You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > May 2019 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Apr 04, 2019 02:26AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Theme nomination time!

If you have an idea for a theme for the May group read, go ahead and nominate it below.

Please avoid blatant nominations for themes that fit in to the yearly challenge.

If you don't have a theme idea, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Only 5 themes will make the cut and end up in the poll.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations end 6th April.

Nominations:
Epistolary books
Historical fiction set before 1919 (seconded)
Set in EU country and published after 1993 (seconded)
Books about cheaters
The importance of family theme

message 2: by Lanelle (last edited Apr 01, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments I nominate epistolary books (stories told through letters, emails, texts, documents, and other stuff).

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48767 comments My mother-in-law celebrates her 100th birthday in May. I nominate that we read a historical fiction that is set earlier than 1919.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15087 comments Wow! 100 years old! Congrats! Is she still (relatively) independent?

I second HF set before 1919.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Brexit is a complete fiasco but at some point, we're supposed to be leaving the EU. So I nominate books set in a country who are members of the European Union and published after 1993 (when the EU properly came in to force). Can you tell I don't want to leave?!?

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15087 comments Oh, I like that one too Sarah!

And Lanelle's suggestion too.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48767 comments Peggy wrote: "Wow! 100 years old! Congrats! Is she still (relatively) independent?

I second HF set before 1919."

She still lives alone in her own home. Her grandson lives in the basement suite so there is someone close by. She has Home Care come in every morning to get her up and washed, and every evening to get her ready for bed.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I want a naughty book. Something with lots of illicit affairs and scandals. So I am nominating books about cheaters.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will second Janice's nomination, historical fiction set before 1919.

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Renee wrote: "I want a naughty book. Something with lots of illicit affairs and scandals. So I am nominating books about cheaters."

Ooo err Renee!

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9422 comments Lol, Renee. I'm not going to ask you why!

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments LOL I think because y life has hit a rut. Same thing today as yesterday.

Saar The Book owl | 1775 comments In Belgium and The Netherlands the 'Book Week' has started with the theme: 'Mother, woman.'

Maybe a book about feminism?

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments We had feminist fiction recently Saar so to make it different it would need to be non-fiction or come up with something different based on the 'Mother, woman' theme?!

Saar The Book owl | 1775 comments Oh, I wasn't sure we had that already.
Then I'll go for 'The importance of family'.

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 54 comments I third HF set before 1919

message 17: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9775 comments Sarah wrote: "Brexit is a complete fiasco but at some point, we're supposed to be leaving the EU. So I nominate books set in a country who are members of the European Union and published after 1993 (when the EU ..."

I have to second the EU theme - I don't want you to leave either Sarah *stiffled sobbing*

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Any more for any more?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.