Archive - Additional Reads > The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - April 2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Voted by members for Mystery & Thriller additional read

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
(or The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle for US readers)

The Rules of Blackheath:

Evelyn Hardcastle will be murdered at 11:00 p.m.
There are eight days, and eight witnesses for you to inhabit.
We will only let you escape once you tell us the name of the killer.
Understood? Then let's begin...

Evelyn Hardcastle will die. Every day until Aiden Bishop can identify her killer and break the cycle. But every time the day begins again, Aiden wakes up in the body of a different guest. And some of his hosts are more helpful than others...

The most inventive debut of the year twists together a mystery of such unexpected creativity it will leave readers guessing until the very last page.

message 2: by Carol-Anne (new)

Carol-Anne | 13 comments I am wondering how others are getting on with this? I am about half way through, and was intreged by the premise. Also was pleased to see all the great reviews of this book. But, as I am reading a couple of others just now I chose to do this on audio book and I am struggling with the narrator and genuinely think his performance is spoiling the whole thing for me. I do wish now I had 'read' it. Just interested to see what others are thinking?

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
I've not started it yet, but I am planning to read rather than listen this one I think.

message 4: by Geoff (new)

Geoff McCausland | 27 comments I am about 1/3 of the way through, mostly listening but also reading occasionally. I think I agree on the narration but not sure if reading it is better? I thought it might have been slow at the beginning and maybe a little confusing. Once they reveal the premise I was intrigued too. I haven't gotten to the point where it is a page-turner yet and impossible to put down.

message 5: by Carol-Anne (new)

Carol-Anne | 13 comments Glad to hear I'm not the only one Geoff. I am enjoying it, although still confused even listening rather than reading. At about 65% now and still wouldn't say I was hooked. Hope you enjoy it Lynn!

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Oh geez I am going to do audio book on this one and I hope this was not a mistake should I read instead.

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 37 comments Read this earlier this year. January I think. Remember liking it. But recently was in a book trivia contest at the library. I could not come up with the name of the main character ( Aiden Bishop). Another woman had the same problem. Not sure what it says about the book.

message 8: by Carol-Anne (new)

Carol-Anne | 13 comments Susanne wrote: "Oh geez I am going to do audio book on this one and I hope this was not a mistake should I read instead."

It maybe isn't as bad as I have made out! Give it a go, I would say it is worth a listen, although I'm not finished yet and its taken me longer than normal to get through it!

message 9: by Carol-Anne (new)

Carol-Anne | 13 comments Diana wrote: "Read this earlier this year. January I think. Remember liking it. But recently was in a book trivia contest at the library. I could not come up with the name of the main character ( Aiden Bishop). ..."

I'm reading it now, and I'm not sure I would have remembered his name if I hadn't read it in your post !!

message 10: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I just finished listening to it and I have to say I found the book terribly boring and uninteresting. Even ignoring the excessive length and subpar narration, the story itself is just not satisfying and either incoherent or totally predictable. It mostly feels like wasted time, but I made it through.

message 11: by Geoff (new)

Geoff McCausland | 27 comments Carol-Anne wrote: "I'm reading it now, and I'm not sure I would have remembered his name if I hadn't read it in your post !!"

LOL, glad I wasn't the only one. I am about 3/4 of the way through now.

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Oh no, I'm honestly not sure I'm going to give this a go now after hearing all your thoughts :)

message 13: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 81 comments I finished this one earlier this month and thought it was okay. I listened to the audiobook as well as read it and didn’t have any issue with the narration. I was entertained throughout but it definitely didn’t grab me and hold my attention as much as other mystery/thrillers have. I definitely didn’t have that “I need to find out what happens” feeling.

I was incredibly disappointed by the ending. All the twists and reveals were lame and didn’t make much sense in my opinion. I feel like this author had a great idea and could have done some great things with these unlikeable characters but failed a little in the execution.

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Lim | 1 comments I finished reading this book earlier on in the year, and I must say that for a debut novel, this was well written, and I cannot wait for Turton's future novels.

There are good points and bad about this books, and i'll set them out for those deciding whether to give this book a go!

The plot is amazingly simply - a locked room murder, where our main character inhabits the bodies of 8 different individuals (hosts) for 8 days in order to solve a murder and escape. While in these 8 hosts, our lead embodies their characteristics and personalities, and Turton does an incredible job of really making these people come to life. Reading through the eyes of these hosts really makes one feel, and come a little closer to understanding the inner workings of the minds of a rapist, an alcoholic, and a coward to name a few. We see a person's struggle to resist being under the influence and to escape their bad habits, which despite how despicable some of these hosts may be, makes them appear a tad more human. (Although by no means am I advocating that some of these actions are justifiable.)

Another reason why this was a huge draw for me is due to the lushness of plot twists and revelations. It was complex, yet beautifully written. There were definitely some chapters that really kept me on my toes, making me wonder who the culprit was, and what motivations and relationships the characters had with each other.

Perhaps what died a little in this novel for me would be the buildup. After the first hundred pages, the story becomes much more draggy, and I seem to be going through the same confusion that our main character goes through. We see the world through the lead's eyes, and the reading gets difficult when he's confused and doesn't seem to be able to coherently sort out his thoughts. Granted, this must have been a part of Turton's plan - for the readers to really experience the out of body experience that our lead goes through. However, this coupled with the fact that while the story line is linear, the way in which it is told is very much not, which only adds to the confusion as a reader to exactly what is happening and when. Each action always has a reaction, and the non-linear way in which this books was written always has me questioning whether an event was a consequence of a past event, or would be an action triggering a subsequent event. For readers who really enjoy going back and forth throughout the same timeline from different perspectives, this is probably the one for you, but personally, there were definitely a couple of moments that really made me want to give up reading halfway as I couldn't seem to make heads or tails as to what I was reading.

The next bit that really didn't seem to make much sense to me was the relationship our lead had with A. (view spoiler) Too many questions left unanswered!

Ultimately, I think it's good for a casual read, but nothing mind blowing.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments so i have been chewing over what I have to say about this book. To me it reminds me of the movie clue where there is a bunch of people and who murders who needs to be figured out. This story adds spin to that by having the detective ie host become each person instead. Anyways there are points in the book i felt a little lost so much going on and keeping tract of everyone was a bit challenging that might be because I listened to this on audio book. I could not imagine having to be host to 8 bodies in 8 days and any screw up it would be repeated so getting each host right is relevant and important. I thought it was an interesting book but nothing special.