Stephen King Fans discussion

Different Seasons
This topic is about Different Seasons
2nd Round of King Books > Different Seasons Book 15

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2543 comments Mod
Discuss Different Seasons here. Please mark all spoilers for those reading along.

Wally Flangers They are making a film adaptation for The Breathing Method.... It's suppose to be completed by next year. I can't really see it becoming a hit in the cinema's, given the story itself isn't exactly mind boggling, but we shall see..... Hopefully, the director makes it his own and doesn't follow the novella.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments So excited about this one! Shawshank and The Body are two of my absolute favorites from King. I think I'll spend some time with Frank Muller and listen on audio. :)

Thomas Blanks | 6 comments By far King's best collection of novellas just for Shawshank and The Body. These were two stories that translated well into movies with very few changes. I did not like “Apt Pupil.”

Nancy (paper_addict) | 913 comments I haven’t read this years so I am looking forward to this one,

Femmy | 195 comments I'm starting the book today.

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments I'm into this. I bought the audiobook of the whole collection though I already owned individual copies of Shawshank and The Body. (Very little difference in price between the whole collection and an individual novella.) In any case, I wanted to start at Apt Pupil but found that the first story was Rita Heyworth. So I listened for a few minutes and just got hooked. I'm very impressed. I've listened to this maybe four times already and read it a couple of times more, but now after a few years, I'm struck with the storytelling and all the details about prison life. This has to be one of King's very best works.

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Also, I like the fact that King wrote this as one of the characters. I don't think he does that very much, does he?

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael T Roch | 365 comments Nick wrote: "Also, I like the fact that King wrote this as one of the characters. I don't think he does that very much, does he?"

Just off the top of my head, the only others I can think of are "The Body," Christine, Dolores Claiborne, and Bag of Bones.

And Revival.

Oh, and Joyland.

So, no, considering over fifty novels, this handful ain't much.

message 10: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Michael wrote: "Nick wrote: "Also, I like the fact that King wrote this as one of the characters. I don't think he does that very much, does he?"

Just off the top of my head, the only others I can think of are "T..."

Wow, that's more than I remembered. And I like all of those.

Femmy | 195 comments As I'm reading, I can hear Morgan Freeman narrating the story to me :-)

message 12: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Femmy wrote: "As I'm reading, I can hear Morgan Freeman narrating the story to me :-)"

It's hard to get over that voice even though it's been so many years since I saw the film. I really want to compare the film and the novella. The DVD is cued up and ready to go as soon as all this Basketball ends.

Femmy | 195 comments Yeah, I'm thinking about re-watching the movie too on Netflix after I finish reading it.

Kandice | 3941 comments My very favorite thing about The Shawshank Redemption movie is how perfect the casting is, but also, at the same time, how different from what King wrote. I always point to this movie when people gripe about a film adaptation ruining a book.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments Kandice wrote: "My very favorite thing about The Shawshank Redemption movie is how perfect the casting is, but also, at the same time, how different from what King wrote..."

Spot on!

message 16: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Here's a creative writing assignment: write a soliloquy about what it's like to be a Nazi death camp commandant years after WWII is over. Include your thoughts about being hunted and any regrets and excuses you might have about your role in the slaughter. The fact that King includes one in Apt Pupil shows just how creative he is and how he is able to challenge himself to see into the soul of even the most difficult people.

message 17: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Apt Pupil: Can I say just how disturbing this book is. I was in a hospital emergency room waiting room while a friend had minor surgery. I was listening to the book on my headset, then accidentally pushed the wrong button and treated the whole room to a few paragraphs of the story before I realized what I had done. Luckily for me, we just missed the kid's dream about being a torturer for the Third Reich. The story is amazing but bleak. a real contrast to Shawshank. Absolutely evil horror for those who like it.

Femmy | 195 comments I just finished "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption". What an amazing story. And, knowing how it would end made all the hints and foreshadowing a delight. The bits when Andy's cellmate talked about a big draft and when Andy said that posters symbolized freedom, feeling like you can go into them were just delicious.

message 19: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Femmy wrote: "I just finished "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption". What an amazing story. And, knowing how it would end made all the hints and foreshadowing a delight. The bits when Andy's cellmate talked a..."

I agree, Femmy. A story about HOPE. I still need to look at the movie and compare the two at close range.

Scott | 107 comments Hi Fellow King readers,

I have completed my read of "Different Seasons" and have posted my review at the following link if anyone is interested in reading it:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Overall, I loved two of them, liked one, and thought one could have been better. Still, I love my Uncle Stevie and am enjoying the re-read a whole lot.

Thanks, Scott.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments What do y'all think of The Breathing Method? That's always been my least favorite and the one I hardly remember. Did anyone particularly enjoy it?

Kandice | 3941 comments Summer wrote: "What do y'all think of The Breathing Method? That's always been my least favorite and the one I hardly remember. Did anyone particularly enjoy it?"

