Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

World History in Fiction

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
I just read an interesting article that discusses the difference between rising and falling empires and world orders. I was wondering if anyone writes this level of history into the fiction (mainly Sci-Fi or Fantasy, probably). Whether you've read a work or written one, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Here's a link to the article, though I must say I'm not trying to start a climate change debate or other doomsday scenario discussion. I'd like to focus on the changing world orders aspect of the article.

https://www.thenation.com/article/end...

message 2: by Smaug (new)

Smaug the Unmerciful Editor (goodreadscomsupremedrake) | 28 comments I've always wanted to write something like that. The problem is that I'm not a good enough writer and don't have a big enough imagination.

There was a series by Isaac Asimov (who I'm sure you've heard of) called Foundation, and it spans over 30,000 years. If that's not a accomplishment, I don't know what is. It's not a real-world history, but it's sorta similar in scope.

Also a lot of lame books books that need a bit more work *cough* ERAGON *cough* try and fail to put that large sort of scale into their books, when they talk about their history and how they're gonna change the world etc., etc.

I hope that helped, or was at least interesting to read. I think I went off topic somewhere. :/

message 3: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Smaug wrote: "I've always wanted to write something like that. The problem is that I'm not a good enough writer and don't have a big enough imagination.

There was a series by Isaac Asimov (who I'm sure you've h..."

Thanks for the comment. If memory serves, the author of Eragon was just 19 when he published that first book. So, I can see why there might have been deficiencies. I saw the movie, but never read the book.

message 4: by Smaug (new)

Smaug the Unmerciful Editor (goodreadscomsupremedrake) | 28 comments Stan wrote: "Smaug wrote: "I've always wanted to write something like that. The problem is that I'm not a good enough writer and don't have a big enough imagination.

There was a series by Isaac Asimov (who I'm..."

Aw, the movie? Not a good representation of the book. It's totally different and probably a lot worse. I have a movie edition of the book (with pictures from the movie and stuff) and after I read it I was amazed that the movie followed a totally different story than the book.

But I have to say the book isn't that good either. It's got a ton of stuff taken directly from Tolkien's works and then modified slightly. I think Christopher Paolini deserves some slack, though, because as you said, he was 19, and also he wrote it at first as a sort of personal story--- which explains why it's like LotR and Star Wars so very, very much. The second book departs a little from the LotR theme, but if you read the blurb, it's almost exactly like SW. I'm not kidding--- imagine the SW title theme in your head while you read it, and it totally fits.

Gosh, sorry I ranted so long. Eragon is so fun to rant about.

message 5: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Smaug wrote: "Stan wrote: "Smaug wrote: "I've always wanted to write something like that. The problem is that I'm not a good enough writer and don't have a big enough imagination.

There was a series by Isaac As..."

I don't plan on ever reading those books. Too many other things to read! But, again, thanks for commenting!

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 500 comments Mod
Smaug wrote: Eragon is so fun to rant about."

This is true. It is an obvious mix of tropes, but better than lots of indie fiction I have read. To me, it's Star Wars with dragons. Fun, but not the best thing I have ever read.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Hansen | 12 comments I tried to accomplish something like what Stan asked about in my recent novel, "The Light of Our Yesterdays." Half of the story is about a parallel Earth world in there was never a Jesus Christ. Now, over 2400 years later, the world is quite different, with Muslim Empires controlling much of Eurasia and North Africa and an Aztec Empire controlling a good chunk of North America. A new preacher now attracts Muslim and Jewish followers with a message of peace and redemption. Will this create a new world order? When I wrote the novel, I developed a whole history to justify the world order that exists and included an outline of it as an appendix to my book so readers could avoid that detail if that didn't interest them. If you are interested, there is an abbreviated version of that history on my website at www.kennethjhansen.com/history. OK, sorry for the shameless self-promotion, but the history in the book does seem on point.

message 8: by Edna (new)

Edna Koelfgen | 1 comments I can identify with you about history! Your book "The Light of Our Yesterdays" sounds great! I transposed myself into one of my main imaginary characters in my book "Beyond Coincidence." Even though it is a Paperback & eBook Novel, there is tons of real life history in my story. In 1969 when I was young & was able to get a visa via Intourist to travel within the former USSR, I kept a travel diary & used much of that real history that happened to me in my spy story. I had to be true to myself so also weaved Christianity throughout this adventure. Experiencing Communism made my patriotism to the USA grow leaps & bounds…and I was grateful that I was able to safely return home to America! Like you, I say please, too, forgive my self-promotion. Those of us in this History Group obviously love or hate history!