Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > June 2019 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
June 2019 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4.) Only one nomination or one second per member. will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a.) A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

5.) Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a.) Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

7.) Moderator will choose a surprise sixth book to add to the poll.

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1428 comments I would like to nominate: Survival in Auschwitz (also know as "If This Is a Man") by Primo Levi, first published 1947.

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 685 comments I nominate Fraulein Schmidt and Mr Anstruther by Elizabeth von Arnim. Published in 1907.

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I nominate Omensetter's Luck by William H. Gass. Greeted as a masterpiece when it was first published in 1966, Omensetter's Luck is the quirky and breathtakingly original story of an ordinary community galvanized by the presence of an extraordinary man. Set in a small Ohio town in the 1890s, it chronicles the confrontation between Brackett Omensetter, a man of preternatural goodness, and the Reverend Jethro Furber, a preacher crazed with a propensity for violent thoughts. (315 Pages)

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2358 comments I nominate The Story of My Life by Helen Keller (pub 1902, 240 pp).

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina I will second The Story of My Life.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2358 comments Brina wrote: "I will second The Story of My Life."

Thanks Brina :)

message 9: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 554 comments I want to nominate Eureka Street by Robert McLiam Wilson.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I nominate Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

message 11: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I would like to nominate Captain Blood, by Rafael Sabatini.
Captain Blood by Rafael SabatiniCaptain Blood
(Captain Blood #1), by Rafael Sabatini
4.16 · Rating details · 13,213 ratings · 738 reviews

Short Description: Peter Blood, an Irish physician and soldier in England in the 1680's, is wrongly convicted of treason and sentenced to indentured slavery in the Caribbean. He escapes and becomes the most feared pirate captain on the Spanish Main, but all the glory of his adventures cannot help him, for the woman he loves cannot love a thief and pirate. Even when he destroys England's enemies, even at his most triumphant...but wait! What's that... Long Description: Peter Blood, an Irish physician and former soldier is happily settled, in the 1680's, as the doctor in an English town, when the rebellion of the Duke of Monmouth catches him by accident. He saves a man's life, as a doctor must try to do, but the man is a rebel and the hanging Judge Jeffreys sentences him to ten years as an indentured slave in the Caribbean colonies. Once there, his knowledge as a physician is recognized, and thus he meets and falls in love with the daughter of the man who own his servitude; not likely to be a successful love story! A Spanish ship attacks the town, and while the Spaniards celebrate their victory he boldly steals their ship, and he and his fellow convicts sail off to become the boldest and most fearless of pirates among the islands and on the Spanish Main. But all the glory of his adventures cannot help him, for the woman he loves cannot love a thief and pirate. Even when he destroys England's enemies, even at his most triumphant...but wait! Is that... The classic novel of adventure and romance, and one of Sabatini's best.

Paperback, 236 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1922)
Original Title Captain Blood: His Odyssey
ISBN 1406800163 (ISBN13: 9781406800166)
Edition Language English
Series Captain Blood #1
Characters Dr. Peter Blood
setting Caribbean Barbados, 1686

Rafael Sabatini Rafael Sabatini
368 followers
Rafael Sabatini (1875 - 1950) was an Italian/British writer of novels of romance and adventure. At a young age, Rafael was exposed to many languages. By the time he was seventeen, he was the master of five languages. He quickly added a sixth language - English - to his linguistic collection. After a brief stint in the business world, Sabatini went to work as a writer. He wrote short stories in the 1890s, and his first novel came out in 1902. Sabatini was a prolific writer; he produced a new book approximately every year. He consciously chose to write in his adopted language, because, he said, "all the best stories are written in English. " In all, he produced thirty one novels, eight short story collections, six nonfiction books, numerous uncollected short stories, and a play. He is best known for his world-wide bestsellers: The Sea Hawk (1915), Scaramouche (1921), Captain Blood (1922) and Bellarion the Fortunate (1926). Other famous works by Sabatini are The Lion's Skin (1911), The Strolling Saint (1913) and The Snare (1917).

message 12: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1357 comments I will second Captain Blood, me hearties!

message 13: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments I'll nominate Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys again.

message 14: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Terry wrote: "I will second Captain Blood, me hearties!"

:)

message 15: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys again."

And I will second this again ;-)

message 16: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 761 comments I'll also second Captain Blood.

message 17: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments Philina wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys again."

And I will second this again ;-)"

I will second WSS too.

message 18: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 96 comments I will second Birdsong.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 130 comments I love Birdsong, but since I've already read it, I'll second Wide Sargasso Sea instead.

message 20: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 460 comments I second Wide Sargasso Sea.

message 21: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I will second Birdsong."
Thank you Karen.

