Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > April Non-Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1948 comments Mod
Decided to listen to something other than romance? Share with us what's on your plate this month.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4017 comments Mod
I finished listening to City of Glass by Cassandra Clare, The Mortal Instruments #3, and loved it! Here’s my review.

I’m listening to I Know You Know by Gilly Macmillan.
City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare I Know You Know by Gilly Macmillan

message 3: by Samantha (new)

I have started An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir

message 4: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 647 comments Samantha wrote: "I have started An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAn Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir"

I liked An Ember in the Ashes, I need to get back to the series. Enjoy!

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Thanks KathyB.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i'm finishing up The Anatomist's Apprentice - underwhelming for me (its been on Mt TBL for a while)

next up is Patient H.M.: A Story of Memory, Madness, and Family Secrets - as well as a romance

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Dee wrote: "i'm finishing up The Anatomist's Apprentice - underwhelming for me (its been on Mt TBL for a while)

next up is [book:Patient H.M.: A Story of Memory, Madness, and Family Secrets|26..."

The Patient H.M. story sounds interesting.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i hope so -i heard it mentioned in another non-fiction i listened to last month

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to I Know You Know by Gilly Macmillan and enjoyed this story told by extremely unreliable narrators. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.
I Know You Know by Gilly Macmillan Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens and was blown away by the beauty and substance of this story. It’s impossible to believe this is a debut novel. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams.
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams

message 11: by Samantha (new)

KathyB wrote: "Samantha wrote: "I have started An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAn Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir"

I liked An Ember in the Ashes, I ne..."

KathyB, this book was so good. I loved the narrators and the world. I'm intrigued. I will be starting book 2 soon.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Samantha wrote: "I'm starting The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert GalbraithThe Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith"

Oh, how I love that series!

message 14: by Samantha (last edited Apr 09, 2019 07:45AM) (new)

It is starting off good so I am hopeful.

message 15: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 647 comments Samantha wrote: "KathyB wrote: "Samantha wrote: "I have started An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAn Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir"

I liked [book:An Ember in the Ashes|..."

The narration was great! I was kind of stressed listening since it's not my normal romance reading with a guaranteed HEA. I'm glad you posted it here, I definitely need to pick up the next book in the series.

message 16: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 647 comments Jonetta wrote: "I finished listening to Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens and was blown away by the beauty and substance of this story. It’s impossible to believe this is a de..."

Great review Jonetta! I loved Where the Crawdads Sing too, it was fantastic.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

KathyB wrote: "Samantha wrote: "KathyB wrote: "Samantha wrote: "I have started An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAn Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir"

I liked [book:An Em..."

Kathy, I can totally understand. I tend to like a HEA. some romance...well this did have romance. What stressed me and at the same time showed how much I loved this story is that I didn't care about the potential (view spoiler). That is a pet peeve of mine and it can pull me out of a story fast.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

KathyB wrote: "Great review Jonetta! I loved Where the Crawdads Sing too, it was fantastic...."

Thank you, Kathy! I loved it.

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Samantha wrote: "I'm starting The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert GalbraithThe Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith"

Oh, how I love that series!"

Jonetta, there is/was a BBC show called Strike based off this. Did you ever watch it?

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

It wasn’t immediately available here. I’ve been trying to watch.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Oh I didn't check yet. I have to look into it because I am digging this story.

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyvioletke) | 317 comments Samantha wrote: "Oh I didn't check yet. I have to look into it because I am digging this story."

It's my understanding it airs on Cinemax now as "C.B. Strike."

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Thanks Kelly!

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

That was it! I don’t get Cinemax.

message 25: by Samantha (new)

I finished The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith and the first part was good. Somewhere in the middle the mystery dragged for me. I did like how it tied itself together. I'm willing to listen to book 2 just to make sure it is for me.

I'm starting Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2) by Cassandra Clare

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams and here’s my review.

I’m listening to Run Away by Harlan Coben.
The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams Run Away by Harlan Coben

message 27: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 647 comments I'm listening to Wild Country Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7) by Anne Bishop by Anne Bishop.

** Available with Scribd subscription

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Run Away by Harlan Coben and couldn’t put it down. Here’s my review.
Run Away by Harlan Coben

message 29: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 19, 2019 09:39AM) (new)

I finished listening to Looker by Laura Sims, a deeply disturbing look into the mind of a woman mentally derailing after her failed attempts to start a family. Here’s my review.
Looker by Laura Sims

message 30: by Samantha (new)

I put down Lord of Shadows. I think my mind shifted for a bit and I went straight down A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2) by Sabaa Tahir

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments I just finished The Girl They Left Behind by Roxanne Veletzos
I loved this book and recommend it highly. It is a different take on WWII historical fiction leading into the fall of the Iron Curtain in Romania.

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Dawn wrote: "I just finished The Girl They Left Behind by Roxanne Veletzos
I loved this book and recommend it highly. It is a different take on WWII historical fiction leading into the fall of the Iron Curtain..."

Great to know, Dawn! I’m on hold for this at my library.

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Dawn wrote: "I just finished The Girl They Left Behind by Roxanne Veletzos
I loved this book and recommend it highly. It is a different take on WWII historical fiction leading into the fall of the Iron Curtain..."

Oh sounds good. I have to see if my library has it.

message 34: by L J (new)

L J | 349 comments Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1) by Juliet Blackwell Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell is not quite the fun cozy mystery I expected. The pig on the cover of most of the books is a shapeshifting familiar that is not my idea of a comfortable companion. Instead of a weeping ghost La Llorona is a child snatching demon. Freeze dried bat, Lily Ivory's blood and other less than wholesome things are in brew she stirs up to make a protective spell. She is not sure how much of what she believes and practices is superstition but what she is sure of is that she is a very powerful witch. This stays on my cozy mystery list but I prefer Ilona Andrews' Atlanta to Blackwell's San Francisco.
Xe Sands narration reminded me of voice used onstage for asides that the audience is supposed to hear but not the other characters. It was appropriate but I had to turn up volume more than usual to avoid missing words when there were normal household noises.

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices #1, and absolutely loved it! I highly recommend the audio version as the narrator was perfect. Here’s my review.
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.