You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > April 2019 - Reporting

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Please read through the reporting thread carefully to ensure to report correctly to get your badge/s.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

If you lead the discussion, please state this in your post.

Here is an example for how to report your read:

“I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the story line but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

Please note, there are THREE different badges that can be obtained for group reads. Those reading and discussing one of the two chosen group reads will receive a colourful badge similar to those for previous group reads. Those reading and discussing any other book in the theme will receive a stamp. The discussion leader for the two chosen group reads will receive a badge stating they led the discussion. Maximum amount of badges you can receive for the group reads is TWO - one for the chosen group read/discussion leader and one for any other book in the theme.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. put your Wall of Fame Name at the beginning of your post as follows: WoF Name - Peggy
2. have read the book(s) before or during April 2019.
3. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
4. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47184 comments WoF - Janice

I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, one of the two selected books and discussed it in the designated thread.

I thought the story was quite weird. It examines the quality that sets humans apart from artificial life forms - empathy. I thought the premise was a bit flimsy. I saw the movie Blade Runner when it first came out and again last year when the sequel came out and preferred the movie.

message 3: by Cherie (last edited Apr 08, 2019 06:57PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19585 comments I think I preferred the movie too - the original. I have not seen the newest one. It is not marked as Read, but I am sure I have read the book, at least once. There were a few scenes in the book I appreciated, only because they clarified something in the movie, at the time. There are faces in my head, but details are fuzzy enough that I did not read any of the discussion. I always felt sorry for the androids.

I re-listened to the other book, just because I felt like listening to Will Wheaton. Funny, I go back to pick up specific scenes, and fall asleep and wake up in the same sections over and over again. I put it away and am moving on. I have Monster to listen to now.

message 4: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1627 comments WofF TrudyAn
I read The Android's Dream for the April group read, and participated in the designated group discussion.

This is the first book I have read of this author. I enjoyed his writing, especially his wit and snarkiness, and the creativity in his imagining of societies of the future. I hadn't expected political diplomacy to form such a large part of the plot in a sci-fi book. There wasn’t a lot of character development, and I didn’t care at all for the slapstick nature of some of the action scenes. Three stars.

message 5: by Cherie (last edited Apr 15, 2019 08:02AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19585 comments WoF Cherie

I read The Trouble with Goats and Sheep for an alternate selection. I had already read both of the books that were chosen as the group reads. I even re-listened to The Android's Dream, just for fun.

I discussed The Trouble with Goats and Sheep in the alternate theme thread. At the end of the book, I decided that I had enjoyed reading it and I am sure that I never would have, if it had not been nominated. It was definitely not what I expected, from the title, but I wanted to know what "the trouble was". I found out. The book was really a mystery, and a discussion of God, and an inside look at people in a very small, British neighborhood, in a summer heat wave in 1976. It was filled with secrets and attitudes and judgements - and two little girls and their decision to find God by going door to door to the houses on their street and talking to their neighbors.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Apr 10, 2019 04:42AM) (new)

Kristie | 12949 comments WoF: Kristie

I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and discussed in the group read thread. I thought the book started out strange, but due to the world it was set in and the first relationship you are exposed to. Then, it got interesting, maybe a little confusing, but I wanted to know where it would go. Then, it just fell apart for me. I did not care for the last, I don't know, maybe 25%. There was a fairly specific turning point for me, which I thought made some sense, but I just didn't care for it. The end really killed it for me.

message 7: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1994 comments WoF Marnie

I read The Android's Dream and discussed it in the group thread. This was my first Scalzi book and am interested to read more of him. One of my favorite things in the story was his subtle references to other books and contemporary events. I am typically a fast reader and found myself slowing down so that I didn't miss too many Easter eggs.

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Cherie wrote: "I read The Trouble with Goats and Sheep for an alternate selection. I had already read both of the books that were chosen as the group reads. I even re-listened to [book:The Android..."

WoF?????!

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments WoF Sarah

I read The Android's Dream and discussed it in the relevant thread. I enjoyed the humour in the book. It was a complex plot with some very weird happenings. The alien cultures were well imagined and described throughout. It was a fun read and exactly what i needed. Loved the little easter eggs in this one. I don't recall him doing that in his other books. Not my favourite Scalzi book but still 4 stars! If a sequel does end up being realised, i'll drfinitly read it.

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19585 comments Sorry, Sarah. I will fix it on Monday when I will be on my laptop and can edit it.

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments Wof Renee

I read and discussed Do Andorids Dream of Electric Sheep.

It is a weird but wonderful book that makes you question what it is to be human. Is it out ability to empathize? Is it our ability to communicate? What is it?

This was a reread. I think I enjoyed it more this time. I knew where the story was going. It allowed me to focus on other things.

This month went crazy. I wish I had had more time to express some of my thoughts while others were still reaing

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19585 comments Sarah wrote: "Cherie wrote: "I read The Trouble with Goats and Sheep for an alternate selection. I had already read both of the books that were chosen as the group reads. I even re-listened to [b..."

Fixed it.

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Thanks Cherie :)

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Renee wrote: "Wof Renee

I read and discussed Do Andorids Dream of Electric Sheep.

It is a weird but wonderful book that makes you question what it is to be human. Is it out ability to empathize? Is it our abil..."

For future reference, please also mention that you were discussion leader. Just to make sure you get the correct badge.

message 15: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9402 comments WoF Margo

I read The Android's Dream, narrated by the Will Wheaton. This was a very enjoyable listen.

The story is set in the far future when earth is socially and economically involved with many alien races. As the reader would expect Scalzi's world building is first class. He draws us into the complex politics that exist within and between the different races, and let's face it, noone does politics better than this author. The chapters are very well drawn and the humour is quick fire.

I enjoyed this more than the Old Man's War because it has more political focus and less action sequences. The action that it does contain is mostly very, very funny.

Highly recommend the audiobook to fans of extra-terrestrial scheming and shenanigans 😆

message 16: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2070 comments I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and have added some thoughts to its discussion thread.
It was an alright read, it answered some movie questions, but it added far more, and I didn't care for this ending. It did raise some interesting questions about humanity and empathy.

message 17: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments WoF - Annerlee

I read The Android's Dream one of the two selected books and discussed it in the discussion thread. I also had a shot at leading the discussion and hope I did a decent enough job...

The alien life forms, cultures and worlds Scalzi created were really well thought out and fascinating (so complex and so believable). The plot was about political intrigue and power games in general, with a large dose of action, AI personalities, iffy science and some well formulated toilet humour. The twists and turns kept me on my toes - newly introduced characters, reactions or facts help shifted the focus of power on a number of ocasions and I was never sure what the ultimate outcome would be. All this was well executed and extremely clever.

I've read Scalzi before - he is one of my favourite authors. For some reason, though, I didn't enjoy the book as much as I should have.

Maybe the emphasis on politics was too much for me? There were definitely too many characters and names for me to keep track of and I didn't really care who came out on top.

The AI characters were my favourite quirk, but none of the other characters really appealed to my imagination, not even the main players. I think this was what ultimately let me down.

For me, this was one of Scalzi's less successful books. I gave it 3 stars.

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments Thank you Peggy I will remember to mention I was leader next time. I didn't realize their was a special badge

message 19: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Badges have been posted. Let me know if I missed you.