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 258 comments I would like to nominate The Collector by John Fowles

message 23: by Annette (new)

Annette | 442 comments MK wrote: "I would like to nominate Captain Blood, by Rafael Sabatini.Captain Blood by Rafael SabatiniCaptain Blood
(Captain Blood #1), by Rafael Sabatini
4.16 · Rating details ·..."

I also second Captain Blood.

message 24: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Wreade1872 wrote: "I'll also second Captain Blood."

Annette wrote: "I also second Captain Blood."

message 25: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1543 comments I will also second Captain Blood.

message 26: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I will also second Captain Blood."

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1216 comments I'll second Wide Sargasso Sea.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 26 comments I'd like to nominate Fernando Pessoa's The Book of Disquiet.
The Book of Disquiet: The Complete Edition

Described as a "book to give you hope" by The Guardian.

message 30: by Janice (JG) (last edited Apr 03, 2019 06:31PM) (new)

Janice (JG) | 104 comments I second The Story of My Life by Helen Keller. I've really wanted to read this for years.

message 31: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 74 comments I'll second The Book of Disquiet. My husband loves Pessoa in general and that book in particular, so I'm already planning on reading it.

message 32: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2358 comments Janice (JG) wrote: "I second The Story of My Life by Helen Keller. I've really wanted to read this for years."

Thanks Janice :)

message 33: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 420 comments I would like to nominate Foe by J.M. Coetzee

It is a re-appropriation of Robinson Crusoe.

message 34: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 203 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate Fraulein Schmidt and Mr Anstruther by Elizabeth von Arnim. Published in 1907."

I'll second this.

message 35: by PinkieBrown (new)

PinkieBrown As a first attempt at suggesting a book; I would offer-

The Power And The Glory, Graham Greene, 1940

John Updike writes in his introduction;
“In 1960, a Catholic teacher in California wrote Greene:

One day I gave The Power and the Glory to ... a native of Mexico who lived through the worst persecutions .. She confessed that your descriptions were so vivid, your priest so real, that she found herself praying for him at Mass. “

The first lines of the novel read;
“Mr Tench went out to look for his ether cylinder, into the blazing Mexican sun and the bleaching dust. A few vultures looked down from the roof with shabby indifference: he wasn’t carrion yet.”

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Not a second, just providing the link.

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene, 222 pages, 1940

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments I second Wide Sargasso Sea.

message 38: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments PinkieBrown wrote: "As a first attempt at suggesting a book; I would offer-

The Power And The Glory, Graham Greene, 1940

John Updike writes in his introduction;
“In 1960, a Catholic teacher in California wrote Gree..."

That's a good one. If it doesn't make it this month, I will second it next time.

Or, if Wide Sargasso Sea is doing all right, I will switch my second.

Stay tuned.

message 39: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 0 comments I second Omensetter's Luck.

message 40: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 798 comments I'll nominate A Raisin in the Sun

message 41: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Margaret wrote: "I second Omensetter's Luck."

Thanks, Margaret. With so many good books being nominated I wasn't sure if it would even get a second!

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3046 comments Tammy wrote: "I nominate Omensetter's Luck by William H. Gass. Greeted as a masterpiece when it was first published in 1966, Omensetter's Luck is the quirky and breathtakingly origin..."

I'll second Omensetter's Luck

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel wrote: "I'd like to nominate Fernando Pessoa's The Book of Disquiet.
The Book of Disquiet: The Complete Edition

Described as a "book to give you hope" by The Guardian."

I'll second this as well.

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane | 15 comments I second Mary Stewart s , Nine coaches waiting

message 45: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2799 comments Mod
Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys again."

This book sounds fascinating. I second the nomination.

Shirley (stampartiste) | 600 comments Anna Lynn wrote: "I nominate Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart."

I'll also second Nine Coaches Waiting as it's been on my TBR shelf for a while. I need a light Gothic mystery to lighten my brain. haha. Thanks for nominating it, Anna Lynn!

message 47: by Angie (new)

Angie | 522 comments Jane wrote: "I second Mary Stewart s , Nine coaches waiting"

I'll second this one.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I second Nine Coaches Waiting

message 49: by Hélène (new)

message 50: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Apr 08, 2019 07:16AM) (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
5.) Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

Please note, we now have one book with two titles written by the same author, Primo Levi. As of now neither has received a second.

Book in question-
If This Is a Man message #49
Survival in Auschwitz message #2

One could be withdrawn or we can wait and see which one, if either, is seconded first.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.