I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (April 2019)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 601 comments Mod
Another month, MORE COMICS! What are you reading this month? What comic, manga, or OGN has you excited? Reading any solid on-going comics? Or mini-series? What have you been reading that you've loved this month?!

And don't miss the IRCB Top of My Pile posts on our Patreon!!

message 2: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments I plan on reading six of Nathan Edmondson's books. I also am gonna download Fearless on ComiXology

message 4: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Got caught up on My Hero Academia over the weekend, which means I'm CURRENT which is insane..

Started reading more Assassination Classroom before I dive into another Manga series (Claymore is next, then Dr. Stone).

Also sat down and read Southern Bastards Volumes 2-3. WOW. That book is insanely good. I don't know how anyone reads it month to month though. I was deeply impressed with how Aaron and Latour shaped that book... I can't wait to read volume 4.

message 5: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments Mike wrote: "Got caught up on My Hero Academia over the weekend, which means I'm CURRENT which is insane..

Started reading more Assassination Classroom before I dive into another Manga series (Claymore is next..."

Vol 4 is my the best installment so far. Personally i wasn't all taken in by Vol 1 Vol 2 was pretty good and fleshes out Coach Boss very well. Vol 3 i felt like was directionless and did a trope i hate whenever i see it in comics until the end which had me intrigued with Roberta's character and Vol 4 did a mostly good job with her but i felt like she was sidlined until the last three issues

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments Another month gone. Here is my last week:
-Black Butler, vols. 4 & 5
-One Piece, vol. 21
-Hajime no Ippo, vols. 14-17

message 7: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments Genshiken v1
20th Century Boys v1
Black Clover v1-5

Ya since Shonen Jump happened, I've only been reading manga.
Genshiken is a hilarious take on otaku culture in Japan, although I'd probably say its more targeted towards a male audience.
20th Century Boys is a book by the guy who did Monster, Naoki Urasawa. So far its pretty slice of lifey, but its quickly transitioning into a murder mystery.
I've come to the conclusion that I'm just a sucker for shonen. It really doesn't matter what the shonen is, the tropes get me super amped and excited about life. Not that this information should take away from the quality of Black Clover. It starts as a very standard kid with no powers, cares a lot about friendship, acquires powers, protects friends. The art is pretty great, and I love high magic settings. The action picks up quick, and I'm dying for more explanation on how the magic system works. Would recommend trying the manga out, I felt like the anime was a little slow? Just my opinion

message 8: by Whitney (last edited Apr 03, 2019 02:56PM) (new)

Whitney | 200 comments James wrote: "Genshiken v1
20th Century Boys v1
Black Clover v1-5

Ya since Shonen Jump happened, I've only been reading manga.
Genshiken is a hilarious take on otaku culture in Japan, although I'd probably say ..."

Genshiken is one of my top favorite anime! I REALLY want to read the manga when I have the time. Hope you love it!

I would love to get Shonen Jump, since it is SO cheap, but I noticed the image quality is lower (than Comixology, etc. I can't get Comixology Unlimited b/c I'm in Canada). I tried to research why this is and found only one tweet (months ago) where Viz acknowledges it as an app bug. But I have the same problem on my desktop as well. Do you have this problem?? I'm wondering if I could contact support, but I don't really think they could help or want to fix it. It seems to not affect some people and some others just don't care or notice. I notice. lol.

message 9: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments Also i'm hoping to get to a couple of Charles Soule's books (Letter 44, Curse Words, Strange Attractors)

message 10: by Craig (new)

Craig | 19 comments Donny Cates, Donny Cates, and more Donny Cates...

Finished Redneck, Vol. 3: Longhorns, then on to Babyteeth, Vol. 1; Babyteeth, Vol. 2; The Death of the Inhumans...Maybe Baby Thanos Must Die will show up next?

message 11: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic book run:

War of the Realms 1: the invading army comes to Manhattan as Midgard enters the war
Uncanny X-Men 15- Cap drops by with a word of warning and things get better(?) for some of the team
Star Wars 64- the plan against the Traitor Queen continues
Red Sonja 3- the war against the emperor drags on
Hotshots 2- what DO you do with Celestial tech? And wait until you see who hired Deadpool
Champions 4- Miles tells Kamala what happened and Sam's past catches up with him
Invaders 3- well, it's been a few years, why not retcon Namor again?
Marvel Team Up 1- the classic returns with a weird flip format pairing Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel
Justice League 21- the truth is revealed

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam M (adamagain) | 39 comments Craig wrote: "Donny Cates, Donny Cates, and more Donny Cates...

Finished Redneck, Vol. 3: Longhorns, then on to Babyteeth, Vol. 1; Babyteeth, Vol. 2; The Death of the Inhumans...Maybe Baby Thanos Must Die will ..."

