Taste of Romance discussion

162 views
Author Q&A > Kylie Scott Q&A (April 2019)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Post any/all questions on this string! Questions can be book specific or general writing related. Respectful personal questions are also welcomed. Answers will be posted on Saturday/Sunday April 20th & 21st due to me being in Australia and dealing with times zones etc. Everyone who posts a question will automatically be entered into a giveaway for winner's choice of a signed paperback. Winner randomly picked by my assistant on April 22nd. Ask away!


message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire | 2 comments Hi Kylie!
With the exception of Repeat, I have read all of your books. You are an exceptional writer, and I think you are especially talented at writing clever, poignant dialogue. Do you have a process or method that you use to develop dialogue?
Have you written and published a story, and then later wished you had created a different ending, twist, etc.? What gave you the confidence to put your writing out there for all the world to read? I think it takes a lot of courage, and am so glad that you did!
Thanks, Claire


message 3: by Jess☺️ (new)

Jess☺️ hello Kylie your a new author to me so thanks for the free book it's a great taster but I'm look forward to reading your stage Dive series,
how did you get in to writing about rock stars and how do you do your research into finding your next sexy alpha male??


message 4: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) | 1 comments Hi Kylie. I've read many (most, I think) of your books. I've really enjoyed them (Lick was my favorite).

I was wondering if you were ever going to get back to the Zombie series (Flesh Skin? I thought there were supposed to be another couple of books, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore?


Teresa's Tantalizing Book Teasers (energeticteresa) | 1 comments Hi Kylie,
I'm a small-town girl from Ohio who started reading your Stage Dive Series years ago because I loved the cover art on the shelves of my local Target store. Once I read "Lick", I became an instant groupie!
The series is still a favorite of mine to re-read.
When writing, how do you maintain focus on your main characters, especially knowing there are so many intriguing back characters?
Do you use different pages to make notes on regarding each character?
Thank you for the opportunity, and for your amazing talent. Take care.


message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 22 comments Hi Kylie! I love your Stage Dive books. I was wondering if you’ll ever “add on” or maybe write a story of when they have kids especially David in Lick?


message 7: by Bena (new)

Bena Fab | 2 comments Hy Kylie. I was following one of your serial stories on Wattpad and was really enjoying it. Do you plan to develop that story further?


NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books} (nicoletae) | 21 comments Hello Kylie!
I've finished this morning the book and I really enjoyed very much! Thank you for sharing it with us!
I have read many books of yours(not all of them) and thus week was your week since before this one, I've read "Repeat" and I freakin' loved it! Even though I loved very much the stage dive series and trust, I think repeat us your best work!
What are your plans for your next releases?
Thanks again and keep up the good work! 💕💕💕💕


message 9: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. (amber-ella) | 6 comments Hi Kylie!!

I love all of your books and I am excited to read this one. Thank you for giving it to us!!!!

Stage Dive was sooooo good, I couldn't put the books down. I thoroughly enjoyed Flesh as well. My question is which genre do you prefer writing...paranormal/post-apocalyptic or more contemporary romance? Do you have a preference of character types for your MC's?

thanks again for your generosity!!!!


message 10: by Eva A. (new)

Eva A. Hi, I was wondering what is your favorite trope to write and which one to read about?


message 11: by ChristineLF (new)

ChristineLF | 8 comments This was my first book of yours I have read. Thank you for sharing this book with us. It hit on many different emotions. I laughed and cried and then blushed a bunch as well. What do you recommend I read next ? What inspired you to write this book?


message 12: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Claire wrote: "Hi Kylie!
With the exception of Repeat, I have read all of your books. You are an exceptional writer, and I think you are especially talented at writing clever, poignant dialogue. Do you have a pr..."


