flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > The Artistry of April

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments That would be flowers
Jostling to bloom
And the many shades
Of green
O the magic of spring
We sing

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments It’s looking like spring! My little family is headed to Vancouver this week to visit my aunt and uncle in Burnaby. Looks like it’s going to rain the entire time we’re there. I’ll happily take suggestions for indoor activities with a 4 year old. We’re already planning a trip to the aquarium. I’m hoping that it’s just cloudy and we can spend some time outside.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 18 comments @Megan - the 4 year probably doesn't care that it's raining.... just sayin' :) Renting bikes in Stanley Park is fun... and that bridge thing...is it Capsilano? Could be scary for a little person. Enjoy!

@Magdelanye - I haven't managed to get very far into Gods in Alabama yet. What I have read has been good....just busy. Hopefully more tonight. :)

Not very springy here today.... snow on the ground from yesterday and temps around freezing. The rest of the week improves though so looking forward to that.

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments Yay April! I love April.

Sorry about the snow; it's colder here than it's been as well. But I'm happy we're moving into spring and summer.

Megan: zoos always seem to be a hit. And short hikes.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Thanks everyone! We're planning on Stanley Park, riding the Skytrain outside of rush hour, Lynn Canyon and the Quay in New Westminster (where my husband and I met, got engaged and got married). If it's insanely raining out, we might try Granville Island, but it's usually way too crowded for me. Maybe a ride on the seabus? Vancouver, I miss you!

@Shannon, snow?! NO!!!

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 18 comments @Megan - I know! I wish I could say that was an April Fool's joke but only Mother Nature is laughing! ! !

message 7: by Petra (last edited Apr 01, 2019 06:43PM) (new)

Petra | 771 comments The seabus is fun! He'll love that. The Lonsdale Quay (at the end of the seabus ride) is fun, too. Lots to look at and there's the wharf to play on.
(Bonus: the skytrain ride to the Seabus terminal is fun, too. Take the Expo Line west. A 4 year old will have fun watching the city roll by. There's a tunnel, too. Lots of fun for little ones.)

Lynn Canyon is fun, too. The suspension bridge takes you to nice walking trails through thick forest. The bonus of Lynn Canyon is that it's free; Capilano Suspension bridge charge). I haven't tried it out but the trails from Lynn Canyon lead directly into the back of the Capilano Suspension bridge complex. There's a chance that one can walk right in. (there are probably gates and such to keep people from entering; I've never followed the trails that far)
There's a fish hatchery at the end of Capilano Road that he may be interested in:
http://vancouversnorthshore.com/thing...

How long has it been since you've been to Westminster Quay? It used to be such a wonderful place. It's quite changed. There's a pub, a grocery store and restaurants. The quaint shops are gone.
There is, though, a walk westwards that leads to a play ground:
https://www.newwestcity.ca/database/f...

It's wonderful that you & your husband met, engaged and married there! My husband proposed to me there, too.

Burnaby Lake in Burnaby can be interesting if your son enjoys birds. If you park on Piper Avenue, it's right at the bird lookout/wharf (Piper Spit on the map).:
https://www.burnaby.ca/Assets/New+Thi...
There's a nice walk to the left of the wharf (when you face the lake) that meanders through trees that he may enjoy (towards Conifer Loop)

It's supposed to rain but no indication that it'll be crazy rain. I'm hoping for showers and not steady rain.

I won't intrude on your family time this trip. Perhaps next time we can plan a meet-up.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments Megan, have you considered Science World? Kids love it there. Maybe they have something going on while you're here.
https://www.scienceworld.ca/

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Gee, yesterday i spent most of the day getting to Van and it was so gorgeous out i didnt mind. Rain? whats that?
Megan you got the top suggestions for your trip.
All i might add for a low key bushel of fun Little Mountain or Queen Elizabeth Park. Picnics there were a favorite pastime. And of course there is always the Sunshine Coast ferry that is like a mini cruise. Its a gorgeous 40 minute ferry ride even in rain.
Im only here for a day and i only brought a sweater.
May you enjoy your family holiday Megan, and as Petra mentioned, next time we should plan a meet up.

