Goodreads Ireland discussion

Monthly Group Read Nominations > April 2019 Monthly Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bookworm with Kids (last edited Mar 31, 2019 02:59PM) (new)

Bookworm with Kids | 566 comments Mod
Back at last! I propose that the nominations for the April Read (as April is just about to start) is that the book be a short book - say 200 pages or less in its listing on Goodreads. As we are nominating a Quarterly Irish Read this month as well, the books should not be by an Irish author or with an overall Irish theme.
Please ensure the book is currently in commercial print and available widely to ensure all members can participate.

Please remember:
1. People may only nominate one book.
2. All nominations must be seconded.
3. You can nominate a book or second a book not both.
4. If the book you nominate wins, you must lead the discussion.
5. Authors may not self nominate.

The nominations will remain open until midnight GMT on Saturday 6th of April 2019 .
That is:
4pm Saturday 6th April in L.A.
7pm Saturday 6th April Eastern Time (USA)
11 am Sunday 7th April in Sydney.

Happy Nominating!

I will open the nominations by proposing Fire in the Blood by Irène Némirovsky. It is listed on Goodreads as having 137 pages.

message 3: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments Thanks!
College exams coming up so I won't have much time for extraneous reading. Enjoy.

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I will nominate Nutshell. The American edition is listed at 208 but the UK is at 199. I hope that isn't a problem . It looks like a fast read.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I'll second Colleen's nomination.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 4 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Back at last! I propose that the nominations for the April Read (as April is just about to start) is that the book be a short book - say 200 pages or less in its listing on Goodreads. As we are nom..."

Welcome back and Mahalo!

🐾🇺🇸

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 4 comments Clare wrote: "Thanks!
College exams coming up so I won't have much time for extraneous reading. Enjoy."

Good Luck!🇺🇸🐾

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 4 comments I also vote for Nutshell by Ian McEwan

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Back at last! I propose that the nominations for the April Read (as April is just about to start) is that the book be a short book - say 200 pages or less in its listing ..."

Thanks!!

Colleen wrote: "I will nominate Nutshell. The American edition is listed at 208 but the UK is at 199. I hope that isn't a problem . It looks like a fast read."

I think that's fine, Colleen. The 200 pages was just a guideline - a couple of pages either side is fine.

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Thanks Bookworm!

message 12: by Charlene Quinzel (new)

Charlene Quinzel (charquinzel) | 1 comments Hi! I'm new to the group... I nominate Sadie by Courtney Summers. It's a YA thriller and suits the Goodreads theme this month :)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Sadie by Courtney Summers - Goodreads
https://goo.gl/search/Sadie
Sadie, Book by Courtney Summers

Charlene, I think the book you nominated is a bit long for the theme given above for this month. It is listed as 308 pages on Goodreads. But we don't have a lot of nominated and seconded books so I will put it to the members to decide if it is allowed.
Members - what do you think of 308 pages - short book or too long for our theme this month?

Do we have any more nominations for this month? Or anyone to second a nominated book?
So far, Colleen''s nomination of Nutshell is the only seconded book.

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil I will second fire in the blood by Irene nemirovsky.

I read both before and didn't like nutshell at all.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I think 300 pages is too long when the criteria says 200 pages or less.

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Phil wrote: "I will second fire in the blood by Irene nemirovsky.

I read both before and didn't like nutshell at all."

Everyone has different taste .... I have both on TBR.

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil Colleen wrote: "

Everyone has different taste ....."

I am aware of that and was expressing my own opinion.

Anyway having a vote on it is nice and that is really the main reason i seconded fire in the blood

message 19: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I totally agree that it’s nice to have a choice . I have both on my TBR I really want to read both .

Phil wrote: "I will second fire in the blood by Irene nemirovsky.

I read both before and didn't like nutshell at all."

Thanks for that, Phil