You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Android's Dream (The Android's Dream #1)
This topic is about The Android's Dream
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > April 2019 - The Android's Dream

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Apr 01, 2019 01:03AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15386 comments ***We have added some extra information about book discussions to this post (see 'a note on discussion' below). Please read it carefully. Thanks!***

One of the group reads for April is The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

Please discuss the book in this thread.

Annerlee will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book before or during April 2019.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

A note on discussion: Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc.

In addition to this, the group reads are meant to be a "read along" so it is preferable that you discuss the book as you read rather than wait until you've finished the book.

And finally, discussion is not about just listing your thoughts. Please interact with the other group members, comment on their thoughts, and if they comment on yours, repond to them. This is what makes a good book discussion!

You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.

Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I am starting this one today! I'm excited to be reading a Scalzi again and this one looks like it will be a fun one!

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Sara I’m starting this one today too. I’ve never read this author before though I have a couple of his books on my TBR- it’s time. I have the physical book and the cover is very eye catching. In my head it screams “children’s book” but that’s not what I’m expecting based on the back cover. I’m starting this book already curious.

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Scalzi is one of my favourite authors now. I stumbled across him a couple years back through YLTO and it has been one of best finds. He's a go to author for me if I want to read a book I know I'll enjoy and find fun. Scalzi does include humour in his books, it is it the kind of humour that appeals to me. I hope you enjoy it Marnie!

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments It's far from being a children's book, Marnie. It has very mature themes. :) I hope you and Sarah both enjoy it.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments I'm curious to see what you all think of this one. I'm still surprised and disappointed that my library doesn't carry it. I think I will recommend it to them. I've enjoyed the other Scalzi books I've read.

message 7: by Marnie (last edited Apr 01, 2019 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Science fiction usually takes me a bit to get my reading feet wet but I'm not having that issue here.

Chapter 1(view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Marnie wrote: "Science fiction usually takes me a bit to get my reading feet wet but I'm not having that issue here.

Chapter 1 I thought at first the humor was going to be too sophomoric for me, not a big fan of..."

I totally agree with your comments, Marnie. I had to go at this book twice before I really settled down to read it. I had an audiobook for a week and then switched to a print copy.

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I think for me it’s much easier to start a book in print especially if it’s something I have to concentrate on to get what is going on. Then, if I have the audio too I switch to that when I’m walking, driving etc. I read that you started it twice which helped me prepare.

message 10: by Annerlee (last edited Apr 01, 2019 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments Hi everyone! I must admit, I started reading this late last week. The first sentence was such a puzzler, I had to keep on reading. I love Scalzi too and this one seems really good fun!

I'm reading on ebook.

I'm also on a mission to get more Scalzi in my local library Kristie. THey only have one of his books. Just ONE! So I've requested multiple things ( lol)

message 11: by Annerlee (last edited Apr 01, 2019 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments Marnie wrote: "Science fiction usually takes me a bit to get my reading feet wet but I'm not having that issue here.

Chapter 1 I thought at first the humor was going to be too sophomoric for me, not a big fan of..."

I agree, the subject matter could have gone horribly wrong, but in this case I think it actually works and is kind of droll..

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Annerlee wrote: "Marnie wrote: "Science fiction usually takes me a bit to get my reading feet wet but I'm not having that issue here.

Chapter 1 I thought at first the humor was going to be too sophomoric for me, n..."

Droll is a great word for this. I am a big fan of political shenanigans and this book seems to be going in that direction as well.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I read all of the first page but it made me chuckle. And yes it's a cracking first sentence.

Annerlee | 2713 comments Sarah wrote: "I read all of the first page but it made me chuckle. And yes it's a cracking first sentence."

Seems to be a bit of a Scalzi trademark. Old Man's War had a cracking opening too.
"I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my Wife's grave. Then I joined the army."

Bang... straight in there...

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments I’m not a SF fan, but so many YLTO members seem to love Scalzi, John, I thought this month’s group read would be a good time to find out why.

I started reading this last night and am currently at the end of chapter 4. (view spoiler)

I’m warming up to the author‘s sense of humour. One irritating aspect of the edition I’m reading (Tom Doherty Associates, mass market edition) is that it is filled with typos. It is very distracting.

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments TrudyAn wrote: "I’m not a SF fan, but so many YLTO members seem to love Scalzi, John, I thought this month’s group read would be a good time to find out why.

I started reading this last night and..."

That is so frustrating!!! I'm having that issue with another book The Silent Patient ( the eBook) and though I'm enjoying the story I keep putting it down out of frustration. I haven't noticed typos in the print version I'm reading

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Marnie wrote: "I think for me it’s much easier to start a book in print especially if it’s something I have to concentrate on to get what is going on. Then, if I have the audio too I switch to that when I’m walki..."

