xenogenesis trilogy last year.

message 10: by Gary (last edited Apr 18, 2019 07:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary I first read Kindred as part of an African-American Authors class back in college. It was the prof's introductory novel to the topic, apparently under the impression that starting off right away with Beloved or James Baldwin might have been too much. I think she was right. It made for a good novel to start off the semester with, and dovetailed neatly into (if I recall correctly) Zora Neale Hurston.

I reread it a couple of years back as part of a GR bookclub, and found it even more approachable the second time around.

Since this is a non-spoiler thread, I'll make this suggestion: beware of the "Intro/blurb" in this edition: Kindred! It's basically a massive spoiler. Skip it and/or read it last. Other copies may have other introductory text, but I'd shy away from them if that edition is anything to go by....

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments Gary wrote: "I first read Kindred as part of an African-American Authors class back in college. It was the prof's introductory novel to the topic, apparently under the impression that starting off right away wi..."

Which Zora Neale Hurston did you read? The only one I've read so far was Their Eyes Were Watching God. Once I got used to the dialect (I always have some trouble getting into books that do this, but it's been worth it every single time and becomes a necessary part of the experience) I really enjoyed it.

message 12: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Aprilleigh wrote: "Which Zora Neale Hurston did you read? The only one I've read so far was Their Eyes Were Watching God. Once I got used to the dialect (I always have some trouble getting into books that do this, but it's been worth it every single time and becomes a necessary part of the experience) I really enjoyed it."

We read that one. It's kind of her opus.... I've read a couple other pieces by her: Every Tongue Got to Confess and some of her short stories and academic works. Good stuff, but Their Eyes Were Watching God is a masterpiece.

Octavia Butler made for an interesting intro to the genre of Af-Am writers. Her book Fledgling is an interesting (if somewhat creepy on a couple levels...) take on the vampire novel that didn't quite tap into the whole vampire craze in fiction. I suspect that's because it's somewhat of a bizarre take on the notion in several ways. Her Earthseed series is pretty dark on a bunch of levels too. I still have to pick up the second in that series....

Kathleen | 3580 comments Gary wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "Which Zora Neale Hurston did you read? The only one I've read so far was Their Eyes Were Watching God. Once I got used to the dialect (I always have some trouble getting into boo..."

I always love seeing positive comments about Their Eyes Were Watching God! One of my favorites.

Kindred is the only book I've read of Butler's, and I was planning to read Parable of the Sower next, but Fledgling really intrigues me, (especially since I'm currently reading Dracula). Does anyone have thoughts on which of these two would be better to read next?

Aubrey (korrick) | 2357 comments Kathleen wrote: "Gary wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "Which Zora Neale Hurston did you read? The only one I've read so far was Their Eyes Were Watching God. Once I got used to the dialect (I always have some trouble get..."

I didn't much like PotS, so I'd vote for Fledgling just so I could see what it's all about.

message 15: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Kathleen wrote: "Does anyone have thoughts on which of these two would be better to read next?"

Fledgling would be an interesting contrast with Dracula, but it could give you a bit of reading whiplash if that's not your bag. It would be a little of a shock to the system. On the other hand, Parable of the Sower is 1 of 3, which is more of a commitment because (having only read the first one myself...) I get the impression that one really has to get through all three to have a good handle on what she was doing there.

Kathleen | 3580 comments Thanks for the thoughts, Aubrey and Gary. We shall see ...

message 17: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Kathleen wrote: "Thanks for the thoughts, Aubrey and Gary. We shall see ..."

Very welcome.

message 18: by Leni (last edited Apr 29, 2019 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments I'm very pleased Kindred won the poll. I've been meaning to read some Butler for a few years now, and I have a few of her books on my Kindle. But Kindred I actually have in a physical copy. I have a short story collection on my Old and New challenge and Parable of the Sower on my Women's Century Challenge, so this might turn into the Year of Butler.

Gary: Parable is one of three books? I thought it was a duology! I have Parable of the Talents. What is the third book called?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Milena wrote: "I feel I should comment since I nominated this book. The main reason I nominated it is because I plan to read it for the Classic Bingo challenge category of Sci-Fi classic. Also, it is the supposed..."

ditto! I am not usually a reader of SciFi so this fits the bill.

message 20: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Leni wrote: "Parable is one of three books? I thought it was a duology! I have Parable of the Talents. What is the third book called?"

You're correct. Should be "1 of 2" and "both" in that post.

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kirstenaucoin) I've only read a graphic novel of Kindred before. I actually absolutely loved Parable of the Sower, after reading it for a literature course last semester. I'm curious to read more of Butler's works now.

Gem  | 18 comments I've never read Octavia Butler before but having completed this book I'd like to read more of her. I listened to an audio edition, which often times and this is one of them, brings the characters to life. This book has been on my TBR list for some time, I love when I can participate in a group read and mark a book off my TBR list.

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments Yes, I'll be looking at more of her work soon, as well. Powerful stuff. I hope her others live up to the promise this one suggests.

Terry | 1353 comments I am just starting Kindred and already loving it! I have also never read anything by Butler, but I now know I will want to read more.

message 25: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Terry wrote: "I am just starting Kindred and already loving it! I have also never read anything by Butler, but I now know I will want to read more."

I felt the same way with the first few pages.