Books and Jams Readalong discussion

East of Eden
This topic is about East of Eden
East of Eden - April > Chapters 41-END

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 554 comments Mod
You made it! Congrats!

What are you final thoughts? Did you find the ending satisfying? Did the characters have good development and a satisfying arch? Did the plot move at a pace you liked? How did you like the writing? Which themes stand out most to you? What will you rate it?

Jeanette | 4 comments Confession time😔. I didn’t read the book. I read it years ago and liked it but the size just turned me off. I had too many others to read

Elsa | 29 comments 3 stars for me. The writing is quality, but the story did not appeal to me. I got the theme of free will, so at least the book has that going for it rather than a theme of fate.

Jill (penwiper42) | 16 comments Yup, the book pretty much beat in its point by the end. I think it would have been stronger writing to be a bit more subtle... honestly it also felt like a two-part novel that could have been just one book if it only focused on the Aran and Cal. Since it was meant to be an epic family drama I guess it succeeded there. I wish the Hamilton family and the Trasks had merged at some point, since they were both so integral to the story.

I finished this a few days ago and forgot to come write my thoughts. Overall I was really disappointed. I so wanted to like this because so many people had hyped it up for me. Unfortunately I dreaded picking it up for the whole first half. I was a bit more interested once the focus was on Aron and Cal, but even then there were parts that just bored me. I guess Steinbeck just isn't for me.

I think Cal was the most interesting character for sure, but Lee was my favorite.

Robin (rwaggs) | 12 comments Wow! I can see why people study this book and dissect every nuance. I just read it as it was written, without worrying about all of the underlying elements and thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave it 4 stars because it wrapped up so perfunctorily. You'd think after 700+ pages that I'd had enough of the Trasks, but I could have gone a few more chapters to go further with Abra and Cal.

I can also see why some folks have a hard time with it. There is so much in it - the story of Charles and Adam could have been a fine novel all by itself. A brief backstory of Adam and then on to Cathy and the boys would have been quite the novel. Instead, we get both of those + the Hamiltons + so much history of Salinas. For those not familiar with it, Salinas is still agricultural and not considered a storied place like many other California cities.

Still, I was riveted.

Robin wrote: "Wow! I can see why people study this book and dissect every nuance. I just read it as it was written, without worrying about all of the underlying elements and thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave it 4 st..."

So glad you liked it!

Terri  (tee_reads) | 34 comments The fact that it took me over a month to finish this book should about sum up my feelings. So many times I thought "What is the point?" The part where it told about Mrs. Hamilton dying seemed to just come out of the blue, one sentence. I mostly wasn't interested but thought that Samuel and Lee were definitely the most intelligent characters in the book. I initially gave it three stars but changed it to two. Just not for me.