Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read In 2019 > The Store - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5983 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by John (new)

John This is the second book in Stribling's trilogy, The Forge is the first, and it's been on my to-read list a while. My library has The Forge, not The Store.

Prices for The Store are a little more than I want to spend on a unknown author, so I probably won't get to this book.

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Apr 07, 2019 04:33PM) (new)

My library has neither so I guess I won't be reading this one either.

Any other members successful in obtaining this book? I think it's pretty ludicrous that libraries don't have many of these Pulitzer Prize Winners on their shelves. It's pretty sad if you ask me. 😕

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1567 comments I couldn't find it either, Loretta.

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I couldn't find it either, Loretta."

☹️

message 6: by John (new)

John Hmm...I might start requesting that my library purchase them.

message 7: by Tracey (last edited Apr 07, 2019 07:05PM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I would have loved to read this book, in fact, the whole trilogy but so far my library has not come up with a copy. It is very sad how libraries have 30 copies of the latest noir crime but only 1 copy classics such as each of Shakespeare's plays or more recent ones like Of Human Bondage I am trying to get They Were Counted by Miklós Bánffy and The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth for another group and have come up zero on those also.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) A question for Loretta: are you choosing the Pulitzer books at random or in chronological order?

message 9: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "Hmm...I might start requesting that my library purchase them."

I can recommend and fill out a purchase request for books I'd like my library to purchase. After the paperwork (red tape) is completed, it goes before the library board and voted on. Most cases, classics get overlooked and they buy multiple copies of Stephen King/John Grisham/James Patterson. It drives me nuts! Naturally, the other option I use quite a bit is the inner library loans which are usually quite successful in finding the book I'm requesting because they go to the college/university libraries. This time though, with this request, they could not find the books. 😕

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tracey wrote: "A question for Loretta: are you choosing the Pulitzer books at random or in chronological order?"

We're reading them in order Tracey.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Loretta wrote: "Tracey wrote: "A question for Loretta: are you choosing the Pulitzer books at random or in chronological order?"

We're reading them in order Tracey."

Then Lamb in His Bosom is next. I have just read it so I will join in the discussion next month.

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Sorry to see that this Pulitzer wasn't available for most members. 😕