Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read In 2019 > Wives & Daughters - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5978 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I read this book many years ago and it was my first introduction to Gaskell. I loved it and went on to read her other works. I think the group will enjoy it.

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

So! Has anyone started the book yet? Any comments members? 🤔

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I am going on a holiday on Saturday and this book will be my airport and airplane read, among others on my ipad.
So far I have enjoyed every book by Gaskell that I have read.

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I am going on a holiday on Saturday and this book will be my airport and airplane read, among others on my ipad.
So far I have enjoyed every book by Gaskell that I have read."

Lovely! A holiday! May I ask where you're off to??

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments We are off to Greece for the first time. Followed by a few days in Rome. We have already booked a tour of the Vatican museums, for seven in the morning!

message 7: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "We are off to Greece for the first time. Followed by a few days in Rome. We have already booked a tour of the Vatican museums, for seven in the morning!"

How delightful! And Rome as well! I'm sure seeing the Vatican that early in the morning will be well worth it! Have you ever been to Rome Rosemarie?

Enjoy yourself!! 😊

message 8: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 47 comments Rosemarie wrote: "We are off to Greece for the first time. Followed by a few days in Rome. We have already booked a tour of the Vatican museums, for seven in the morning!"

Sounds wonderful!!
Happy trails :)

message 9: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 584 comments Rosemarie wrote: "We are off to Greece for the first time. Followed by a few days in Rome. We have already booked a tour of the Vatican museums, for seven in the morning!"
Have a lovely holiday , Rosemarie ! Waiting for a few comments on Greece and Rome when you return !

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I’ve just started reading and with my other April reads I’m not certain I can finish by the end of the month. But I like this even better than Gaskell’s North and South so far.

Possibly my favorite quote ever:
“But fate is a cunning hussy, and builds up her plans as imperceptibly as a bird builds her nest; and with much the same kind of unconsidered trifles.”

message 11: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I’ve just started reading and with my other April reads I’m not certain I can finish by the end of the month. But I like this even better than Gaskell’s North and South so far.

Possibly my favori..."

Don't worry Jenny! The threads will be open whenever you want to post something! Also, there are other members who are reading the book as well so please just take your time and enjoy!! 😁

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I’ve finally had the time to start digging in to Wives and Daughters. Not half way through yet. But so far, I really dislike the new Mrs Gibson but find Cynthia not quite as disagreeable as I anticipated. It’s funny how little things can change in 150 years. Gaskell describes Cynthia as one of those girls that everyone is drawn to even though they have no observable virtues. I can think of a few of that type of girl from high school. And working in a school, I still see it!

I’m hoping (and expecting) that Molly and Roger will fall in love in the end. Although it is frustrating to see Roger fall for Cynthia’s shallowness for the moment.

And I’m very curious how the separate stories of Cynthia and Osborne will be developed.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I have read eleven chapters and really dislike the future Mrs Gibson. Poor Molly!

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I’ve finally had the time to start digging in to Wives and Daughters. Not half way through yet. But so far, I really dislike the new Mrs Gibson but find Cynthia not quite as disagreeable as I antic..."

It sounds like you're enjoying the book Jenny. Are you? 🤔

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I have read eleven chapters and really dislike the future Mrs Gibson. Poor Molly!"

Glad to see that you're reading this one too Rosemarie! 😊

message 16: by Danada (new)

Danada Jenny wrote: "I’m hoping (and expecting) that Molly and Roger will fall in love in the end. Although it is frustrating to see Roger fall for Cynthia’s shallowness for the moment. ..."

Yes! It reminds me a bit of Edmund and Fanny in *Mansfield Park* (though the analogy isn't perfect).

I am also not a fan of the new Mrs. Gibson.

message 17: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 623 comments Rosemarie wrote: "We are off to Greece for the first time. Followed by a few days in Rome. We have already booked a tour of the Vatican museums, for seven in the morning!"

That is very nice, Rosemarie. I would love to go to Greece one day too. I've been to Rome but haven't visited the Vatican museum. Enjoy your holiday. Hope you'll share your experience with us when you return.

message 18: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 623 comments I read this last year and loved it. This I think is my favourite Gaskell. I would have reread it if I had time. But I would be going on a holiday too. So with other reads I wouldn't be able to fit this in. Hope you all will enjoy the read. And I will jump in with my thoughts whenever I can.

message 19: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments Will do!

message 20: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 623 comments I really liked Molly and didn't like Mrs. Gibson or her daughter Cynthia. They both were vain to me. I wonder what Mr. Gibson was thinking in marrying that Lady. I can't say I liked Osborne much either. He is so reserved and secretive.

message 21: by Danada (new)

Danada Anyone else have the urge to read some Maria Edgeworth after the wedding when Molly was talking to Lady Harriet? :D

message 22: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I am sorry for the Squire now that his wife has died. I hope that Osborne will be able to have a long talk with his father but somehow I don’t see that happening.
Roger is completely smitten with the shallow and beautiful Cynthia. I hope he comes to his senses before he hurts Molly.

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments Danada wrote: "Anyone else have the urge to read some Maria Edgeworth after the wedding when Molly was talking to Lady Harriet? :D"

I’ve never read Edgeworth. I need to get her on my TBR shelf to remind me to seek her out! Is there one or two you can suggest, Danada?

message 24: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I have now read 41 chapters and the pace has really picked up. I am really enjoying the book so far, especially the quiet, genuine Molly, the heroine of the novel.

message 25: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments Just finished and really enjoyed this book! I’d only read North and South but I enjoyed this one even more. I was nervous about the ending since it was finished by her editor after Gaskell’s death. But I found it to be satisfying- hopeful and sentimental without being unrealistically tidy and overwrought. 5 stars in my opinion.

message 26: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I have just finished the book, and really enjoyed it. I hope that Cynthia will be content as Mrs. Henderson, and that Mrs. Gibson learns not to embellish on the truth so much. But I think the latter will be a hopeless case.

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments Yes, Mrs Gibson is a hopeless case! I laughed at the irony of her last comment to Molly that she had to “learn to understand the wishes of other people.” I found it very modern and feminist of Gaskell to have Molly worry in the beginning about how focusing on the wishes of others essentially meant giving up your own individuality. Molly suffered throughout to learn how to balance her own wishes with those she loved. But I think she learned to find that balance - to be selfless without compromising her own values.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

North and South (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maria Edgeworth (other topics)