It's my least favorite as well. I love the frame, The Club, and would love to see more stories in that setting, but the story itself? Not so much.

message 23: by Nick (last edited Apr 15, 2019 10:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Just finished Apt Pupil.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men and women? Stephen King sure does, and this tense novella shows us and helps us understand it. Todd is just such a nice kid... only fourteen, and yet somehow he's so fascinated by Nazi death camps that he's able to focus on the operation of the camps and not their output (except to acknowledge that six million is a hell of a number). This is a brutal study and indictment of how complacent we Americans became in our safe little post-war cocoons that we could rationalize anything. By giving us so much character, and inner monologue, King forces us to face up to the evil that must exist in all of our natures. It's something we really need to think about. But boy it's no fun.

message 24: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Tandy | 193 comments Nick wrote: "Just finished Apt Pupil.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men and women? Stephen King sure does, and this tense novella shows us and helps us understand it. Todd is just such a nice kid..."

I forgot how brilliant and horiffic Apt Pupil is. Excellent analysis of the novella, Nick.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments Brad Renfro was in the movie adaptation, wasn't he? We really did him and Edward Furlong dirty back then.

message 26: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin  | 82 comments I had the BIGGEST crush on Brad Renfro when I was a kid.

message 27: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Tandy | 193 comments Different Seasons was such a brilliant book. I love every novella, but this time around really got into The Breathing Method (sort of the forgotten story in this collection). My review is lengthy, but I think it's one of my better ones.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Melissa S (readingodysseysknbeyond) | 1 comments Summer wrote: "What do y'all think of The Breathing Method? That's always been my least favorite and the one I hardly remember. Did anyone particularly enjoy it?"

Kandice wrote: "Summer wrote: "What do y'all think of The Breathing Method? That's always been my least favorite and the one I hardly remember. Did anyone particularly enjoy it?"

It's my least favorite as well. I..."

Regarding the frame, there is at least one other SK story written within the frame of the same club - "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" from Skeleton Crew. Paul Giamatti reads it in the audiobook. It's a dark little story.

message 29: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Tandy | 193 comments Melissa wrote: "Summer wrote: "What do y'all think of The Breathing Method? That's always been my least favorite and the one I hardly remember. Did anyone particularly enjoy it?"

Kandice wrote: "Summer wrote: "Wh..."

I’ve completely forgotten about that story 😕. I’m really looking forward to our read of Skeleton Crew to revisit it.

message 30: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Matt wrote: "Different Seasons was such a brilliant book. I love every novella, but this time around really got into The Breathing Method (sort of the forgotten story in this collection). My review is lengthy, ..."

Love your review, Matt. I was fascinated by The Breathing Method this time too. Setting aside the cub for a moment, the story seems to me to be the antithesis of Apt Pupil, same kind of tragic events and ending, but with nice (in fact wonderful) people. As usual, I fell in love with the damsel in distress, and like the doctor, I had to admire her strength and resolve. The doc himself though is a real hero and in the end, the story (within a story) has an almost happy ending. Now about the club...

message 31: by Nick (last edited Apr 18, 2019 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Nick wrote: "Matt wrote: "Different Seasons was such a brilliant book. I love every novella, but this time around really got into The Breathing Method (sort of the forgotten story in this collection). My review..."

I'm not sure how well worked out King's ideas were about the gateways between parallel universes at this point in his evolution, but I thought he might have actually developed some of those ideas while writing this. The club sure seems to be situated right at that kind of juncture. Yes, it is a scary place, though the narrator of our tale is pretty melodramatic about it (a la Poe and Lovecraft). But in a way, it's also a safe haven. I want to find that short story Matt recommends and re-read it.

message 32: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments I skipped The Body as I was going through this book and now I've gone back to it. I've always enjoyed this read and I have to say the story holds up well. I'm also interested in that short story within a novella STUD CITY. It made me think of those really good singers who for some reason are required to sing off key for a skit on SNL or something, and they just can't do it. And then there are those who can do it with ease. They are so great they are even capable of being bad. King gives us a potboiler here, and it's almost funny. ("Love may be divine as the poets say, but sex is Bozo the Clown bouncing around on a spring." or "He presses his hand to his chest looking for a moment like a stage Roman about to orate. His hand is cold. He drops it to his side.") Really good "bad writing," showing just what a master or everything even bad writing, Mr. King can be when he wants to.

message 33: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Tandy | 193 comments Nick wrote: "I skipped The Body as I was going through this book and now I've gone back to it. I've always enjoyed this read and I have to say the story holds up well. I'm also interested in that short story wi..."

Stud City was actually published in Ubris in the fall of 1969. Not sure if SK made any significant changes in the 13 years between, or if there’s more that’s not in The Body, however it’s some fairly early writing.

message 34: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Matt wrote: "Nick wrote: "I skipped The Body as I was going through this book and now I've gone back to it. I've always enjoyed this read and I have to say the story holds up well. I'm also interested in that s..."