How is Babyteeth? It's been on my radar for a while, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up and would love to hear anything about it.

message 13: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments To mention I'm currently reading Hellbreak by Cullen Bunn and Fearless by Mark Sable. I'm trying to find some comics I have on my to-read shelf so I can lower it down

message 14: by Chad (new)

Chad | 662 comments Adam wrote: "How is Babyteeth? It's been on my radar for a while, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up and would love to hear anything about it. "

Babyteeth is Donny Cates best work IMO. It's about a teenager who gives birth to the antichrist. All these cults are after her while her sister and dad are just trying to keep her and her baby safe.

message 15: by Craig (new)

Craig | 19 comments Adam wrote: "How is Babyteeth? It's been on my radar for a while, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up and would love to hear anything about."

So far so good. I don't think it's his best work--that honor has to go to Redneck for me--but it isn't bad. We'll see how things go...

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments Adam wrote: "Craig wrote: "Donny Cates, Donny Cates, and more Donny Cates...

Finished Redneck, Vol. 3: Longhorns, then on to Babyteeth, Vol. 1; Babyteeth, Vol. 2; The Death of the Inhumans...Maybe Baby Thanos ..."

I read two volumes of Babyteeth; they were very good. But I can't really remember them. I've been meaning to dive back into the newest issues and refresh my memory. Redneck really grew on me. I love it.

message 17: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments Whitney wrote: "I tried to research why this is and found only one tweet (months ago) where Viz acknowledges it as an app bug. But I have the same problem on my desktop as well. Do you have this problem??

Unfortunately I've never had picture quality issues on desktop or the app :/ Might just be Canada.

message 18: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments James wrote: "Whitney wrote: "I tried to research why this is and found only one tweet (months ago) where Viz acknowledges it as an app bug. But I have the same problem on my desktop as well. Do you have this pr..."

Well, I'm happy that you don't have that problem. I think I will ask support then. :)

message 19: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

I sat down and read Cannabis: The Illegalization of Weed in America and Bloom today -- both books I picked up at c2e2.

Box Brown nails it with his wonderful, documentary-style in Cannabis.

Meanwhile, my heart melted reading Bloom. This is such a nice, soft story. First Second has a seriously solid knack for publishing books that are heartfelt, kind, and just plain nice (see also: The Prince and the Dressmaker).

message 20: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments Does anyone else have a case of "i have too many series to catch up on" cause i have ALOT lol. I did start rereading what i have read of Low Road West so i can read the final issue

message 21: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments Devon wrote: "Does anyone else have a case of "i have too many series to catch up on" cause i have ALOT lol. I did start rereading what i have read of Low Road West so i can read the final issue"

LOL yes! I've made a list of all the anime, manga, and comics I need to catch up on or finish. I need to focus on that stuff instead of new....or that has been the plan but as of today I have just added another series to my reading list. I don't seem to learn.

Anyone else get really impatient and frustrated that there is SO much out there to read? Instead I should be grateful that there is so much content, but I feel like I'm perpetually behind.

message 22: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments Whitney wrote: "Devon wrote: "Does anyone else have a case of "i have too many series to catch up on" cause i have ALOT lol. I did start rereading what i have read of Low Road West so i can read the final issue"

..."

Yeah same. Though recently i have finished shows i have dropped (like Hell On Wheels, The Fall, The X-Files Season 1, Banshee and i'm going to start the final seasons of Mad Men and Sons Of Anarchy in four days)

message 23: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments Devon wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Devon wrote: "Does anyone else have a case of "i have too many series to catch up on" cause i have ALOT lol. I did start rereading what i have read of Low Road West so i can read th..."

Those are really good shows! Nice taste.

message 24: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments Whitney wrote: "Devon wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Devon wrote: "Does anyone else have a case of "i have too many series to catch up on" cause i have ALOT lol. I did start rereading what i have read of Low Road West so..."

Yeah and i like all of them. Could i DM you about some other ones i have watched and that i am planning to watch?2

message 25: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments Devon wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Devon wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Devon wrote: "Does anyone else have a case of "i have too many series to catch up on" cause i have ALOT lol. I did start rereading what i have read of ..."

Sure.

Read this week:
-Die #5
-Hajime no Ippo, vols. 18-24
-Jughead: The Hunger #13
-Outcast #37-40
-Paper Girls #27
-Sabrina the Teenage Witch #1
-Tomo-chan Is a Girl, vols. 1-6
-The Walking Dead #190

message 26: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Haines (lemonhands) | 13 comments I am currently reading Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 8 volume 4 'Time of Your Life'
So far it is pretty meh.

message 27: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Sat down and read Spencer & Locke last night as prep for our interview with David Pepose next week. It definitely has, as many have described it, that Calvin & Hobbes meets Sin City vibe, which I'm pretty cool with.

