Books and Jams Readalong discussion

East of Eden
This topic is about East of Eden
East of Eden - April > Chapters 41-END

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
You made it! Congrats!

What are you final thoughts? Did you find the ending satisfying? Did the characters have good development and a satisfying arch? Did the plot move at a pace you liked? How did you like the writing? Which themes stand out most to you? What will you rate it?

Jeanette Confession time😔. I didn’t read the book. I read it years ago and liked it but the size just turned me off. I had too many others to read

Elsa 3 stars for me. The writing is quality, but the story did not appeal to me. I got the theme of free will, so at least the book has that going for it rather than a theme of fate.

Jill (penwiper42) | 20 comments Yup, the book pretty much beat in its point by the end. I think it would have been stronger writing to be a bit more subtle... honestly it also felt like a two-part novel that could have been just one book if it only focused on the Aran and Cal. Since it was meant to be an epic family drama I guess it succeeded there. I wish the Hamilton family and the Trasks had merged at some point, since they were both so integral to the story.

I finished this a few days ago and forgot to come write my thoughts. Overall I was really disappointed. I so wanted to like this because so many people had hyped it up for me. Unfortunately I dreaded picking it up for the whole first half. I was a bit more interested once the focus was on Aron and Cal, but even then there were parts that just bored me. I guess Steinbeck just isn't for me.

I think Cal was the most interesting character for sure, but Lee was my favorite.

Robin (rwaggs) | 14 comments Wow! I can see why people study this book and dissect every nuance. I just read it as it was written, without worrying about all of the underlying elements and thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave it 4 stars because it wrapped up so perfunctorily. You'd think after 700+ pages that I'd had enough of the Trasks, but I could have gone a few more chapters to go further with Abra and Cal.

I can also see why some folks have a hard time with it. There is so much in it - the story of Charles and Adam could have been a fine novel all by itself. A brief backstory of Adam and then on to Cathy and the boys would have been quite the novel. Instead, we get both of those + the Hamiltons + so much history of Salinas. For those not familiar with it, Salinas is still agricultural and not considered a storied place like many other California cities.

Still, I was riveted.

Robin wrote: "Wow! I can see why people study this book and dissect every nuance. I just read it as it was written, without worrying about all of the underlying elements and thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave it 4 st..."

So glad you liked it!

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments The fact that it took me over a month to finish this book should about sum up my feelings. So many times I thought "What is the point?" The part where it told about Mrs. Hamilton dying seemed to just come out of the blue, one sentence. I mostly wasn't interested but thought that Samuel and Lee were definitely the most intelligent characters in the book. I initially gave it three stars but changed it to two. Just not for me.

Theresa | 57 comments Sorry I am writing this so late but I still wanted to comment. It was a 5 star from me and I will read it again soon I am sure.

I was just thinking of " Timshel".(Thou mayest) I think my favorite part of the book was when Samuel and Lee were discussing the bible and Timshel. Then again in the end when Adam asked Lee about it. It just really made me think. We all have that choice to do good or evil. To love or hate. I don't think I would have enjoyed this book in school or even 20 years ago. I started East of Eden in 2018 and it took me several months to read. It wasn't that I lost interest, I just started to much and I really wanted to take my time with this.

I also find it interesting to know that a lot of the book is about John Steinbeck's family. His grandfather was Samuel Hamilton. From what I have read the Trask's were mostly fiction but I think it made a great story.

To sum it up, East of Eden came into my life at just the right time. I will never forget it.

Theresa wrote: "Sorry I am writing this so late but I still wanted to comment. It was a 5 star from me and I will read it again soon I am sure.

I was just thinking of " Timshel".(Thou mayest) I think my favorite..."

I'm so glad to hear your thoughts. There weren't many of us this time around who liked this book. I'm glad you did!!