2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > March 2019 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 14, 2019 03:43AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10525 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Anita Reads
Barb
Christina
Giulia
Jessika
Jonetta
Laura
Lauren
Lieke
Melissa
Michelle
Robin
Viki

message 2: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes! I finally finished The Wicked Years. So glad to be done.

No new series started.

Yes, I finished the third book in The Mortal Instruments series.

Yes, but it wasn't part of a series. I really, really loved Everything Is Illuminated. I love this author for his unique writing style, but can understand why some feel disoriented by his writing.

I only read three books, which was discouraging. One was amazing, one was decent, and one was not so great.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2188 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Of course not.

I started the "Chasing Evil" trilogy by Leslie Tentler. I thought it was OK, so I plan to continue.

I moved forward in four series:
Gaslight Mysteries - Victoria Thomson
Angie Pallorino - Loreth Anne White
Rizzoli & Isles - Tess Gerritsen
Highland Pleasures - Jennifer Ashley

Two standouts this month (5 Stars);
Murder in Chelsea (Gaslight Mystery, #15) by Victoria Thompson The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2) by Loreth Anne White

I read two great books. The rest were very mediocre. I'm hoping I pick better books in April.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes! I finally finished The Wicked Years. So glad to be done.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you c..."

Congratulations on finishing that series, Jessika!

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Of course not.

I started the "Chasing Evil" trilogy b..."

Congrats on advancing in your series, Robin! You’re so used to having really good reading experiences this month had to be surprising. At least the two you loved were really, really good.

message 6: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 634 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Nope

I started two new series, but will only continue with Carole Matthews one.

The Chocolate Lovers' Club by Carole Matthews
All Fall Down (Embassy Row, #1) by Ally Carter

Nope
I really enjoy this book, it had some funny moments. I really like how the author writes. I can't wait to read more.
The Chocolate Lovers' Club by Carole Matthews

I only finished two books this month, but I am pretty happy with that number.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4083 comments Mod
Jessika wrote: "I only read three books, which was discouraging. One was amazing, one was decent, and one was not so great.."

Sounds like you broke even :)

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Robin wrote: ".I read two great books. The rest were very mediocre. I'm hoping I pick better books in April."

I liked Leslie Tentler's series although the focus was more on the suspense than the romance.

Hope April is better for you.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Viki wrote: "I only finished two books this month, but I am pretty happy with that number..."

Being satisfied with your reading is all that really matters.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1289 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 1 series: Rizzoli & Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.

I started 1 new series and I will continue it: The Gilded Wolves series by Roshani Chokshi.

I moved forward in 2 series:
Big Stone Gap (#3) by Adriana Trigiani
The Mortal Instruments (#3) by Cassandra Clare

I think my favorite book of the month was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It had strong characters that I loved and I loved the circus setting. There was so much activity throughout the whole book.

6 books - I'm happy with my month. I'm keeping on track with my goals and reading books that I've had on my shelf for far too long.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2199 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 5 series:
Hell's Handlers MC -Lilly Atlas
Lost Valkyries MC - Esther E. Schmidt
Broken deedsMC -Esther E. Schmidt
Down & Dirty MC - Jeanne St James
Pure/Dark ones - Aja James

Yes. Hell' Handlers MC. As per usual I started and binged. So I'm starting her other series. Definitely will read anything by this author
I started Warriors of Risnar by Tracy St. John. I was underwhelmed by this. I think coming off her previous series last year( actually managed to read the whole series last year + 15 in it all told) I wanted... needed something new and this feels like it will be more of the same. So for now this is going on the back burner.
Another series I actually got a boxset of it. 5 books in 1.
His command by Piper Scott. This was slow going and I actually skimmed through the last novel. And just as I'm patting myself on the back I see no a novella come out😬 😫 ! This is an author that I'm unsure of. I loved a previous series I read of this author but this bogged me down with minute and detailed discriptions of everything. Well I'm busy with a 3series. Maybe that will be the deciding factor of if I stay or divorce them.

Excluding the above mentioned I moved forward with Suncoast society

No 5* rating. But I really did love my reads .

I felt like I had a heavy month because of the subject matter in some of my read and also some writing styles. But I had some oldies I got to hang out with. 18 Books read is not to shabby

message 12: by Lauren (new)

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes -2
One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3) by Sabrina Jeffries The Thing About Love by Julie James

Yes -3
Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1) by Alice Clayton Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1) by Laura Lee Guhrke

Virgin River was actually a re-read. I enjoyed it much more the 2nd time around.
I will continue with Virgin River and Then He Kissed Her. Wallbanger is too immature for my tastes.

