21st Century Literature discussion

Question of the Week > Besides Reading I Also Love To __________ ? (3/31/19)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2572 comments Mod
We know you're passionate about and devoted to reading. What other pursuits/hobbies/endeavors do you enjoy?

For example, I ,apparently, like to collect musical instruments and pretend I'm going to learn to play them one day. I like cycling, writing, and I'm trying to learn to crochet (at the glacial pace of about one project per year).

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 406 comments Besides reading, I also like listening to music - I'm a member of the Rough Trade Album Club so I receive a lot of good albums.

I also make music in my spare time:

https://thesuburbanite.bandcamp.com/

I also dj and hold parties.

Other than reading and music there's cooking - which I find relaxing

message 3: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments 18 months ago, I took early retirement so that I could try to convert my life-long passion for photography into a business. I now spend my non-reading time outside photographing nature and wildlife.

message 4: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2574 comments Mod
I lead a very boring life, but I do like to walk, especially in the hills, and I have a long term, occasional and probably impossible project to link all of my walks on the British mainland (I do have links from home to all of the main coasts except the north one - my northernmost point has been stuck at Bridge of Orchy for a few years and I think my chances of ever doing the Cape Wrath trail are receding. I used to listen to loads of music, but have found that largely displaced by reading recently. I normally do at least one cryptic crossword a day, and occasionally go to cruciverbal gatherings. And I follow a lot of sport, especially cricket, but more by reading about it than actually watching, which is too time-consuming.

message 5: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2299 comments I like to walk and cycle (bicycle, not motorcycle). I like watching college basketball (women's and men's) during March Madness and having my brackets blown (as I always pick more upsets by school without a chance than I should). I like to watch horseracing, but it has been years since I watched any other than the Triple Crown. And most of all, before and after retirement, I love to plan trips and travel, especially internationally, having been to 42 countries and 5 continents (not including those I've transited through while flying), with multiple trips to Spain and Italy and all since 1998, except Canada.

Neil, best of luck with your photography business! Robert, what a great hobby your music making is - I enjoyed the songs! The Mermaid's Tail song makes you a good candidate for leading the discussion of Mrs. Hancock and the Mermaid. Hugh, don't give up on Cape Wrath trail - I still dream of doing the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine - if Grandma Gatewood could do it, than why can't I! Marc, crocheting is a very useful hobby - keep it up!

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin Glover (erinxglover) | 27 comments I'm writing a YA novel--fulfilling a dream I've always had. To that end, I'm reading writing craft books, attending writers' conferences, having my novel book shopped, and revising. I also create workshop spaces for other writers I meet. For example, I had a woman I met in Manhattan join me at my house in Scottsdale, Arizona for a writing retreat where we critiqued each other's work.

I'm also an adrenaline junkie. I rode mountain bikes competitively for ten years, completing the Leadville 100 four times (100 miles up our tallest 14,000 foot mountain that you have to finish in 12 hours), and 24 Hours of Moab three times.

I have a motorcycle license but sold my Ducati Monster because it freaked out my spouse. Instead, I bought a super fast car. Zero to 60 in under four seconds.

When I'm not reading, writing, and going fast, I draw large paintings, usually of people, in pastel.

Also, I love photography and won the first competition I ever entered. It was local so no big deal but still. Neil, do you have a website?

Oh and Linda, I've backpacked around the world twice, mostly to SE Asia and the South Pacific for a total of one year. I trekked through Nepal for 23 days 25 years ago before everyone did it. I'd love to share stories. People that don't travel don't get it.

message 7: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments Erin - take a look at neilgeorgephotography.co.uk.

message 8: by Marc (new)

I had to look up "cruciverbal" (although it was pretty clear what it meant given the context)! My wife got me access to the NY Times crossword puzzle online recently--I'm pretty bad. I usually get through Monday's to maybe Wednesday's puzzles and then it's all downhill from there as they get increasingly harder.

Lovely site, Neal! Especially like the shots of that bird with the blue back and orange-ish breast. Just stunning.

I knew you were a traveler, Linda, but I didn't realize just how extensively! Haven't kept up too much with this year's March Madness, but the upsets always seem like fun. Like Hugh, I probably read about sports more than actually watching (mostly, just soccer/football).

Hardcore, Erin--Leadville 4x & Moab 3x!!! My wife always wanted a Ducati, but has settled for a Mustang GT (people automatically assume it's mine, but I am so not a car person... which doesn't mean I don't enjoy leaving it in 2nd and rocketing up to 60 in a few seconds when merging on the highway... you know, only when necessary).

In additional to his musical talents, Robert also has a fun/engaging book blog you can get to from this GR profile!

message 9: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments Marc - thanks - that’s a kingfisher. We only have one species of kingfisher in UK, but it is a rather impressive bird.

message 10: by Marc (new)

Apparently, we have 4 here in the U.S., but I've never seen one, and they pale in comparison to the species in the UK!

message 11: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 137 comments Wonderful hobbies, wonderful question. Thanks Marc, it's fun to get to know everyone.

A few years ago I discovered community choral singing. Working together in a group to make something sound more beautiful and more technically precise is very fun, very rewarding.

message 12: by carissa (last edited Apr 01, 2019 09:37AM) (new)

carissa The first thing that popped into my head was this song, which is true enough plus a lot of paint and paper.

message 13: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2299 comments Neil wrote: "Erin - take a look at neilgeorgephotography.co.uk."

Neil, your photos are magnificent -- all of them but especially the birds and the butterflies.

message 14: by Neil (new)

Neil | 306 comments Thanks, Linda. A lifelong passion that is now a job! Admittedly, it doesn’t pay the bills, but fortunately I don’t need it to.

message 15: by Marc (new)

How often do you get together for singing, Lark?

message 16: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 137 comments Marc wrote: "How often do you get together for singing, Lark?"

Right now I'm in a treble choir (12 women singing 3-part harmony) and we practice once a week, more often before performances. Off and on I've sung with a symphonic choir which is a lot of fun but a lot of work.

This is a great NPR piece on community choirs--https://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...

I recommend them! very community oriented, very rewarding.

message 17: by Marc (new)

Sounds like a lot of fun! And thanks for the NPR link, too. :)