I also got an advanced look at Spencer & Locked 2 #1 (which is out pretty soon), and WOWOWOWOW has Jorge Santiago Jr.'s art improved. He was pretty fantastic on volume 1 of this series, but his style has improved!

message 28: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week was a light one at the comic shop:

Unstoppable Wasp 6- Mostly great, the humor is wonderful, not a fan of the cutesy art and one scene was, at the risk of offending, overboard on the PC scale. Nadia tries to make amends for recent events .
Hawkman 11- the war rages on against the Deathbringers
Invaders 4- Namor's past is retconned yet again, guest starring Charles Xavier
X-Force 6- recent events from Stryfe's POV
Winter Soldier 5- the mini wraps up as Bucky and RJ have their confrontation over RJ's father.

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Haines (lemonhands) | 13 comments I have finally got Artifact One #0 so i am going to read the 4 or 5 of those I have been waiting to read

message 30: by Chad (last edited Apr 11, 2019 08:17AM) (new)

Chad | 662 comments This week I've read:

Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Friends and Foes - Just OK.
She Could Fly - Disappointing. The first of Karen Berger's new comics book line.
New X-Men: Academy X - The Complete Collection - Terrible, high school melodrama only suited for tween girls.
Superman: Dawnbreaker - Surprisingly good YA take on Superman. This is prose, not a comic.
B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 4 - Mike Mignola is one of my favorite creators. Using these omnibuses to go back and read these again in chronological order.
The Mask Omnibus Volume 1 - Dated but much darker and graphically violent than the movie.
Berserk Deluxe Volume 1 - A rare foray into Manga for me. I dug it.
Polar, Vol. 4: The Kaiser Falls - A homage to Sin City.
Green River Killer: A True Detective Story - Decided to check this out after hearing Mike talk about it on the show. It's disturbing how disconnected the killer is from reality.

message 31: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments I started Blackout pn ComiXology a couple days ago and I'll probably start Jenny Finn and Strange Fruit in a couple days. I also plan on getting to Birthright Vol 6 and catching up on Self Made, The Warning and Hot Lunch Special

message 32: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments Barbarella v1
Black Clover v1-7
Pluto v1-2

Tried out Barbarella out of curiosity, was a pretty wild sexy ride. Enjoyed but will not continue.
Black Clover is a great shonen. This time around, "my magic is not giving up!" :D I was hesitant to start this series due to a kinda plodding first few episodes of the anime imo, but starting the manga I got hooked immediately, possibly cause I tend to binge through dozens of chapters at a time. Its magic knights, its shonen and I'm a sucker for it!
Pluto by Urasawa totally blew me away. I am not usually drawn to mystery stories, but he has this ability to throw characters at you and making you totally understand every step. I'm gonna binge through this series and then read Monster (another Urasawa book) right after.

message 33: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments James wrote: "Barbarella v1
Black Clover v1-7
Pluto v1-2

Tried out Barbarella out of curiosity, was a pretty wild sexy ride. Enjoyed but will not continue.
Black Clover is a great shonen. This time around, "my ..."

I do really want to read Urasawa's works. I've heard alot of great things about them, especially Monster

message 34: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments James wrote: "Barbarella v1
Black Clover v1-7
Pluto v1-2

Black Clover is a great shonen. This time around, "my ..."

I watched Monster. It's excellent. I've bought most of the books, but am waiting a bit before digging in. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the series!

message 35: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments Not much for me this week because I was sick and watching anime instead:

-Attack on Titan, vols. 18 & 19 (re-read)
-Hajime no Ippo, vol 25
-Hit Girl: Season Two #3
-One Piece, vol 22
-Prodigy #5
-Tomo-chan is a Girl!, vol. 7

message 36: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments 20th Century Boys v1
Urasawa is great, this one is even more involved with lots of characters but its still fantastic. This one will likely be put on hold, as I don't like to read multiple books by the same author simultaneously. Weirdly, I am constantly juggling dozens of series I follow no problem, but always only 1 work per author.

Immortal Hulk v1
Paul finally rubbed off on me and I picked this up on a sale. Damn, Hulk is good now. I love the horror angle, and its totally transformed the character for me into something much more interesting. I hope that Cthulhu is behind the Green Door, but not holding my breath.

Cells at Work v1
Couldn't finish this volume. A very cool way to introduce someone to microbiology, something I studied in college, but the non-existent plot made it a chore to read. I hope others can enjoy it bc the concept is really awesome, just didn't have any real characters to latch on to.

Dragon Head v1
This is about a (possibly?) real event of a train crashing in Japan underground, both sides of the tunnel collapse and the children are trapped inside. This is pretty grisly stuff, I have the next couple volumes so we'll see how far I go with it.