Yes, 4
Possession In Death (In Death #31.5) by J.D. Robb Broken Bones (D.I. Kim Stone, #7) by Angela Marsons Escaping from Houdini by Kerri Maniscalco Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #14) by Victoria Thompson

Broken Bones was a 5 star read and The Thing About Love was 4.5 stars.

5. Overall summary of your reading month? I read 14 books so I seem to have gotten back into my reading groove. The warmer weather will hopefully put in an appearance soon, and I can stay out longer with Tobie and listen to audios

message 13: by Barb (new)

Barb 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Caught up with four series: Brit in the FBI (Catherine Coulter & J.T. Ellison), Southern Eclectic (Molly Harper), Scottish Bookshop (Paige Shelton) and Hannah Swensen (Joanne Fluke). I truly don't know why I keep reading the Swensen series, it has frustrated me for years!

I did, even though I didn't know one of them was a first-in-series book until after I finished it! Unfortunately (maybe it's unfortunate?), I plan to read at least one more from each of these series.
Quilts of Love (Carolyn Zane and other authors), Frieda Klein (Nicci French), Stone Barrington (Stuart Woods) and Charles Jenkins (Robert Dugoni). I've read other books by Dugoni before, but the others are all new-to-me authors.

Besides the series mentioned in question #1, I read the next-in-series books from eight other series. Yay!

The two I enjoyed most in March were The Last Second, newest in the Brit in the FBI series and The Eighth Sister, the first in a new series by Robert Dugoni. It was really hard to put either of these down once I started reading.

I'm happy with my reading, and I had more winners than duds this time, which is always good.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Nope

I started two new series, but will only continue..."

I’m happy when I see you finish ONE book, Viki, with everything you’ve got going on! Congratulations on finishing two and enjoying them.

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 1 series: Rizzoli & Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? ..."

You should be thrilled with your month, Melissa! I’m so very happy you’re not only enjoying your reading and making a dent in your series but also fulfilling your goals. Kudos to you💜

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "

I got up to date in 5 series:
Hell's Handlers MC -Lilly Atlas
Lost Valkyries MC - Esther E. Schmidt
Broken deedsMC -Esther..."

Wow, Michelle!!!!! You had an outstanding month and I’m so happy for you. It’s so good to see you making series progress and doing satisfying binge reads. Yay for you🎉

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes -2
One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3) by Sabrina JeffriesThe Thing About Love by Julie James

2. Did you start any new series? If s..."

Fine month, Lauren and it warms my heart to learn you’re back in the reading groove💜 Well done!

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Barb wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Caught up with four series: Brit in the FBI (Catherine Coulter & J.T. Ellison), Southern Eclectic (Molly Harper), Scottish Booksh..."

Woo hoo! Great month, Barb💜 Sorry to have contributed to adding a new series but, c’mon...it’s Dugoni😏

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Yes, I got up to date in two series and completed one:
Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen (up to date)
Cage Foster by Stacy Green (up to date)
The Hudson Sisters by Mariah Stewart (complete)

I started one series, Hostage Rescue Team by Kaylea Cross, the spinoff series and Tall, Dark & Deadly group read. Definitely continuing.

Yes, I moved forward in three series:
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Pilgrim Cove by Linda Barrett
Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson

I had quite a few standouts this month but only two 5 stars; the others were 4.5. I loved Murder in Chelsea as the mystery was a real poser this time but more importantly, Frank & Sarah move forward! The Girl He Used to Know was just outstanding and a truly important story. No Ordinary Summer just warmed my heart. The Goodbye Café surprised me, a book I wasn’t looking forward to reading that ended up being my most surprising (in a good way) for the month. Special mention goes to City of Glass with its spectacular ending.

I only read 12 books, admittedly two of them were over 500 pages and most others 400+, but it was the most satisfying reading experience where I really liked or loved every book. I didn’t even care how many I tallied for the month, which is a first! I’m happy with March💜
Murder in Chelsea (Gaslight Mystery, #15) by Victoria Thompson The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves No Ordinary Summer (Pilgrim Cove #2) by Linda Barrett The Goodbye Café (The Hudson Sisters #3) by Mariah Stewart City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

message 20: by Anita Reads (last edited Apr 02, 2019 11:18PM) (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes - I finished 1 series
Fire in You (Wait for You, #6) by J. Lynn
Yes - I started 4 new ones... oops
and I'm planning on continuing with at least the 3 of them, but maybe all four.
City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1) by Victoria Schwab Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1) by Roshani Chokshi On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse
Yes! I read 4 sequels!
It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8) by Hiromu Arakawa Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5) by Robyn Carr Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4) by Victoria Thompson
I had 3 5 star reads this month, and especially Evelyn Hugo stood out to me!
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8) by Hiromu Arakawa And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Pretty happy overall, but didn't read all the books I set myself to read. I read less pages than February but the same amount of books finished. I DNF'd 2 books, so that also takes some pages out from my monthly totals.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2199 comments Love when I can clear out the carried overs. A real feel good moments sometimes.

