Literary Award Winners Fiction Book Club discussion

Milkman
This topic is about Milkman
Past Reads > Milkman by Anna Burns, chapters 1 - 3

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

George (georgejazz) | 457 comments Mod
Please comment here on Milkman by Anna Burns, chapters 1 - 3.

message 2: by George (last edited Apr 01, 2019 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The 2018 Man Booker Prize winner, Milkman by Anna Burns is also the winner of the 2018 National Book Circle Critics Award for fiction, (winner announced on 15 March 2019).

I've read 100 pages so far. It's an intense read about an unnamed young Irish woman narrator. The sentences are long, no character has a name and the narrative voice is unique. I am enjoying this original, thought provoking, humorous, entertaining reading experience.

This is a steam of consciousness, first person narrative read. The protagonist is a resident and native of Belfast. It's set in the 1960s and 1970s, a period in Northern Ireland when there was open hostility between nationalists and loyalists; and between Catholics and Protestants. The narrator describes how ordinary things become personal loyalty / fidelity indicators, where innocent comments can be interpreted as having hidden meanings.

message 4: by C I N D L E (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) I did not read this title but I'm curious to see your final thoughts on it, George. It has been interesting to see the feedback about it from other readers. It appears to be a book that is either an "I love it," or "I hate it." I've also noticed some readers saying that they disliked it when reading it on the page, but when they switched to the audio version, they liked it better.

Yes, I can understand how audio can make this novel easier to appreciate. I am enjoying the reading experience but for me, it requires a fair amount of concentration. There is no let up. The pacing is constant due to the total stream of consciousness narrative. The chapters are long as are the sentences. Still, a very interesting, rewarding read.