After I finished reading the book, I got the audiobook back from my library and re-listened. I enjoyed the story better, especially, since I could listen to Will Wheaton and go with the story, instead of stopping to decide if I understood what was going on.

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Indeed Annerlee!

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I am still reading John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. I have Zoe's Tale coming up in my MM challenge task soon.

message 20: by Marnie (last edited Apr 01, 2019 05:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Through chapter 4

Ok I had my first surprise (view spoiler)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Cherie wrote: "Marnie wrote: "I think for me it’s much easier to start a book in print especially if it’s something I have to concentrate on to get what is going on. Then, if I have the audio too I switch to that..."

I like that idea Cherie. If I had the audio too I think now that I understand the characters, I could follow the audio. My library only has the print version though. BOO

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments Cherie wrote: "I am still reading John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. I have Zoe's Tale coming up in my MM challenge task soon."

You and me both. I haven't read the third book yet. It's another series I need to get back to.

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Yes I'm at the same point in the Old Man's war series too.

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

This is exactly the book I needed right at this time.

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Just noticed that there is a planned sequel for this book, although it has not been written yet.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Chapter 2(view spoiler)

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments Sarah wrote: "Chapter 2.."

(view spoiler)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Sarah wrote: "Chapter 2

(view spoiler)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Janice wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Chapter 2.."

[spoilers removed]"
Good catch. I missed the humor in the name.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Re your chapter 2 spoiler Janice (view spoiler)

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Apr 02, 2019 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Just finished chapter 4. So pleased so I can read your spoilers.

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Marnie (last edited Apr 02, 2019 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments through Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on this chapter.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Sarah wrote: "chapter 3 re- Locked-IN..."
(view spoiler)

message 35: by Marnie (last edited Apr 02, 2019 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Chapters 6-7

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments Sarah wrote: "chapter 3 ..."

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Chapter 5 - Same thoughts Marnie! Just cooking dinner so can't properly comment. I will when I get a chance. Great book!

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Janice wrote: "Sarah wrote: "chapter 3 ..."

[spoilers removed]"

I need to slow down and see if I can spot them! Extra fun!

message 39: by Annerlee (last edited Apr 02, 2019 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments Re names and references. In chapter 2 we're introduced to gung ho Secretary Pope from the Ministry of Defense. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Annerlee (last edited Apr 02, 2019 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments Sarah wrote: "Re your chapter 2 spoiler Janice [spoilers removed]"
I agree Sarah. That's why I like group reads so much You guys often pick up on things I would probably never notice! Culture and background can play a big part.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments Annerlee wrote: "Re names and references. In chapter 2 we're introduced to gung ho Secretary Pope from the Ministry of Defense. ..."

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Yes I noticed that one Janice and instantly thought of him!

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Janice wrote: "Annerlee wrote: "Re names and references. In chapter 2 we're introduced to gung ho Secretary Pope from the Ministry of Defense. ..
[spoilers removed]"

I think you are right again. These hidden references are making the book so much more fun.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments Marnie wrote: "I think you are right again. These hidden references are making the book so much more fun..

Clearly most of you are having a different reading experience than I am because of your familiarity with Scalzi’s writing. I wasn’t even aware of the term ‘Easter egg ‘ (in a literary sense), so had to google it. There do seem to be a lot of references to unnamed events, and I can see that those of you who have read lots of Scalzi and other sci-if will be reading this with a different level of enjoyment and understanding.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments Annerlee wrote: "Re names and references.."

(view spoiler)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments I’m a few pages into chapter 10.

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I love easter eggs TrudyAn - in books and films. Lots of authors do it. Stephen King and his son Joe Hill often make reference to their other books and even to each others in subtle ways. To a non fan, they would miss it but it would still all make sense. To a fan, they feel in the know and get excited by it. Another author who does it is Ernest Cline but generally it's nods to films, games, books, events etc. Scalzi appears to be doing a bit of both.

I've read quite a bit whilst out and about today. I'll comment properly tomorrow. I'm mid chapter 10.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I opened my book from Audible and started listening last night, just to keep up.

Margo | 10030 comments I started yesterday. I have read a few Scalzi novels before and usually find him enjoyable but wouldn't count him in my favourites. His books sometimes contain too much action for my liking. The one that I loked best so far is Redshirts.

Chapters 1 and 2 : (view spoiler)

Margo | 10030 comments Annerlee wrote: "Re names and references. In chapter 2 .." (view spoiler)

« previous 1