Black Clover - all of it
Loved the series, and in my typical James fashion binged the whole damn thing in 2-3 days. Asta is probably my favorite protagonist right now. Even though he's a muscley idiot, the faces he makes crack me up, and his ridiculous "not giving up is my magic" thing is actually kinda inspiring for me, someone who struggles with depression. Now onto the next!!! (Dr Stone and Promising Neverland)

message 37: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments I'm almost done with Vol 2 of Umbrella Academy and I finished Jenny Finn yesterday. I'm also reading Secret Skull so I can read Mystery Society. On ComiXology I'm downloading the main Sons Of Anarchy comics that BOOM! did as I am almost done with the show now I will be immersing myself in the comics. And some other comics I plan to read next are Birthright Vol 6, Thief Of Thieves Vol 5, Green Valley, Death Vigil Vol 1 and Wild Blue Yonder

message 38: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic shop run:

War of the Realms 2: The heroes lose Manhattan and another long-time Thor ally dies.
Uncanny X-Men 16- a lot of changes on the team: someone quits, a new leadership style, someone joins, and a few blasts from the past
Thor 12- all Loki issue, pretty much
Tony Stark, Iron Man 10- The Controller's rampage continues and things aren't looking good for Marvel's favorite genius philanthropist playboy inventor
Xena 1- a new mini and an old foe
Ms. Marvel 2- more weirdness in Jersey City and the answer surprises Kamala
Justice League of America 22- a largely JLA-free issue as the history of the multiverse is explored
Shazam Special- the Family fights robbers, some background on Mary, and the origin of an old supporting character
Aquaman 47- the weirdness of Unspoken Waters (what does that even mean?) continues

message 39: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments Ok just started Mystery Society, pretty decent so far. I'm also two issues into Vol 6 of Birthright. I also started the first volume of the Sons Of Anarchy comic BOOM! Studios did on ComiXology, having fun with it so far (i'm also gonna read the prequel comic with Jax as a prospect so i can fill the void left by the show when i'm done with it)

message 40: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 200 comments This week and next I'll be plowing through due library books:

Attack on Titan, vols. 20-27
Black Butler, vols. 6-18

message 41: by James (new)

James Hahn | 38 comments Shaman King v2-3
Delicious is Dungeon v1
Ice Cream Man v1
I Am a Hero Omnibus 5

Shaman King is still pretty generic shonen but its enjoyable enough. Kinda weird that the main character Yoh has a wife at age like 11?
Delicious is Dungeon is a delightful read. Getting more granular and logical with how would people deal with dungeons is very interesting to me.
Ice Cream Man is very unsettling and good. It gets the psychological part of horror down, and the mystery of wtf is goin on compels me to read further.
I Am a Hero continues to blow my mind. It feels like a very authentic version of what could happen in this type of zombie situation, despite how crazy that situation may be. Lots of twists and turns, and your attachment to the characters makes it all the more harrowing.

message 42: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments James wrote: "Shaman King v2-3
Delicious is Dungeon v1
Ice Cream Man v1
I Am a Hero Omnibus 5

Shaman King is still pretty generic shonen but its enjoyable enough. Kinda weird that the main character Yoh has a w..."

I Am A Hero looks pretty fun, I just finished up Volume 6 of Birthright, while this is the weakest arc of the series in my opinion it is still a fun read, Joshua Williamson is a damn good writer. I also hope to get to the rest of the comics I plan to get to

message 43: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments This week's comic shop run:

Firefly 5- they're really capturing the feel of this well. Mal's been captured by a bounty hunter and the others need to figure out what to do.
Avengers 18- the new and seemingly evil Phl Coulson leads yet another version of the Squadron Supreme as the War of the Realms threatens.
Terrifics 15- a new monster attack at Stagg, and Mr. Terrific goes on a date.
IronHeart 5- Riri fights to save kids and overcome Midnight's Fire (am I the only one remembering he used to be a good guy?)
War of the Realms X-Men Special 1- the mutants are drawn to Manhattan by the tie one of them has to matters Asgardian. Things aren't looking great for Midgard.

and...

Heroes in Crisis 8- loathed it. I really don't like how DC has been treating the Titans since the reboot, and this was... irksome at best. The secret behind the deaths is revealed, and Titans' fans won't be happy.

message 44: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 210 comments Mod
I have been so bad about reading comics (or anything for that matter, lately) - the joys of grad school! Since the Eisner nominations came out, I'm gonna try, per usual, to read as many of the nominated titles I haven't read yet as possible...we'll see how successful that is! :P

I've read Betty & Veronica: Vixens Vol. 1 for the comic book book club I'm in - at first I wasn't very into it but I was sold by the end! So cute, and fun to see Betty and Veronica being badasses!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.