So Canada Reads is over and while the first two days were predictable i must admit i was a bit shocked at the outcome.
I really thought Brother would win, and im sort of glad it didnt because i thought it was rather boring. Too polished, and
compared to other similarly themed books, it didnt resonate much. I still would like to see the footage of day 3 and 4.

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Shannon last night at dinner the kids mentioned their Grandmother who apparantly had one standard joke for April Fools she would call them up early to say guess what kids its snowing.
And whats it like in Ice-Land?
New York i have heard has a gorgeous week of spring before the heat takes over.

Im still reading The Tinsmith but i deliberately left it at home for this little trip. Its galling.
I have Rebecca Makai-s first novel which looks to be a fun read, just the ticket to lighten the heavy stuff. I also picked my hold on the Milkman which will probably be interesting . Anyone read it?

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions! Next time, let's meet up! This is just a quick trip for us, we aren't even telling our friends we're coming. Just visiting family this go around.

It looks like it might not rain on Thursday, so hopefully we can be outside all day!

@Petra, I used to live in New West, we moved out to Alberta in 2013. I know a lot has changed at the River Market and on Front Street.

My main goals are: spend as much time at the ocean as possible, see the mountains (hopefully!), see flowers and green grass (instead of dirty dead grass), spend time with my aunt and uncle, go visit my beloved New West, and my husband used to live in PoCo so he is so excited to take the skytrain out there.

I started reading Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It. I'm finding it a bit preachy, but overall an interesting read.

message 12: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments Megan, I used to live on Mowat Street in New Westminster. It's up the hill from the Quay.

We now live in PoCo and it's where I went to school. My family moved here when I was 9.
You'll have to let us know about the trip on the Evergreen line. I haven't ridden that section of the skytrain yet.

If you're in that area, you son may enjoy a walk around Lafarge Lake. It's not far north from Coquitlam Centre, on Pinetree Way. It's located in Town Center Park.

I am meeting a lady from Tai-Chi class this morning to help her with her moves. It'll be just the two of us.

The pest control person was here yesterday. We have no mice anymore. Phew! He did find a point of entry into the crawlspace. From there, a mouse can find his way up to the house from the kitchen sink or the gas line for the stove. I covered the outside entry point yesterday and will be filling the sink and stove access to upstairs this afternoon.
Hopefully, that will take care of any future invasions.

Today I'm going to finish reading Oryx and Crake and will start Spring Snow.

Magdelanye, have a terrific visit. We really need to meet one day.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments @Petra a fellow New-Wester. I lived uptown across the street from Queen's Park. My grandpa on my dad's side grew up in Sapperton, his parent's house is still there.

Mice as so sneaky!! Fingers crossed you have seen the last of them in your house.

@Magdelanye, I have also been reading some lighter books lately. I was getting weighed down with heavy topics.

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments So good to read about all the sights--I hope so much that someday I'll get to Vancouver (although with my income decreasing it looks less likely but who knows? I can dream). It's been a bit colder here the last few days but should be very warm starting tomorrow.

3 more months, if all goes well. I checked and the man at the social security office actually followed through on his promise and the papers are in the works. I'm beginning to believe this will happen!

Reading Eye Level: Poems, a collection of poems by Jenny Xie which is lovely. Also, as suggested by my poetry teacher, The Mirror: A History by Sabine Melchior-Bonnet (in response to one of my poems) which is a fascinating history of--as it says--the mirror and its symbolic literary uses, etc. Still also reading Once Upon a River. Writing gets in the way of reading but the real culprit is work.

We're expecting a visit from some big cheese so everyone is on edge. I'm trying to get my stuff together but mostly I'm chanting my mantra (now 3 more months). I can't wait for the break at the end of the month--I'm going to see the stage production of To Kill A Mockingbird. Some friends and I were planning to go to Toronto (where my son is going to go with his girlfriend) and Quebec City but that, sadly, fell through so the play's my consolation prize. Can you believe one ticket cost almost as much (well more than half) as the trip to Canada would have cost? But I'm excited.