So it wasn't meant to be a parody of bad writing? It's just plain bad writing or at least the kind of writing they looked for in pulp fiction? Of course, the reading of the piece in the audiobook version of Different Seasons is over the top, and that adds to the feeling of cheesiness.

message 35: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Tandy | 193 comments Nick wrote: "Matt wrote: "Nick wrote: "I skipped The Body as I was going through this book and now I've gone back to it. I've always enjoyed this read and I have to say the story holds up well. I'm also interes..."

Alas, no, it wasn’t originally a parody, though for kid, it’s not horrible. The story is there, it’s just a bit overdone in the mechanics.

Kandice | 3941 comments Stud City underwent a SIGNIFICANT rewrite between Ubris and The Body. As it originally appeared, the story, like Matt says, was the same, but the melodrama is amped to the nth degree in The Body. I think King was proud of the story as Ubris ran it and just wanted more people to be able to read it.

message 37: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Kandice wrote: "Stud City underwent a SIGNIFICANT rewrite between Ubris and The Body. As it originally appeared, the story, like Matt says, was the same, but the melodrama is amped to the nth degree in The Body. I..."

So, not to overdo this, but King did turn it into a kind of parody when he "amped up the melodrama to the nth degree" for The Body. Because that's the way the narrator reads it in the audio version of the book.

message 38: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Nick wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Stud City underwent a SIGNIFICANT rewrite between Ubris and The Body. As it originally appeared, the story, like Matt says, was the same, but the melodrama is amped to the nth degre..."

I think, just for the hell of it, I'm going to write a parody of the piece myself just to see what happens. I promise I won't inflict it on anyone.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 965 comments I'm reading the body now.

message 40: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Linda wrote: "I'm reading the body now." I'm loving it.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 965 comments Not very far into it. I can't help but compare the book to the movie. I try to put the movie right out of my head but it's hard.

message 42: by Nick (last edited Apr 23, 2019 10:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Linda wrote: "Not very far into it. I can't help but compare the book to the movie. I try to put the movie right out of my head but it's hard."

You know, I'm not quite finished with the book, (the Body) my second or third read. But we just looked at the movie tonight. So, I'm very fresh on both of them. Of course, I'm not done, but it strikes me that the novella and the film are very close. I mean I could list the differences in the parts I've already gone through, but I think I'll finish the read first. I will add a couple of things, though. 1 - large parts of the dialogue are right out of the book and most of the key scenes are too, and as of this moment, unless they change the ending or something I'd say the movie and the book match up pretty well. It doesn't seem wrong at all to picture the characters from the film when reading the book. That's how good the casting was. 2 - They left out the great opening set of lines, which are among my favorites. That's too bad.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 913 comments I am soooo behind with my April reading. I might not get to this until May. I really want to re-read this since I haven’t read it since 1982-83.

message 44: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Nancy wrote: "I am soooo behind with my April reading. I might not get to this until May. I really want to re-read this since I haven’t read it since 1982-83."

It's definitely worth the read Nancy. I wouldn't skip it.

Kandice | 3941 comments Nick, King has said that the best adaptations are from novella sized works because an actual novel is just too much to fit in. I think that's why there are so many series, mini-series of his works. We talk here about his books being more about the people than the situations they find themselves in, but 2 hours usually gives you only enough time to flesh out a situation. Not characters and relationships.

message 46: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Kandice wrote: "Nick, King has said that the best adaptations are from novella sized works because an actual novel is just too much to fit in. I think that's why there are so many series, mini-series of his works...."

Right, Kandice. An adaptation of a novel is in large part about what to leave out. In this one, they left out what happened after the boys returned. And that was fine with me. It made the last part of the book a real postscript. Did I say that this book is one of my favorites of all time because it's about friendship? It's amazing how well King captures the essence of young boys' friendship. Of course, he does it again in IT. But this is just remarkable. BTW, favorite opening line (actually better when he repeats it in the middle of the book): THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS ARE THE HARDEST TO SAY BECAUSE WORDS DIMINISH THEM.

Kandice | 3941 comments I couldn't agree with you more, Nick. About all of it.

message 48: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Kandice wrote: "I couldn't agree with you more, Nick. About all of it."

Thanks, Kandice. BTW: Great addition to the story by the screenwriters - Mail Box Baseball. Stupid addition- that conversation about Goofy.

Kandice | 3941 comments Awww... I love the Goofy conversation! I have boys and that is the epitome of the stuff they discuss.

message 50: by Nick (last edited Apr 26, 2019 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Kandice wrote: "Awww... I love the Goofy conversation! I have boys and that is the epitome of the stuff they discuss."

Guess you're right. I just forgot. It definitely framed it as a "pre-girl" pre-dating conversation.

« previous 1