BooktubeSFF Awards discussion

The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
This topic is about The Poppy War
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived 2019 > The Poppy War Readalong

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cass Burton (cassburton) | 15 comments Mod
Welcome to the April Readalong for The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang!! I'm excited to get this discussion going, and as always, if you are discussing spoilers, please put the appropriate disclaimers in your post! This was a very popular book last year, so I'm excited for people to read this one!

Content warning: This book contains graphic descriptions of drug abuse, child abuse, sexual violence, rape, mass murder, mass genocide, infanticide, human experimentation.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wagner (sff180) | 49 comments Mod
Well, should Thomas start with the Unpopular Opinion™? ^_^
Not a fan.

But I hope The Dragon Republic is a step up.

message 3: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise Lost But Found (eliselostbutfound) | 23 comments I was a little underwhelmed tbh. I think I was expecting something really dark and I don't know what it says about me that I thought this was unimpressive. (Probably watched too many history documentaries growing up - Kuang draws heavily. (view spoiler) ) In fact the last third felt the most passionate - that was the only part I felt the author truly wanted to write about. She seemed to focus all her efforts there and that was when I actually felt interested in continuing to the second book.

I am curious about the second novel, because I didn't hate The Poppy War. I just thought it average but fun. A good evolution of villain novel. And I think the next big baddie could be fun!

message 4: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda  | 16 comments I couldn't get into this book for anything.

Jane (yesmissjane) (yesmissjane) | 40 comments I just finished this, and MAN oh MAN. That was quite an emotional rollercoaster. I think I have emotional whiplash. I may have been more prepared if I had come and looked at the content warnings listed in the OP here.

I really quite enjoyed the stuff at the academy before the war began, but the whole second half was so graphically awful (beheadings! rotting corpses! genocide!) and I really felt like I didn't know what I should even be hoping for as far as outcome goes. Then the ending we were given is pretty much as bleak as I can remember reading, like, ever. I honestly don't think I would be able to come at another volume of that.

Jessica | 41 comments I think I gave this a 3.5 stars. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but I was definitely in it when I read it. I found the pacing of this a little off because there is such a flip from Rin going to the academy, and then all of a sudden being in a war, but overall it was a good, if brutal read. I do not like the decisions that Rin is making, but she is a good anti-hero.

Luminous_Monkey | 7 comments I really struggled to get through this. The tone shifted drastically about half way and I wasn't prepared for it. I also felt really disconnected from the characters, and thought that the magic system wasn't fully fleshed out.

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (shelby-m-read-and-find-out) | 51 comments I'm reading this right now! I've really enjoyed what I've read so far, but I'm still in the first half of the book.

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (shelby-m-read-and-find-out) | 51 comments I finished this a couple of days ago, and I ended up loving it (thought there were definitely parts that were hard to read). The parts each felt distinct, but I personally didn't find them as disjointed as I've heard many reviewers have.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.