My son is trying to become a Canadian citizen. Wish him luck. His father is Canadian but apparently that's not a lot of help anymore. If he moves to Canada, I'll have a compelling reason to go but he's planning on Toronto, if he can do it at all.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments @ Ellie - good luck to your son. And good luck with your retirement plans.
@Megan - Glad to hear you got so many ideas about your upcoming trip. I read a book How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease that helped to convince me that veganism was a good way to get rid of many problems.
@ Petra - Glad to hear that your mouse problems are over.
@ Magdelanye is it The Tinsmith by Tim Bowling that you are reading? I enjoyed our telephone chat this afternoon. Hope you made it home in good time.
@Shannon - Hope spring comes to your place soon.

I have been reading The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warmingby David Wallace-Wells. It is a sobering look at the climate disruption that is already underway and the herculean task needed to get us out of the mess we have made. He has some interesting things to say about AI and silicon valley. The book is non-technical and is meant for anyone to read.
To help me with the seriousness of this book, at night I have been reading The Grave's a Fine and Private Place to delight in Flavia de Luce. Trail of Lightning was a well written cli-fi novel that takes place some time after the great floods have wiped away much of North America. I look forward to its sequel.

message 16: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Yes MaryAnne I too enjoyed talking to you and look forward to some kind of visit.
Yes its The Tinsmith by Tim Bowling. And it is not light. Slavery, the civil war and the cutthroat salmon industry are vividly depicted. I left it at home on this quickie trip and instead took and finished the Woods. I was able to pick up 3 holds at the library on my way home. I hope very soon to get access to a machine that will allow me to introduce them properly.
Petra you are seriously lucky there was only one mouse and no blessed events!
Enjoy Van Megan.
I do like the spring there, its more advanced than on the coast(And at Shannons place)Some trees have already peaked and there is a riot of colour.
Still i was very glad to be able to get back to the coast.

message 17: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Apr 03, 2019 12:18AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 733 comments Ice-Land, more green than ice and Greenland more ice than green.
Reading split between and Fantasy ...... on reduced hours ....... auditors in at work and Brexit ! No Brexit ! often translated as Crisis ? What Crisis ? occupying thinking time !

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Thanks to all of your for the ideas for Vancouver.

We ended up having a beautiful sunny day. We went to Second Beach in Stanley Park, Ambleside Beach in West Van and up to Lynn Canyon (we walked what felt like a million stairs, but so worth it!).
The next day we road the skytrain, took the sea bus, and went to the River Market in New West. Spent some quality time with family and no problems with our flights.
Now back to work and real life.....

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments @Mary Anne thanks for the tip, I'll check out that book. I have a lot of food sensitives, so going vegan is hard for me because I can't eat a lot of plant based proteins.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments @ Megan - many plant proteins have protective lectins and phytic acid that interfere with our ability to digest them. I soak all beans including chickpeas for several days changing the water each day. Then I cook them in a very short time as they have soaked so long. All nuts also should be either roasted or soaked to remove the protective lectins (these prevent the nut and bean from sprouting in humid or warm conditions that are not their true growing medium). I soak all nuts from 2 to 8 hours and then I dehydrate them to make them easier to eat.

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments Megan, your mini-vacation sounds terrific. You managed to see quite a few places. I'm glad the weather co-operated and your family had a good time.

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 18 comments @Megan - thanks for circling back. Was happy to read about your trip and to hear that you enjoyed. :)

I'm reading The Last Romantics this week. About halfway through and enjoying it so far. Same author as The House Girl which I really enjoyed. Also refreshing to see that the two books feel quite different. Sometimes I find authors re-write the same book over and over again. :)

Happy Wednesday all....

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments Happy mid-week!
New addition to my household is a lovely 5 year old cat that we found at TriCity SPCA. She must have previously lived in a Zen community as she is so chill.
In reading, I have several books on the go, not quite at the same time, but at different times of the day. Darwin's Ghosts: The Secret History of Evolution is an audiobook, so I listen while I cook and clean; The Invention of Russia: From Gorbachev's Freedom to Putin's War is well written but heavy going so this is a mid-morning book with tea; The End of the Day is a surprisingly political book about the Harbinger of Death who presents himself just before the presence of Death, sometimes as a comfort, sometimes as a warning, and sometimes as a presenter of life's choices. The Harbinger of Death is a human man with his own abilities and failings, hired by an office that works for Death, who is a more mysterious entity. Although The end of the Day presents the sadness and harshness of life it still is so well written that I can read it before bed.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments I'm about to start reading I Capture the Castle. I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't read it yet!

