Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist's works!) > jeugdzonde (sorry no translation)(Francis Bacon)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments My third quiz question today!
Something tells me that this will be more difficult… or not...
I’m done underestimating you guys!

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments braque

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Miro

message 4: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments No and No.

This was a very early work by this artist. (Jeugd = youth)

message 5: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Leger?

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Rothko

message 7: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments Both wrong, this artist (male by the way) is almost thirty years younger than most of these guys.
This painting is dated 1924.
If that is correct the painter was only 15 years old!

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Picasso

message 9: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments Sorry Heather, wrong again.

message 10: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments Time for an extra hint…
This was made some ten years later, when the artist was in his twenties:

message 11: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Dekooning

message 12: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments Good guess, but wrong nationality.

message 13: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Somehow it's nagging at the back of my mind. There's something familiar about the color scheme.

Tamayo?

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Kandinsky

message 15: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments It's not Kandinsky, wrong nationality.
And sorry Geoffrey, but the name Tamayo doesn't ring a bell, Japanese? That's also wrong nationality.

message 16: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments A third painting and another ten years: this was made in 1945.

message 17: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) What the heck am I looking at? A landscape morphed into a portrait? Tamayo was a good guess. I thought Geoffrey had it for sure. Rufino Tamayo was a Mexican artist of the same general period as Diego Rivera.

message 18: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments My sentiment exactly ;-) This is from an accompanying text:

This painting is thought to be based on a photograph of the painters lover wearing a flannel suit dozing on a seat in Hyde Park. A substantial section of the body has been overpainted, suggesting a black void. An open mouth can be discerned speaking into microphone, a detail that may have derived from photographs of Nazi leaders giving speeches. The pastoral setting is therefore contrasted with the intimations of organised political violence, making this an early example of X’s combination of aggression and everyday mundane reality.

message 19: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) I really don't like this work...Jeugzdzonde isn't German. Maybe Dutch or Danish? It will be interesting to see where the artist goes next.

message 20: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments Jeugdzonde is Dutch, my native language.
There is literally no translation for it, it's something like "mistake of youth" or "youthful mistake" but it's not really a mistake. "Zonde" translates as sin, but that's not correct either...
It's because the first painting I posted was made at a very young age (15yrs!).

And about nationality...
If I give you that hint it will be immediately obvious whom we're talking about!

message 21: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Francis Bacon

message 22: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments YES! you got it Heather!
Which hint was it?

message 23: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments Here is one of his more famous works made only a couple of years after the third painting: in 1953
It's a study after Velazquez (portrait of pope Innocent X)

Kristine, if you didn't like the previous work you certainly won't like his later work, it's really the stuff on nightmares!

message 24: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Dirk wrote: "YES! you got it Heather!
Which hint was it?"

The third, well the second kind of had that 'scraping' of the paint, also the third, that's what gave me the hint. I first thought of Gerhard Richter but he's still alive, isn't he? He does the same thing only with photographs.

message 25: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments I don’t care for Bacon’s work at all. I think they are haunting.

message 26: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2698 comments I kinda liked the two first paintings. One has to wonder what happened to the man to start painting these gruesome portraits, alcohol abuse?

message 27: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Well his works are at least somewhat political. I would think some has to do with the world around him.

For example, what made him paint that if the Pope??? Did something happen in the Catholic Church for him to represent him that way?

message 28: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments There was a fabulous Bacon retrospective a few years back I saw I think at the Met. And a different large show at the Hirshhorn. That portrait of Innocent X belongs to CV the Des Moines Art Center where I used to work. Love it. Just a fascinating artist. You can visit his studio in Dublin. There are fine books that give insight into his relationships to artists like Freud. And there is a movie in which Bacon is played by Derek Jacobi.

message 29: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) The first two works seem like he is struggling to find his voise. The third is incoherent. I guess he found himself in the Pope Innocent portrait and considering the inquisition and bloody history of the Catholic church there is much truth here. I saw an El Greco exhibit once that was absolutely overwhelming. If Ihad to compare the two artists, Bacon has shock value but not much more.