Science Fiction & Fantasy Award Winning Book Group discussion

Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Blue Mars
Group Book Discussion > Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (April 2019)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe (finalblowjoe) | 264 comments Mod
Blue Mars is the third and final book in Robinson's Mars trilogy. This third book is just as acclaimed and awarded as the other two books; winning the Hugo and Locus awards.

Commenting on anything related to the third in a trilogy is always risky so I'll just say it has some interesting viewpoints and ideas.

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 340 comments Mod
Feeling a bit of a grind going into this last volume. It's weird because I loved this trilogy a lot as a teenager and I re-read it with love multiple times, but this time round I've found it's dragged in places. Have I lost my attention span as an adult (too much social media!) or am I just a more discerning reader?

message 3: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon | 346 comments Mod
Starting this tonight. Wish me luck!

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 340 comments Mod
Good luck!

message 5: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've caught up on rereading Red and Green Mars so am finally up to date and will start Blue Mars within the next day or two.

message 6: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon | 346 comments Mod
Nick wrote: Good luck!

Thanks!

Parts 1 & 2

Part 1 is about Ann and Part 2 features Sax. As in previous sections, both Ann and Sax go on walkabouts. I still don't like Ann, while Sax is one of my favorites. One hundred pages in and the story doesn't seem to have progressed at all. Hopefully something happens soon.

message 7: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Part 1 and 2.

I find these two chapters an interesting pair as they both focus on Ann and Sax in a similar way but with different outcomes. With Ann I found it to be reinforcing opinion and with Sax it's more discovery as he's drastically different from how we first read about him in Red Mars.

I both like and dislike both characters throughout the books as they're polar opposites with opinion but the same with strength of character. It always seems to be how it's applied if that makes sense.

message 8: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon | 346 comments Mod
That's an interesting comparison Joe. Ann really hasn't changed at all while Sax has gone through a metamorphosis of sorts. They basically talked past each other before but now Sax is trying to understand her point of view more than he did before.

Parts 3 & 4

Part 3 is basically Nadia and Art working with other groups to put together a constitution for Mars.

Part 4 is mostly about Nirgal and how he fares when he travels to Earth.

I have to admit that I'm really struggling with this book. I've dropped it three times because I fell asleep while reading it. I'm two hundred pages in and it doesn't seem like the story has progressed at all. I realize that people love this book and this trilogy, but it's really not working out for me. I'll push on for another 100 pages and see if it changes for me.

message 9: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Part 3.

This harks back to the big constitution chapters in Green Mars just with a smaller focus and less voices although somehow managing to be harder to read. I think it may be due to previously in Green Mars you knew this was approaching slowly in the distance and was such a global event it was easier to take in. This section is smaller and maybe less interesting, or exciting, due to it. It's hard to say.

Part 4.

I remember this section from the first time I read it and, like the, am still not a fan of this section. I suppose going to Earth was inevitable at some point but it still feels off somehow due to the focus being so always on Mars of course. It is a shorter section which alleviates it rather but still not the easiest to take in.

Jon, if it's not working out for you then don't force it too much. You've given it a good chance and ultimately we're all reading this for enjoyment.

message 10: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Part 5

Focusing on Michel here which makes for a fairly uninteresting section for me as his character and presence in the story I find less than useful, let's say.

Part 6

Ann again in a similar situation to the first few chapters; exploring and just wandering around on Mars. Unlike the previous Michel section this has a point and feels far more interesting and involved in the greater story.

message 11: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Part 7.

Nadia moving into a new area and working with different people is interesting as I always find her to be one of the most interesting characters.

Part 8.

Nirgal again. Feels fairly unimportant overall, really not much to say.

message 12: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon | 346 comments Mod
I'm taking a break from this one. About halfway through so I don't want to DNF it but we'll see. I'll pick it up again at the end of this month and see if I can power through the rest of it.

Is it just me or does this book (series) lack a plot? The overall aim of the trilogy seems to be the terraforming of Mars but the characters just appear to be meandering through the books.

message 13: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon, I considered that whilst reading the trilogy the first time and it's accurate to a certain point I find as it has no focused driving force for the characters to overcome but rather the evolution of a world and society. It's so broad it's hard to see I think.

Science Fiction & Fantasy Award Winning Book Group

unread topics | mark unread