Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > June 2019 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
June 2019 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw
The Last Day of a Condemned Man

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

9. Moderator will choose a surprise sixth book to add to the poll.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1418 comments A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift, 1729, 48 pages

message 3: by Anna Lynn (last edited Apr 01, 2019 06:38AM) (new)

Anna Lynn (annalynn11) I nominate The Ballad of the Sad Café by Carson McCullers (72 pages). It is compiled in The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories.

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
Anna Lynn wrote: "I nominate The Ballad of the Sad Café by Carson McCullers (72 pages). It is compiled in The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories."

Title story only is 72 pages (+-) and was published in 1951

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 685 comments I nominate The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells. Published in 1904 and 22 pages

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2356 comments I nominate Sofia Petrovna by Lydia Chukovskaya (pub 1965, 120 pp).

message 7: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 751 comments I'll second Country of the Blind.

message 8: by Brina (new)

Brina I’ll second The Ballad of the Sad Cafe (title story).

message 9: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Sofia Petrovna by Lydia Chukovskaya (pub 1965, 120 pp)."

Do you have any information about the availability of this book? A quick check of Amazon and Barnes & Noble has this listed at a cost of $16.00. I haven’t found an e-book copy yet, still looking. My state library system doesn’t have a copy, but a lot of the state universities have copies, doesn’t help non students. Please let us know if any other sources are out there.

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2356 comments I'll rescind my nomination if these previously unexplained stipulations affect my choice of work.

message 11: by Wreade1872 (last edited Apr 01, 2019 02:05PM) (new)

Wreade1872 | 751 comments Bob wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Sofia Petrovna by Lydia Chukovskaya (pub 1965, 120 pp)."

Do you have any information about the availability of this book? A quick check of A..."

It seems to be on the openlibrary.org in english couple of times, https://openlibrary.org/works/OL61977...
https://openlibrary.org/works/OL11061...

...they also have it in my library but i'm in ireland so that won't help for many people ;) .

message 12: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments It shouldn't affect your ability to nominate it, but it might affect the number of votes it gets since many of us check to see if we can get a copy before voting.

message 13: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
Aubrey wrote: "I'll rescind my nomination if these previously unexplained stipulations affect my choice of work."

Aprilleigh wrote: "It shouldn't affect your ability to nominate it, but it might affect the number of votes it gets since many of us check to see if we can get a copy before voting."

Other than meeting the category rule requirements, nothing restricts one’s ability to nominate a book. Your choice of work meets rule requirements and if it receives enough seconds it will go to the poll. I feel it is my job to let folks know about any potential difficulties I see with a nomination.

In this case I noticed this book could prove difficult for many members to secure a copy. Thank you for listing the link to Open Library, an organization I haven’t heard of before, but in all fairness it seems to have a limited number of copies with several readers currently on the wait list. At 13 days per check out period, that could be too long a wait time for many members.

message 14: by Loretta (new)

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3046 comments Bob wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I'll rescind my nomination if these previously unexplained stipulations affect my choice of work."

Aprilleigh wrote: "It shouldn't affect your ability to nominate it, but it might a..."

I appreciate it Bob because I've been caught not being able to get a book before. I always forget to check before I second.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to nominate The Devil by Leo Tolstoy (56 pages according to the default listing)

message 17: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 420 comments I would like to nominate In the Penal Colony by Franz Kafka (52 pages)

message 18: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 199 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells. Published in 1904 and 22 pages"

Seconded.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments I second A Modest Proposal

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I second The Devil.

message 21: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 798 comments I'd like to nominate The Ballad Of Reading Gaol just one more time. Just once more.

Shirley (stampartiste) | 599 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift, 1729, 48 pages"

Another second for A Modest Proposal. This sounds like a great introduction to Jonathan Swift's satirical writing style before I tackle Gulliver's Travels later this year. 🤞

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3579 comments Anna Lynn wrote: "I nominate The Ballad of the Sad Café by Carson McCullers (72 pages). It is compiled in The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories."

I'll second this also.

message 24: by Milena (new)

Milena | 257 comments I add another second to Anna Lynn's nomination: The Ballad of the Sad Café

message 25: by Tammy (new)

message 26: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Apr 10, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
June nominations through message #25 Four days left
Check for mistakes

The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells, 32 pages, 1904
Marilyn - Wreade1872, Loretta, Samanta,

A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift, 48 pages, 1729
J_BlueFlower - Jessica, Shirley, Tammy,

The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories Title Story, by Carson McCullers, 72 pages, 1951
Anna Lynn - Brina, Kathleen, Milena

The Devil by Leo Tolstoy, 56 pages, 1911
Pam - Margaret,

Sofia Petrovna by Lydia Chukovskaya, 120 pages, 1965
Aubrey -

In the Penal Colony by Franz Kafka52 pages, 1919
Liesl -

The Ballad Of Reading Gaol by Oscar Wilde, 37 pages, 1896
BAM -

message 27: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1824 comments I second The Ballad Of Reading Gaol

message 28: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 798 comments Thank you Darren I just really think it deserves to be on our shelf.

message 29: by Cynda (last edited Apr 10, 2019 08:02PM) (new)

Cynda | 2494 comments I too have been wanting to re-read The Ballad Of Reading Gaol by Oscar Wilde.
I also second The Ballad Of Reading Gaol

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie | 522 comments I'll add a second the The Ballad of Sad Cafe

message 31: by Ila (new)

Ila | 336 comments Another second for The ballad of Reading Gaol. Anything by Oscar Wilde is my jam

message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I'll second The Ballad of Reading Gaol.

message 33: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 798 comments Thanks for the Reading Gaol seconds!

message 34: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I second Sofia Petrovna

message 35: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Apr 15, 2019 06:00AM) (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
One day left
Check for mistakes

BAM - Darren, Cynda, Ila, Renee, Annette, (5)

Marilyn - Wreade1872, Loretta, Samanta, Sue, Pamela, (5)

The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories Title Story, by Carson McCullers, 72 pages, 1951
Anna Lynn - Brina, Kathleen, Milena, Angie, (4)

J_BlueFlower - Jessica, Shirley, Tammy, (3)

Pam - Margaret, Bob, (2)

Sofia Petrovna by Lydia Chukovskaya, 120 pages, 1965
Aubrey - Carol, (1)

In the Penal Colony by Franz Kafka52 pages, 1919
Liesl -

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
One day left

message 37: by Annette (new)

message 38: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3046 comments I'll second The Country of the Blind

message 39: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 258 comments I'll second The Country of the Blind

message 40: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 798 comments Thanks Annette

message 41: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Apr 15, 2019 10:24AM) (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
Nominations are closed the following titles are moving on to the poll, which starts on the 16th.

Short Story Poll

message 42: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4778 comments Mod
The winner of our June Short Story/Novella is The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells, 32 pages, 1904

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.