Hi Claire, thank you very much! Basically my imaginary friends have conversation in my head. That's the honest answer when it comes to dialogue. With putting my work out there, I wanted it really really badly. It sucked at first, learning how to deal with the criticism. Sometimes it still sucks. But your skin does get thicker and you learn to use what's useful and pass on the rest. It's funny with earlier books, there's inevitably things I'd alter now if I was writing them. Because you grow and mature, learn and change as a person and that trickles into everything you do as you go through life, I guess. So yeah, definitely I'd mix things up. But it's also kind of nice to have markers of where my writing was back then to see how I've progressed. Best, Kylie


message 13: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Jess☺️ wrote: "hello Kylie your a new author to me so thanks for the free book it's a great taster but I'm look forward to reading your stage Dive series,
how did you get in to writing about rock stars and how do..."


Hi Jess! Glad you enjoyed it! The Stage Dive series was a lot of fun. I've always been a junkie when it comes to listening to the radio or watching music videos. I love reading and watching documentaries about rock bands and albums etc. I also play some guitar and know a few musicians so writing about that world was a great chance for me to use all of that knowledge I'd sucked up over the years. As for how I find my next hero, I waste a lot of hours staring at male models and I do not regret it. Best, Kylie


message 14: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
HJ wrote: "Hi Kylie. I've read many (most, I think) of your books. I've really enjoyed them (Lick was my favorite).

I was wondering if you were ever going to get back to the Zombie series ([book:Flesh|38198..."


Hi HJ, thank you very much! I don't have any plans to go back to the zombie books right now. But maybe probably one day I'll finish up that series. It's sitting in the back of my mind waiting for the right stories to come to me. But my apologies, I'm aware I left all of the readers of that series hanging. Hopefully the muse will cough up something for me to write in that world soon. Best, Kylie


message 15: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Teresa's Tantalizing wrote: "Hi Kylie,
I'm a small-town girl from Ohio who started reading your Stage Dive Series years ago because I loved the cover art on the shelves of my local Target store. Once I read "Lick", I became a..."


Hi Teresa, awesome to hear you enjoyed The Stage Dive series! Mostly I use secondary characters to feed into the main story I'm telling. To flesh out the main characters and their world, their lives. So I try not to let them take over too much. But at the same time, you want interesting people with backstories that draw you in. So it's a delicate balance. I use a notebook and usually have a doc on the computer for notes about characters. But I'm not very organised generally in how the information is stored. So much of it comes up randomly in my mind as you work that it can be hard to keep track of it all. Best, Kylie


message 16: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Brenda wrote: "Hi Kylie! I love your Stage Dive books. I was wondering if you’ll ever “add on” or maybe write a story of when they have kids especially David in Lick?"

Hi Brenda, and thank you! Glad you enjoyed them. I don't know. Honestly, that wouldn't be a book for me because there's no real character growth or arc similar to what I usually write. I'm not going to break up any of those character's relationships, so there's nothing there for me to build a book on if that makes sense. Though I've noticed the trend for people to write books about their characters now grown children and that could be interesting. No definite plans at this stage, but maybe. Best, Kylie


message 17: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Bena wrote: "Hy Kylie. I was following one of your serial stories on Wattpad and was really enjoying it. Do you plan to develop that story further?"

Hi Bena, do you mean "Charmer"? That was a writing exercise I was doing and I kind of wound up writing myself into a corner. No plans to develop it out at this stage. But you never know what might happen in the future. Best, Kylie


message 18: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
NiCoLeTa E. wrote: "Hello Kylie!
I've finished this morning the book and I really enjoyed very much! Thank you for sharing it with us!
I have read many books of yours(not all of them) and thus week was your week sinc..."


Hi Nicoleta, awesome to hear you enjoyed "Repeat"! I really loved working on that book. Next up is a thriller type book with a heroine whose fiance is not who she thought he was. Hopefully I'll have that book out mid-year for you. Best, Kylie


message 19: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Amber J. wrote: "Hi Kylie!!

I love all of your books and I am excited to read this one. Thank you for giving it to us!!!!

Stage Dive was sooooo good, I couldn't put the books down. I thoroughly enjoyed Flesh as..."


Hi Amber! So glad you enjoyed the books! I think I mostly enjoy writing contemporary romance these days. But it could change back to paranormal/apocalyptic one day. You never know which way your muse will jump next. I'm including more suspense/thriller elements these days which is fun. And I love writing fish out of water heroines. Just throwing them into crazy situations and seeing if they sink or swim. Best, Kylie


message 20: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Eva wrote: "Hi, I was wondering what is your favorite trope to write and which one to read about?"

