You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > April 2019 - Sheep Theme

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14594 comments If the two chosen books are not to your liking, you can read another book that fits this month's 'sheep theme'. These could for example be books about sheep, or with sheep or sheep-related words on the cover or in the title.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book before or during April 2019.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I downloaded the ebook of The Trouble with Goats and Sheep and just started reading. I have to go to the "first lines" thread and enter it. LOL!

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I am almost 3/4 of the way through The Trouble with Goats and Sheep. It is definitely not what I thought it would be. I was really thinking about wooly goats and sheep, but they are definitely the ones discussed in this story. There are two young girls, I am not sure about their ages, that are the main characters. Gracie is telling the story, and Tilly is her best and only friend. It is really a mystery and involves two time lines about nine years apart. The main story is taking place during a summer heatwave in 1976, the other in Nov of 1967. All of the people and action happens on a small cul-de-sak street, called "The Avenue". There are 10 or 12 adults that are all involved. The girls have become detectives and are searching for God. At times, I am bored, and other times, I have to keep going to see what is going to happen next. I am reading an ebook from my library. I also downloaded the book in audiobook. I enjoy the narrator's voice, but she speaks very slowly. I noticed the narration is not word for word from the book either. I do not think it is annotated, but it seems to have been edited for American listeners. The book is more British, for UK readers? I have enjoyed looking up, songs, people, soda, crisps, and biscuit names and brands. The girls were drinking It seems very drawn out and I am ready for it to end soon.

message 4: by Almeta (last edited Apr 09, 2019 02:01PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Cherie wrote: "I am almost 3/4 of the way through The Trouble with Goats and Sheep. It is definitely not what I thought it would be. I was really thinking about wooly goats and sheep, but they are..."

I'm just about to start this Cherie. I hope I don't regret the choice!

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12947 comments Sorry you aren't enjoying it more, Cherie. I considered reading that one, but went with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. It was just ok. Let us know what your final thoughts are.

I hope it works for you, Almeta. I look forward to seeing what you think of it too.

message 6: by Cherie (last edited Apr 09, 2019 03:32PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments There are some parts that are more interesting than others. It is really more about secrets and why we keep them from others, especially those in our "group". The bigotry is amazing. Actually, the ending has become more interesting. I am at 90% today. I am hoping things are resolved and I am not left hanging. I would really hate that!

Almeta - I sent the audiobook back to the library. I definitely am enjoying the ebook format better. Maybe it would have been different if I had not been listening and following along in the book. Do one or the other for this one.

message 7: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I finished the story this afternoon. After the fact, I think it was worth reading.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12947 comments Glad it got better. I think I'll keep it on my maybe read list for now.

Have you started it, Almeta? What are your initial thoughts?

message 9: by Cherie (last edited Apr 10, 2019 12:32PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Kristie wrote: "Glad it got better. I think I'll keep it on my maybe read list for now...

I did not care all that much when I first started reading it, but strange - after I finished and went back to the beginning, I liked what I read, the 2nd time, much better. I think it happens, when a story starts not at all what you may have hoped it to be. After the fact, the two little girls were great and their part of the story was sweet.

Have you started it, Almeta? What are your initial thoughts?"
Yeah - I want to know too.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12947 comments That’s great Cherie. I’ve had that happen before. Just the wrong expectations for the book.