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments @Mary-Anne congrats on your new addition to your family. :)

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 18 comments @Megan - You're not!!!!!!!! What is it? :) I'll check it out.

message 27: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments You're not, Megan. I Capture the Castle has been unread and gathering dust on the bookshelf for some time now. I look forward to your comments on it.

Rainy day today.
I got out for a quick run this morning before the rain started. Now that I've finished breakfast, I'm going grocery shopping and running a few errands.
This afternoon I plan on reading more of Spring Snow.

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Oh good, I'm glad I found some literary delinquents like me. ha!

@Petra, I'll keep you posted.

message 29: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments Megan wrote: "I'm about to start reading I Capture the Castle. I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't read it yet!"

I have been meaning to read this for years. I started it but lost interest but I have an open mind. I look forward to your responses.

message 30: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments wow, we really are of a kind. I had this book on my tbr shelf for years until it went into storage.
The sad truth is im not sure if i ever did read it through. It has a peculiar position in the literary pantheon for sure.

I like your array of titles Mary Anne. I too have my morning read rituals, beginning the day with a poem before applying myself to the non fiction.
Im actually trying to cut down a bit on afternoon reading now that the weather is nicer to get outside more.
Right now Im listening to an audio version of the Toltec Art of Life and death. it helps now that i have the actual book to refer to when i miss bits. I was rather thrilled to recognize some of the names referred to from my reading of 1491 and to be able to check on the map.
Shannon i looked up The Last Romantic...sounds interesting, and the author intruiging.

Glad you had a great whirlwind trip Megan. For me, its the best way to enjoy Vancouver .

Who has read Milkman?

And a question- can everyone see the private recommendations sent to individual friends?

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments I also have my morning rituals: I write for half an hour then read a poem before meditating.

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Oh no, ladies this book is a bit boring. Maybe it's because I just read a brilliant novel Bone & Bread and have Michelle Obama's book ready for pick up at the library?

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments @ Magdelanye I got your recommendation for the children's book, it looks great, thank you!

message 34: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments Magdelanye, I think only those you send recommendations to can see the recommendation. Is that what you're asking?
I get a notification if someone sends me a recommendation and there's a Friends Recommendation listing on the drop down list under my avatar (top right).

I have not read Milkman.

Megan, I hope the book picks up for you.

It's a beautiful sunny day today. I have a couple short errands to run but the rest of the day is free. I may spend some time in the garden today.
Today is also my brother's birthday.
I hope everyone has a terrific day.

message 35: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Re i capture the castle...Ive read a few scathing reviews along with the raves. Boring i didnt expect. I think the order we read a book is somewhat crucial. The next book after a magnificent read is bound to suffer.

I sent a rec to Megan and Ellie but wondering if everyone sees these.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments I read I Capture the Castle when I was young, before marriage and kids and loved it then, but when I tried to reread about the time of its movie I could not finish it. It has a very dated cultural limitation about it, but not charming in the way Austen's books are.

message 37: by Ellie (last edited Apr 12, 2019 02:10PM) (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments I feel like my reading is out of control: I can't seem to stick with any one book; I'm reading 6 or 7. Mostly short stories (John Keene's Counternarratives; Fenby Daisy Johnson), essays (Ross Gay's The Book of Delights: Essays and Joy Williams's Ill Nature: Rants and Reflections on Humanity and Other Animals which I just finished and Edwidge Danticat's The Art of Death: Writing the Final Story which I can only read a little at a time since it makes me cry) and poetry (several different volumes). Plus The History of Mirrors which is fascinating but difficult (for me, anyway--it was suggested to me by my poetry teacher). Plus, The Story of a River Once Upon a River (which I'm enjoying but naturally I'm progressing slowly since I'm reading all these other books). Also I just won Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism by Naoki Higashida from LibraryThing. I read the first book of his, Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism and found it interesting; plus because of my work, my son, and my natural interests I read almost anything about autism, especially first person accounts.

