Classic Trash discussion

Downward to the Earth
This topic is about Downward to the Earth
Downward to the Earth > Downward to the Earth: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 995 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please.

Cheryl | 886 comments This is in transit from another library, so hopefully I will get it in a week or two. I used to really be into Silverberg's fiction in my teens and twenties, so it'll be interesting to see if his writing has aged well and if my opinion of his writing has changed.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 342 comments I know what you mean - I often feel like, in rereading books from my teens, I’m reading them for the first time.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 342 comments This is like Apocalypse Now if it had been written by Kilgore Trout...

Sarah wrote: "This is like Apocalypse Now if it had been written by Kilgore Trout..."

Well, that sounds amazing.

message 6: by Junichi (new)

Junichi | 13 comments I bought kindlebook today. This is my first SF book in English.
By the way, I will go to San Francisco at end of April.

Cheryl | 886 comments Junichi wrote: "I bought kindlebook today. This is my first SF book in English.
By the way, I will go to San Francisco at end of April."

I hope you enjoy the book!

I am about half way through and LOVING it. I like my SF all intellectual and stuff.

Cheryl | 886 comments I'm jealous! I hope my book comes in soon.

message 10: by Cate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cate | 12 comments Just got my library copy. Finished "The Martian" and "Station Eleven" in the last couple of weeks, so I'm definitely in a scifi/end of the world as we know it groove.
I love that this group recommends books I wouldn't encounter on my own.

Cheryl | 886 comments Cate,

I know what you mean. I've read some interesting books that way.

message 12: by Cate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cate | 12 comments So far, I'm really enjoying the book - which is Catespeak for "I've got my nose stuck in the pages every waking minute that I'm not working." I appreciate the way Silverberg is mirroring Heart of Darkness and I'm wondering just how badly this will end for Edmund Gunderson of first life!

Cheryl | 886 comments I'm still waiting for my book to come in. It is still in transit. Of course, every other book I had requested from interlibrary loan came in except this one. Thursday is one of the courier delivery days at my library, so fingers crossed that it comes in tomorrow.

message 14: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 16, 2019 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl | 886 comments Hooray! I finally got my book! I'm just starting chpt. 6 now. I like that the aliens on this world are truly alien, and not just a slightly different type of humanoid being. I wonder how I'd react, though, at first seeing them. Would I immediately think they were just animals, and not 2 sentient species? And I also wondered what the criteria should be in colonizing a planet and not trying to take it away from the species that already live there. Alot to think about in this book.

That's what I had liked about Robert Silverberg's writing. It usually can be categorized as "Social Science Fiction" - looking at people, culture, society and morals in a futurisitc setting.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Junichi wrote: "I bought kindlebook today. This is my first SF book in English.
By the way, I will go to San Francisco at end of April."

I'm not sure if I'd want this to be my first SF book.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I really enjoyed this book and I totally get the comparisons to Heart of Darkness. This was also my first Siverberg book. Personally I prefered Conrad. But, maybe Silverberg takes some getting used to. But I loved all the concepts and the different alien life forms.