Books and Jams Readalong discussion

East of Eden
This topic is about East of Eden
East of Eden - April > Chapters 11-24

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
You've made it over 1/2 way!

Have any of your initial thoughts or reactions changed? How is the plot progressing? Are the characters changing in any way? What themes are starting to develop?

message 2: by Elsa (last edited Apr 09, 2019 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elsa This is a dense read. I feel like it would probably be great to dissect in a literature class because I'm sure I am missing themes and symbols. I'm not enjoying this book, but I will finish it since I'm halfway through.

Lee is my favorite character. He is wise and generous.

My favorite sentence from this section is, "Even as a little girl she hungered for learning as a child does for cookies in the late afternoon."

I'm not even done with this section yet, but I'm with you, Elsa. I have to make myself pick it up every day. I'm not invested in the story at all. I'm still hopeful it will pick up though. I also feel like I'm skimming parts because I just don't care. Or I'm reading them but not really understanding what Steinbeck is trying to say or why it's included. So far it's not my cup of tea either. At this point I'm really wondering why people love it so much. Maybe I'll see by the end.

Theresa | 57 comments Elsa wrote: "This is a dense read. I feel like it would probably be great to dissect in a literature class because I'm sure I am missing themes and symbols. I'm not enjoying this book, but I will finish it sinc..."

Audio book helps.

Theresa | 57 comments I don't know if I could pick a favorite between Samuel and Lee. I feel like they are both my good friends. I can almost see the torch being pasted from one generation to the next. I am truly sad by Samuel's goodbye.

Elsa wrote: "This is a dense read. I feel like it would probably be great to dissect in a literature class because I'm sure I am missing themes and symbols. I'm not enjoying this book, but I will finish it sinc..."

I am SO with you on this. If it weren't the book for this month's readalong I would have already DNFd this one. I just cannot get interested. I also feel like I'm missing so much because I often don't understand what they're talking about. I hate when I have to think so much in a novel. I don't mind when a book makes me think about my life, my perspectives, or challenges me personally. But with this one I sometimes find myself really struggling to connect and I have to think a ton to just process what it is they are saying and meaning. And I still feel like I'm just missing it. Ugh. I'm going to plod on, but if I'm not done at the end of the month I'm probably not going to finish. I'm going to try though.

Patricia | 19 comments I know I'm writing this very late but I got half way and didn't finish. I think maybe trying to read back to back Steinbeck's may not have been a good idea.
I did enjoy Samuel's character and I'm so glad he got through to Adam about taking responsibility for his sons. I cant believe how depressed he was over such an evil manipulative human as Cathy, especially when he had babies to care for. Thank goodness for Lee! Really enjoy Lee also.
I'm sure whenever I get to the end there will be a profound message of good and evil. Has to be since Cathy is such a horrible person. I'm so afraid one of her sons may turn our just like her.
Anyway, I do plan to finish this book before the end of the year. I have no desire to restart it and I've come so far that I am curious what happens to the boys and Cathy. I'll still read and post my thoughts on the third and fourth section whenever I do finish.