It's almost spring break (yay!) so maybe I'll be able to settle down. I'm making myself nervous.

I can't believe it's only 10 weeks until I'm scheduled (if all goes well) to retire!

message 38: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Apr 13, 2019 05:48PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Joy Williams and Edwidge Danticat oh my. Bless you Ellie for making my currently reading list seem modest.
Thourougly engaged with 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mannand wrapping up Milkman Milkman by Anna Burns , which is utterly brilliant.
Helen Oyeyemis short stories are dense and quite demanding.
What is Not Yours is Not Yours
Then theres the 2 poetry books: not yet finished yet the challenging Infinite Citizen of the Shaking Tent but engrossed in Tim Bowlings Selected Poems

PLUS got the actual book which helps a lot with the audio I had been falling asleep to Miguel Ruizs The Toltec Art of Life and Death.

message 39: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments So Petra i am concluding that you never saw on your updates the book i recommended to Megan and Ellie?
Im curious because someone outside the group liked it.

Is your brother nearby? It sounds as if you are settling nicely into your retirement.
Ellie ihe time will fly by!

message 40: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments I loved Oyeyemis' other books--I can't wait to read her newest, although I suppose I must.

message 41: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments I can't say I've noticed recommendations to others. But I'm not the best person to ask. I don't often scroll my home page.

My brother lives in Victoria.

Ellie, 10 weeks will fly by. The last couple of weeks might feel long. At least, that's what I found. It's a strange transition time for everyone, coworkers included.

The weather has turned overnight. It's grey & rainy today.

I've got to get out for one more run tomorrow to meet my hill climb elevation challenge. It's a good challenge. It can be done but not without concentration and focus. I've got to work at meeting the goal each week.

I finished reading Spring Snow yesterday. All in all, I enjoyed it and will continue with the other books in the tetralogy. It was slow in parts. There's a lot of internal reflection at times. But overall, this was a nice story.

I'm now reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It'll be a quick, quirky read.

message 42: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Made a grand comment just now...maybe I was too excited but somehow lost it. so I will just announce I have at least got the basics of a laptop back online in the cabin. I have been having fun playing around. So much easier to navigate, edit, comment.
Discovered more ghosts joined the group but I deleted immediately Julie, Emma, Heather with 0 book o friends. and many weird groups.

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments I get quite a few friend requests from people who have read 0 books - really??? I just delete them.

message 44: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments I just reread The Great Gatsby in order to read Gorsky. I did not like Gatsby as much this time as I did years ago. I am not as much of a romantic as I was before. No one in the novel is free from insincerity, not even the narrator. Gatsby dies because he wants to recreate his love for Daisy, and that desire is the cause of his death, set in motion by Daisy's driving, and Tom's lechery and treachery. Old money of Tom and Daisy is pitted against the illegal money of Gatsby with the narrator representing Wall Street.

message 45: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Friend requests from sketchy people is an occassional occurance but in our almost decade of existence we have we been innundated with names just showing up no request to join. We are so small im not sure that many people know of this group.
It is an issue being addressed by GR.

message 46: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Should read never have we been innundated.
I am on the fone not wanting to set up the laptop but wanting to check reviews for the odd book i just started and noticed MAs comment.
I think the mystique around Gatsby affects all the tender souls who read it in their teens.

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Ok, I need input on a book matter. I just got out The Mists of Avalon from the library and DID NOT realize that the author and her husband were TERRIBLE child molesters.
Do I still read this book as it's a feminist classic or just return it to the library because, you know, paedophiles.

Magdelanye and Mary Anne, , I read Gatsby in university, I wonder if I would like it as much now.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary | 203 comments @ Megan - my view is that there are many books in the world to read for the pleasure of reading and I can choose books that do not have the baggage of horrible actions attached to it. It is also about not supporting these authors. When we know there is evil we can avoid it.
I too wonder if you would enjoy Gatsby now. It is still well written and of course has always demonstrated the vapidity of social relationships.

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments @Mary Anne, excellent point. I'm returning this one to the library.

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Also, I used to have a friend who would read Gatsby every year because he loved it so much. Not sure I'm in that category. The only book I reread on a regular basis is Jane Eyre.

« previous 1