Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Bertolt Brecht
This topic is about Bertolt Brecht
Archive Plays > 2019 April: Plays of Bertolt Brecht

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5715 comments Mod
Eugen Berthold Friedrich Brecht (/brɛxt/;[1][2] German: [bʁɛçt]; 10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956), known professionally as Bertolt Brecht, was a German theatre practitioner, playwright, and poet.

Living in Munich during the Weimar Republic, he had his first successes with theatre plays, whose themes were often influenced by his Marxist thought. He was the main proponent of the genre named epic theatre (which he preferred to call "dialectical theatre"). During the Nazi period and World War II he lived in exile, first in Scandinavia and then in the United States.

Bertolt Brecht Plays: Théâtre Complet, Tome 2, Die Maßnahme Collected Plays Volume 1

Please join us with any play you are reading of Brecht's.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 9683 comments Mod
If you have never read any of Brecht's plays before, I recommend Mother Courage and Her Children or The Threepenny Opera.

message 3: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5715 comments Mod
Rosemarie
I have a copy of Mother Courage and Her Children downloaded to try and squeeze in.

I had read it was his greatest play.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have read a number of his plays and I think it is best too. I saw it performed in English a few years ago and found it a memorable experience.
If I have time, I will be reading his play about Galileo.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 1371 comments Does anyone know if it is available free for download anywhere?

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Tracey, I googled Mother Courage and her Children and a number of PDF versions were available. It might also be available at your public library.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Scougall (sarahscougall) The Informer is a good short Brecht play.

message 8: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I haven't read that one yet, Sarah. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 9: by Inese (new)

Inese Okonova | 76 comments Thanks to this group I finally read "The Threepenny Opera" yesterday. Impressive, although also a bit chaotic. I started "Mother Courage" immediately. Looks like another great read.

In the collection I got in my hands there are also "Life of Galileo", "Mr. Puntila and His Man Mati", "Fear and Misery of the Third Reich" (I remember seeing an outstanding theatre performance of this), "The Good Person of Szechwan" and "The Caucasian Chalk Circle". Have You read those? Any recommendations?

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have read the last two plays, but that was quite a while ago. I have also read Saint Joan of the Stockyards, which is set in Chicago, and remember it as being one I liked more than some of his other plays.

message 11: by Stefania (new)

Stefania | 66 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have read a number of his plays and I think it is best too. I saw it performed in English a few years ago and found it a memorable experience.
If I have time, I will be reading his play about Ga..."

The play about Galileo is absolutely beautiful! You must read it, Rosemarie, if you haven't still....

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I am looking for a copy of Galileo, Stefania. Unfortunately, I can't get a copy from the library.

message 13: by Inese (new)

Inese Okonova | 76 comments I read "Mother Courage", "Galileo" and "The Good Person of Szechwan". Must admit that I loved "The Good Person" best of all. A clever story about kind heart ruining its owner. I like that Brecht has shown that a child's welfare can make a very kind and gentile woman turn into tigress. But there is much more about this play. I do sincerely recommend it.

And yes, "Galileo" is really beautifully written.

I struggled with "Mother Courage". I think one reason is that I was expecting a lot and because the idea of what is coming was clear from the beginning. I also suspect that translation was somewhat heavy. I understand that this is a great play, but it will not be my favourite.

message 14: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 2156 comments I love Brecht.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Is there any play that stands out, Jazzy?

message 17: by Jazzy (last edited Jun 02, 2019 01:58PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 2156 comments In The Lives of Others, one of the Stasi members sent to spy on a writer reads a yellow book of poems by Brecht which he has "borrowed" from the writer's flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thanks, Jazzy. I am familiar with two of the plays you mentioned and will look for the others. I like his poetry too.