I've never looked at how many pages I read in a month. That could be interesting. Maybe I should start tracking that.

message 22: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Amazingly, I did! I binge read the last 2 books in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and got up to date in the Tales from Alagaësia (currently just 1 book) by the same author.
Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3) by Christopher Paolini Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4) by Christopher Paolini The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm Eragon (Tales from Alagaësia #1; The Inheritance Cycle World) by Christopher Paolini

Only the aforementioned Tales from Alagaësia.

I moved forward in 4 series:
City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare Murder in Chelsea (Gaslight Mystery, #15) by Victoria Thompson Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) by Terry Pratchett Revelation (Matthew Shardlake, #4) by C.J. Sansom

I read 9 books this month, which for me is an exceptionally high number, and I completed a series which had been collecting dust on my shelf for a while. I'm very satisfied.

message 23: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments I loved Guards! Guards! - did you like it?

message 24: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Anita Reads wrote: "I loved Guards! Guards! - did you like it?"

Yes! Lady Ramkin and the little dragons were the best XD

message 25: by Barb (new)

Barb Jonetta wrote: "Sorry to have contributed to adding a new series but, c’mon...it’s Dugoni😏"

Oh I know, and I agree :) I'm kind of excited to follow Charles a bit more to see where his story line goes.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Fine month, Lauren and it warms my heart to learn you’re back in the reading groove💜 Well done!."

Thanks Jonetta! I'm happy to have my groove back too :)

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Barb wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Caught up with four series: Brit in the FBI (Catherine Coulter & J.T. Ellison), Southern Eclectic (Molly Harper), Scottish Booksh..."

Catching up with 4 is amazing! Well done, Barb!

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "I only read 12 books, admittedly two of them were over 500 pages and most others 400+, ."

That's fantastic, Jonetta! You got in a lot of pages this month.

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "I've never looked at how many pages I read in a month. That could be interesting. Maybe I should start tracking that."

I don’t really track them but participate in three challenges where I’m reporting the page numbers read or audio hours listened to for every book finished.

message 30: by Jonetta (new)

Anita Reads wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes - I finished 1 series
Fire in You (Wait for You, #6) by J. Lynn
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you conti..."

You’ve a lot to be happy about, Anita! You made sone great progress in your series reading.

Sorry about those DNFs. Wish I had the courage to put a book permanently aside.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

~ Giulia ~ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Amazingly, I did! I binge read the last 2 books in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and got up to date in the Tales f..."

Congratulations, Giulia on a wonderful month of reading! Just icing on the cake that you also made great progress in your series.

message 32: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1045 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished one series, a Dutch childrens series I listened to: De Kleine Kapitein by Paul Biegel. I listened to book 2 and 3 last month.

I started two new series and will continue both.
The Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh, I read the first three books
Deverry by Katharine Kerr, I have read this series before, but that was more then 20 years ago, through the library.

Besides the books already mentioned I also moved forward in the Rebel of the Sands trilogy by reading book 2. And I read book 5 in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.

All books where good, but my favorite was Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton. A very good second book in the series.

The amount of books had gone up, I read a total of 9 books, listening to three books also helped that.

De kleine kapitein in het land van Waan en Wijs by Paul Biegel De kleine kapitein en de schat van Schrik en Vreze by Paul Biegel Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh Zilverdolk (Deverry, #1) by Katharine Kerr Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2) by Alwyn Hamilton Örnarnas Triumf (Temeraire, #5) by Naomi Novik

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2162 comments Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed the Real Series and binged the Inside Out series
Racer (Real, #7) by Katy Evans If I Were You (Inside Out, #1) by Lisa Renee Jones
I got up to date with the Brooklyn Bruisers series
Overnight Sensation (Brooklyn Bruisers #5) by Sarina Bowen
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? 3 and will continue
Austin (Sexton Brothers, #1) by Lauren Runow His Banana (Objects of Attraction, #1) by Penelope Bloom Marked (Hostage Rescue Team #1) by Kaylea Cross
I have already finished the Sexton Brothers
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many? 3
One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2) by Sarah MacLean Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3) by Kristen Ashley Up in Smoke (Crossing the Line, #2) by Tessa Bailey

