Books and Jams Readalong discussion

East of Eden
This topic is about East of Eden
East of Eden - April > Chapters 25-40

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
We are heading into the ending. Do you have any hopes/predictions for how things will wrap up? Which characters are you connecting with most? least? Anything surprise you? Frustrate you?

Elsa I think WWI will take the life of Aron and/or Cal and the intermittent Salinas drought mentioned in the first chapters will ruin both families.

I am surprised to like Cal so much. He has a big heart. I am concerned that he may turn into a criminal because he thinks it is his fate.

This section picked up quite a bit for me. I'm finding the story of Aron and Cal much more interesting than Adam and the others in the first half of the book. I love how complex Cal is and that we get to see him work though the different sides of his nature. I do find his storyline a bit more interesting than Aron and Abra's. The scene where Cal and Adam sit down and really start to know each other was very sweet.

I love that Lee came back. He's such a gem.

We've had hints that Charles is really the boys' father. Am I wrong in that? I feel like Kate would throw that out there just to be cruel. It makes sense that her life is now dominated by fear and that her body is starting to break down on her.

I am glad that I am not still dreading picking this up! I'm actually quite eager to finish it now.

Jill (penwiper42) | 20 comments I think the author was implying the two boys were charles and adam’s sons with the same mother, that they were born same time. They’re obviously not identical either in appearance or their attitudes.

But yeah, cal is a much more interesting character than aron, because he goes through a real character arc and has to make a choice about who he is in a much more dramatic way: the difference between nature and nurture— or as the book interprets it, choice vs fate.

You could argue that Cain is a more interesting character than Abel in the Bible too, even though Abel is “the good son.”

Could’ve done without the aron/alba mother scene, but again... Freudian themes at play that drive me nuts.

Yep, Lee’s back to save the day. Clearly he’s the linchpin of the tiny family.

I find the Sheriff to be amorally interesting, in what he chooses to let slide. If it’s not something big like an obvious murder on the town street/bar or he doesn’t have crowd backing he sure doesn’t like to rock the boat.

Theresa | 57 comments Part three was just so sad for me. It started with a death of a Hamilton family member and ended with a death of a Hamilton family member. I really connected to that family as well as to Lee and Adam. Lee's story about his mother tore me apart. I was in tears and had to stop the audio book till I stopped crying.

I was torn when Lee came back. I wanted him to have his dreams come true but knew Adams family wouldn't be the same without Lee.

Theresa wrote: "Part three was just so sad for me. It started with a death of a Hamilton family member and ended with a death of a Hamilton family member. I really connected to that family as well as to Lee and Ad..."

I loved when Lee came back! I thought that was so sweet. I know the Adams family relied on him so heavily, but it was like he had made them his family as well.