Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Professor
This topic is about The Professor
Bronte Sisters Collection > The Professor - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pink | 6556 comments The Professor by Charlotte Brontë is our Old School read for May 2019.

This is the No Spoiler Thread
The Spoiler Thread will open May 1st

This early posting of the No Spoiler thread is to discuss any non-plot issues pertaining to the book.

Appropriate Posts can contain:
1. Information about the author.
2. Compare editions/translations.
3. Any historical or background information
4. Are you familiar with this author’s work? Do you have any expectations going into the book?
5. What made you decide to read this book?
6. Any fan fiction that you have read or would like to read? Just link the books.
7. If you loved the book and want others to share in that experience, use this thread to motivate others, again save plot specifics for the Spoiler thread
8. If you hated the book, it would be best to keep that for the spoiler page

The most important thing to remember is no plot discussion. Any post that contains plot information or spoilers will be deleted.

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2359 comments Hmmm. I shall keep an eye out for a copy of this at my book sales. Just in case.

Kathleen | 3589 comments Well, I found one at a library book sale recently! Looking forward to this.

Piyangie | 407 comments I read this last year. Interestingly, I enjoyed it more than Jane Eyre .

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 4587 comments Mod
Has been on my radar forever...so I am in.

Laurie | 1578 comments I'm in too.

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 96 comments I'll be reading along on this one.

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Piyangie wrote: "I read this last year. Interestingly, I enjoyed it more than Jane Eyre ."

That is good to know. I actually quite like Jane Eyre

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 258 comments I'm in, just got the email from my library so will be picking it up tomorrow.

Peter (peterc99) | 14 comments Finished it today. For now I’ll just say the only Brontë book I like better is The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Outstanding.

Terris | 2338 comments I plan to begin sometime this month, and am looking forward to it!

Piyangie | 407 comments I read this last year and enjoyed it. I won't be rereading but would love to join in with the discussion. I wouldn't give in any spoilers here, but I would like to say I enjoyed it more than Jane Eyre . I will give my reasons later when everyone has read it. :)

Laurie | 1578 comments I finished this yesterday so I look forward to the impressions of others.

Kathleen | 3589 comments Yikes, it's May 1st and I'm already behind! I will start this as soon as I finish Dracula, hopefully by the weekend. Really excited about this one. I've only read Jane Eyre, but was completely captivated by Charlotte's writing.

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1429 comments Just started.

Free audiobook here:
https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/209/the-pr...
I also tried the https://librivox.org/ version, but liked the other one better.

Barry Anderson | 2 comments Thanks for sharing the Lit2Go link. The Librivox version was maddening with the mispronunciations.

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 96 comments I've started, but won't be into it very far for a week or so. I just finished Villette and read that there are some commonalities, so I'm excited to dig in. I still have a lot of love for Jane Eyre and Villette was wonderful as well.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul (pleasantman) | 20 comments HELP! - I DON’T SPEAK FRENCH!: Can anyone recommend an edition of “The Professor” by Charlotte Bronte that includes translations of the French passages? I see several editions of the book, by different publishers, all available on Amazon, but, when I read the comments, I see complaints about how the enjoyment and of the work is undermined (if not destroyed) by long passages in French with no translation appearing either in line or in a footnote. Can someone point me to a specific edition (naming the publisher! and where / how to get it)?

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1429 comments I have been too lazy to do anything else than just ignore them. Is there anything important there that you cannot guess from the text?

Example from chap 11: (no spoiler here, I just placed that tag since this is the no-spoiler tread:)
(view spoiler)

Kathleen | 3589 comments I'm reading this one: The Professor by Charlotte Brontë The Professor, the "Oxford World Classics" edition published by Oxford University Press.

I just looked at the passage J BlueFlower mentioned, and it is translated in a footnote in my edition. I thumbed through and found a few more that were also translated in footnotes, but some very short (maybe repeated) phrases that were not.

So I can't say for sure this would cover everything, Paul, but I think it will work for me. Because like J BlueFlower said, I would probably ignore them otherwise.

It looks like it's free on Kindle, and some cheap paperback copies are available.

message 21: by Sue (last edited May 07, 2019 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3050 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I have been too lazy to do anything else than just ignore them. Is there anything important there that you cannot guess from the text?

Example from chap 11: (no spoiler here, I just placed that ta..."

I don't worry about passages in other languages anymore either. I learned my first lesson with reading "The Name of the Rose" which had so many Latin passages. I brought a separate book that translated the Latin. After a while, I realized that the passages were just confirming an already stated idea.

I'm hoping to start on this book tomorrow. Like Peter, my favorite Bronte book is The Tenant of Wildfel Hall

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul (pleasantman) | 20 comments Thanks to all for the comments regarding the French! Really appreciate it (and all of you!)!

message 23: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3050 comments I just got to the French part and it's more substantial than I imagined. I hope it doesn't continue this way because I was absolutely loving this up to that point.

message 24: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3050 comments The French language was only heavy in one or two chapters.

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

The untranslated French was one of my issues with Villette as well, but then I stopped to try to translate it myself. This time I am just skipping through it. Either I catch the drift, or I don't, but not letting it break the flow of the narrative.

Laurie | 1578 comments I read this on my Kindle and could highlight the French phrases for translation. I am ashamed that my 2 years of college French have been forgotten to the point that I had to resort to Google translate, which was not perfect but I got the gist.

message 27: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3050 comments Laurie wrote: "I read this on my Kindle and could highlight the French phrases for translation. I am ashamed that my 2 years of college French have been forgotten to the point that I had to resort to Google trans..."

I read it on Kindle too and didn't realize I could do that!

Kathleen | 3589 comments I just started this and have to say I love Charlotte's passionate writing. I noticed a repeated use of the word "animal:" animal attraction, animal instincts, animal characteristics ...

message 29: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished, and I reacted to this much as I did to Villette. It was good, there are glimpses of the writer Charlotte was to become, but not a masterpiece, like Jane Eyre. I felt she struggled with how to bring it to a conclusion...it kept going long after it might have ended without any loss to the story.

I'm afraid the most interesting character for me was Hunsden. I kept trying to figure him out...why he did what he did. I would have actually enjoyed a bit more searching of his soul.

Laurie | 1578 comments Sara wrote: "Finished, and I reacted to this much as I did to Villette. It was good, there are glimpses of the writer Charlotte was to become, but not a masterpiece, like Jane Eyre. I felt she struggled with ho..."

I thought the ending was truncated. It was like she meant to go on a bit more about their son but changed her mind and just stopped. I agree the book could have ended sooner though.

message 31: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes, it just didn't have the feeling that it was well planned or that she was sure, it was as if she didn't know how to get out, so she just stopped.

message 32: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited May 18, 2019 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2806 comments Mod
I am starting The Professor today reading a Kindle download copy. There is also a Librivox audiobook on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0gMb.... It is a group effort with various readers, some better than others.

I love the introduction. Charlotte writes that she wants to write about a person who earns what he has by the sweat of the brow and that there should not be any sudden turns in fortunes or marriages to rich beautiful women. I think this is a promising premise for a book.

Terry | 1361 comments I am also just starting The Professor.

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1429 comments Lynn, see the link in #15 for alternative free audiobook.

message 35: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited May 18, 2019 05:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2806 comments Mod
J_BlueFlower wrote: "Lynn, see the link in #15 for alternative free audiobook."

Thanks He is a very nice reader.

Wow Lit2Go is fabulous. I have been distracted by the Sherlock Holmes short stories. The narrator on those is also very good.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jane Eyre (other topics)
The Professor (other topics)
The Professor (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charlotte Brontë (other topics)