Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > 2019 Left Coast Crime Winners

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 646 comments Mod
Thrilled to be at “Whale of a Crime” 🐳 the 2019 Left Coast Crime festival that took place in Vancouver B.C. this year.
Last night the book awards were handed out and here are the winners :

Best Mystery Novel

November Road by Lou Berney November Road
by Lou Berney

Lou’s book has received glowing reviews, I’m super excited to read this

Best Historical Mystery

The Widows of Malabar Hill (Perveen Mistry, #1) by Sujata Massey The Widows of Malabar Hill
by Sujata Massey

Set in 1920’s India during the days of the British empire - a riveting mystery with wonderful cultural history . This book introduces Perveen Mistry who is Bombay’s only investigating female lawyer. And for those who love this one, you’ll be thrilled that Book #2 in this series, The Satapur Moonstone (Perveen Mistry, #2) by Sujata Massey The Satapur Moonstone is due out on May 14/19

Best Humerous Mystery

Scot Free by Catriona McPherson Scot Free
by Catriona McPherson

Catriona is so hysterical & witty in person. Excited to see how her humour translates to the page. Since I have to watch the weight of my luggage for the flight home, I was thrilled to find a kindle copy at a good price. The second book in this humorous series is also available now Scot & Soda (Last Ditch Mystery #2) by Catriona McPherson
(She is also the author of the Dandy Gilver historical mysteries set in Scotland)

Best Debut Mystery

A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1) by Dianne Freeman A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder
by Dianne Freeman

Mystery, romance & mischief among the aristocracy in Victorian England. The second book in this series comes out on June 25/19; A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2) by Dianne Freeman A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder
Another series I’m tickled to begin reading 😉

I love discovering new authors & series, and these fantastic conventions always give me plenty of new books to add to my ever increasing tbr piles. We’re still on the beautiful west coast seeing the sights & enjoying the fabulous weather but I’m itching to dive into these books 😎

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Icewineanne wrote: "Thrilled to be at “Whale of a Crime” 🐳 the 2019 Left Coast Crime festival that took place in Vancouver B.C. this year.
Last night the book awards were handed out and here are the winners :

Best My..."

How cool!

I’m reading Malabar Hill this month with my F2F book club and can’t believe I still haven’t read any of Massey’s books set in Japan. November Roads been on my TBR for a little while and I should no doubt push it up. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on any you read.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 260 comments Thank you for this announcement. See you in San Diego?

message 4: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "Thrilled to be at “Whale of a Crime” 🐳 the 2019 Left Coast Crime festival that took place in Vancouver B.C. this year.
Last night the book awards were handed out and here are th..."

Thanks so much for dropping by Carol. I’m reading one of freebies from the exchange table - The Monitor (Randy Craig Mystery #2) by Janice MacDonald The Monitor..............but right after I finish this, I’ll dive into one of the winners. Found way too many fantastic books that I want to read at this fest.
Excited to read your thoughts on ‘Widows’ & November Road when you get to it 😊

message 5: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Karen wrote: "Thank you for this announcement. See you in San Diego?"

Karen......are you the Karen I met in Vancouver?? The person with the bookclub & friends with Suzanne & Michael?
Thrilled that you found me (if you’re the same person)!!!
Regardless - many thanks for dropping by. Would love to be at San Diego but Sacramento also beckons.....unfortunately I can’t go to both........perhaps Tucson in 2021 😉

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 260 comments No, I did not go to Vancouver, but I do host a reading group...

message 7: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Karen wrote: "No, I did not go to Vancouver, but I do host a reading group..."

Aahhh.......met a Karen at the fest who was trying to persuade me to attend next year’s fest in San Diego. Terrific that you also host a reading group.......hope you find something here that tweaks your interest 😉