Books and Jams Readalong discussion

East of Eden - April > Who's Here?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
It's been a while since we've read a classic in this group. I have heard such good things about East of Eden and am looking forward to reading it with you guys. It does look like a chunker, but my copy is just 600 pages. That's still a lot, but not as many as I thought it would be.

Will you be reading along this month? Say hello in this thread!

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (sterlingmccord) Hello everyone! I feel like I read East of Eden in high school or maybe college, but I don't remember anything about it. I am looking forward to revisiting this modern classic with y'all.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 19 comments Hi, Krista, how have you been? It's been a while since I read with your group. I'm happy to be back! I just read The Grapes Of Wrath last month and really enjoyed it. I'm even more excited to read East Of Eden. I didn't plan to read two Steinbeck's back to back but this group will help me stay focus on getting through this 600 page novel. Otherwise, it'll be another year or two before I pick it up. Look forward to our discussions.

message 4: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn I'm so excited to read this with everyone!

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex | 6 comments Hey Everyone! I am really excited to read this book! I hope this group will keep me motivated enough to finish. A friend I teach with that is an avid reader has hounded me to read this book for a while (like 5+years). I can't wait to talk to ya'll about it. Happy Reading!

message 6: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "Hi, Krista, how have you been? It's been a while since I read with your group. I'm happy to be back! I just read The Grapes Of Wrath last month and really enjoyed it. I'm even more excited to read ..."

Glad you'll be reading along with us again, Patricia! We should plan a get-together soon!

message 7: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments I am in as soon as I finish Sweep.

CozyReaderKelly | 4 comments My name is Kelly and this is my first time joining you all for a group read. I’ve been wanting to read East of Eden since I bought a copy a year ago, but I have held back because of the size. Hopefully, this group read will give me the push to do it.

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 57 comments I actually started this a year ago in Ange's book club but will refresh my memory and I will love to discuss with everyone.

message 10: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette I read this years ago when it was a read for Oprah’s book club. Looking forward to revisiting it

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (loveinthelibrary) | 3 comments Hoping to join you all my copy should arrive later this week (fingers crossed). I have never read anything by John Steinbeck and was surprised to see this so highly rated. Hopefully I can catch up 😄

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 57 comments Kelly wrote: "My name is Kelly and this is my first time joining you all for a group read. I’ve been wanting to read East of Eden since I bought a copy a year ago, but I have held back because of the size. Hopef..."

Hi Kelly, when I started this I was a little fearful and decided to do the audio alongside the actual book. It was awesome and I found that I did most on audio but would grab the book to reread certain passages. Good luck and enjoy. Don't rush through because it is a group read. It took me way longer than a month but I really enjoyed it.

message 13: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Hi there! I am looking forward to reading this with the group. It will be my first time reading East of Eden, but it sure seems popular on Booktube. My plan is to read about 30 pages/day.

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 19 comments Krista wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Hi, Krista, how have you been? It's been a while since I read with your group. I'm happy to be back! I just read The Grapes Of Wrath last month and really enjoyed it. I'm even more..."

Krista wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Hi, Krista, how have you been? It's been a while since I read with your group. I'm happy to be back! I just read The Grapes Of Wrath last month and really enjoyed it. I'm even more..."

Definitely! Let me know of any good things coming up in Richmond, I'd love to come fown for the day. I'm going to see Delia Owens, author of Where There Crawdads Sing, at the end of the month in DC. Let me know if you want to come along.

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments I'm here! I read the first chapter last night but was too tired to continue. I expect I'll have to start from the beginning tonight. Hopefully I can finish it before the end of the month.

message 16: by Mallorie (new)

Mallorie | 2 comments Hello. I'll be reading east of Eden along with the group. This will be my first time reading this book ever. I'm not sure if I've ever read anything by John Steinbeck and am looking forward to reading it along with the group.