The entire Inside Out series was so great. Romance with mystery. great writing. I can't recommend that one enough. It is an old series, I have owned it forever it seems. The Sextion Brothers series was also another great series. I finished the trilogy April 1st.
I had 2 DNF in two series that I was loving so that was a disappointment. Otherwise I loved my books. I found some new authors-Lisa Renee Jones and Lauren Runow/Jeannine Colette that I need to read more of. I did a good job of reading books I already owned which is a big goal for me to do this year.

message 34: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 525 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Up to date in the Stephanie Plum books with the completion of Look Alive Twenty-Five 3 Stars

Yes...so many...
Stalking Jack the Ripper 2 Stars-- I might continue it but I'm on the fence
City of Bones 3 Stars--This was a re-read and I liked it even less than the first time I read it but I'm moving on anyway (4 1/2 years ago I gave it 3.5)
Wild Hearts 3 Stars--Although this was just average to me I will have to continue to find out who killed Dick because there wasn't a conclusion to that part of the mystery
Alpha One 4 Stars--although I technically read book 3 already I'm counting this one as starting since it's the beginning. I will read the rest. I like Cynthia Eden's writing style a lotBecause of Miss Bridgerton 4 Stars--I really liked this one and of course I'll continue...I've missed reading Julia Quinn so much.

Yes with reading Vision in Silver I'm one step forward with one series
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them? Vision in Silver was the closest to a 5 star with 4.5 I loved the forward momentum of The Others' storyline. Granted Meg's character wasn't as interesting this time around for me but I love where Bishop is taking the series.

I read a total of 7 books in March. Most of what I read was good or better with the exception of Stalking Jack the Ripper. The heroine was TSTL Jumped to ridiculous conclusions all the while claiming to be a woman of science. She was really annoying.
Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco Alpha One (Shadow Agents, #1) by Cynthia Eden Look Alive Twenty-Five (Stephanie Plum, #25) by Janet Evanovich City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Wild Hearts (Secrets and Lies, #1) by Sharon Sala Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #1) by Julia Quinn

message 35: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 525 comments Anita Reads wrote: "I loved Guards! Guards! - did you like it?"

I've been meaning to start the Terry Pratchett series but have been putting it off. I might make that a goal for 2020.

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished one series, a Dutch childrens series I listened to: De Kleine Kapitein by Paul Biegel. I listened to book 2 and 3 last..."

Lieke, you had a really good month! It’s one thing to start a new series but it’s great when you advance in it in the same month. Congratulations!

I’ve been trying to get back to the Guild Hunter series for a long time now. Enjoy!

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed the Real Series and binged the Inside Out series
Racer (Real, #7) by Katy Evans If I Were You (Inside Out, #1) by Lisa Renee Jones
I got u..."

Laura, you had wins in just about every category...bingeing through a series, reading books you already own and enjoying what you read. Congrats on a great month!

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Christina T wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Up to date in the Stephanie Plum books with the completion of Look Alive Twenty-Five 3 Stars

2. Did you start a..."

Yay Christina! Good to see you have such a good month. I’m dying to start Bishop’s series as I’ve collected all the books and she’s now started a spinoff. Maybe this year...*sigh*

message 39: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments Christina T wrote: "Anita Reads wrote: "I loved Guards! Guards! - did you like it?"

I've been meaning to start the Terry Pratchett series but have been putting it off. I might make that a goal for 2020."

Oh - I highly recommend. You can honestly read it in any order, but I highly recommened the discworld/publication order. Just because you dip in and out of each series.

message 40: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments Christina T wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

2. Did you start a..."

I started reading Vision in Silver 2 years ago, but I never got very far. I'm planning on trying to get back to it one of the next months.

message 41: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 525 comments Jonetta you should read the Other books. I love them enough that I tend to slow my roll with reading them to make them last longer.

Anita I thought this book was more "filler" for the series. A book written by Bishop to explain more of her world not to push the character's forward much. I still enjoyed it because the Others fascinate me so much. I love the ponies that aren't really ponies.

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

I voted for it as the Fantasy series choice but it didn’t make it:(

message 43: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1045 comments Me too, maybe we can do it after the current series :)
It had only one vote less... so maybe it will make it the next time.

message 44: by Jonetta (new)

That’s a great idea, Lieke! We will float that recommendation when we complete the current series.

message 45: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments The first book in that series (Written in Red) is one of my favorite UF books I've read. My favorite is probably the Mercy Thompson books.

message 46: by Lauren (new)

I add my recommendation for the Others series.

@Jonetta - I didn't vote for it because I've already read most of the books :)