Hi Eva, hmm...good question. I'm really enjoying writing contemporary romance these days. But I tend to move around with my reading. I just went through a fantasy phase, followed by action, with a bit of horror thrown in for fun. And in between all of that, I keep returning to contemporary romances. I guess it keeps things interesting lol? Thanks, Kylie


message 21: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "This was my first book of yours I have read. Thank you for sharing this book with us. It hit on many different emotions. I laughed and cried and then blushed a bunch as well. What do you recommend ..."

Hi Christine, thank you so much! Awesome to hear you enjoyed it. It's a story idea that's been in the back of my head for years, sitting there not quite developed. I guess it was finally the right time to get it out. I seem to start with an idea for an opening scene and just go from there. But it can take a while for my brain to come up with enough of the rest of the story for me to work on. Thanks, Kylie


message 22: by Maria (new)

Maria DeSouza | 3 comments Hi Kylie...I have read your stage dive series and looking forward to reading more books by you. My question for you is what music do you like to listen to when you writing? Do you stick to playlists or is it random depending on what you writing at the moment?

Thank you!


message 23: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Maria wrote: "Hi Kylie...I have read your stage dive series and looking forward to reading more books by you. My question for you is what music do you like to listen to when you writing? Do you stick to playlist..."

Hi Maria, I usually make playlists for each book on Spotify. Music that I feel has the same energy as the story I'm trying to tell, or fits certain scenes and characters. It's another fun way to figure out exactly who my characters are and what they want. I don't always listen to the playlists when I write, depends how my concentration levels are going that day. Best, Kylie


message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria DeSouza | 3 comments Kylie wrote: "Maria wrote: "Hi Kylie...I have read your stage dive series and looking forward to reading more books by you. My question for you is what music do you like to listen to when you writing? Do you sti..."

Thank you!!!


message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Campbell (jamie_rc1977) | 14 comments Hello Kylie thank so much for your free book


message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments Hi Kylie!
Long time reader. I go back and read SD often to reset my brain after an emotional read or the occasion crap book. I love all the guys but Mal is my jam! Like you've never heard that before! Lol

I'm realllllyyyy looking forward to seeing you at Book Bonanza! I hope you're a hugger!?! I need to give you a squeeze!

I love your brain!


message 27: by Monique (new)

Monique V | 32 comments I have enjoyed so many of your works. I love your sense of humor and the way you write romance is so entertaining. My question is if you could venture into any genre besides romance which genre would you venture into?


message 28: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Jamie wrote: "Hello Kylie thank so much for your free book"

You're very welcome, Jamie!


message 29: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Hi Kylie!
Long time reader. I go back and read SD often to reset my brain after an emotional read or the occasion crap book. I love all the guys but Mal is my jam! Like you've never heard that bef..."


Hi Lisa, thank you very much! And I am a hugger for readers. See you at Book Bonanza! Best, Kylie


message 30: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Monique wrote: "I have enjoyed so many of your works. I love your sense of humor and the way you write romance is so entertaining. My question is if you could venture into any genre besides romance which genre wou..."

Hey Monique, thank you! Glad you enjoy the books. Hmm, thrillers maybe? I'm not sure. Horror could be fun too.


message 31: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Scott (kyliescott) | 38 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Hi Kylie!
Long time reader. I go back and read SD often to reset my brain after an emotional read or the occasion crap book. I love all the guys but Mal is my jam! Like you've never heard that bef..."


Lisa, you're our winner. Please email me your postal address and details of which competition you won to info@kyliescott.com


message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane Yoz | 11 comments Kylie!! I have loved your books forever, I know the q&a should be about It seems.... but I have always loved Mal. he's one of my all time favorite character not too many have come close. He's just one of a kind!!! I wanted to know which one of your characters is your favorite?


message 33: by Amberb03 (new)

Amberb03 | 41 comments Hi Kylie. Thanks so much for the free book. I really want to write my own romance one of these days. I have some ideas. So my question to you is where do you get your inspiration from and any advice for me?♥️


back to top