Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Seeking Book Recommendations - Beautiful books

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments Hey all my favorite internet bookish friends

I am looking for some books for myself that are beautiful/moving (if they have good audiobook narrators please do mention that).

Books that I have loved that I consider to be in this category are:
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
All the Light We Cannot See
This is How It Always Is
Far from the Tree
The Night Circus

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Any of the Mitford Series by Jan Karon are absolutely wonderful on audio! Start with At Home in Mitford
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats just knocked my socks off. I loved it.
Truck: A Love Story Surprised me by how wonderful it turned out.
Garden Spells was my first by Sarah Allen Addison and led me to read quite a few others but this one was probably my favorite.
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Gift from the Sea from way back in my past.

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments I loved The Storied Life of AJ Fikrey! Thanks Barbara

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments This is a good, but tough question!

One I'd like to add is Snow Falling on Cedars

I also would have included All the Light We Cannot See which is excellent on audiobook! I know there are others, but not coming to mind at this moment.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4910 comments The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa. "Beautiful" is what I used to describe it in my review, and so have many others.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments Cutting for Stone-from your list I think this one will fit the bill

message 7: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Joanne wrote: "Cutting for Stone-from your list I think this one will fit the bill"

Wow, I missed listing that one but I loved it too. I guess I wasn't sure I would call if beautiful but I know I rated it best reading of that year and recommended it to many others.

message 8: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments annapi wrote: "The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa. "Beautiful" is what I used to describe it in my review, and so have many others."

Absolutely!

message 9: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments AJ wrote: "Hey all my favorite internet bookish friends

I am looking for some books for myself that are beautiful/moving (if they have good audiobook narrators please do mention that).

Books that I have lov..."

I've just added all of yours that I haven't previously read!

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments I have to say one of the most beautiful books I have read is The Night Circus, so was so pleased to see it on your list
Some I would categorize as beautiful in the same manner:

The Book of Emma ReyesMaurice
The Nightingale
To Keep the Sun Alive
The Bookshop
The Last Watchman of Old Cairo
A Gentleman in Moscow

message 11: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2753 comments This one is a terrific audio with multiple performers;
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
(The book is better than the movie!)

message 12: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments This is a great question! A few books that come to mind are:

The Secret Life of Bees
The Marriage of Opposites
Circe

message 13: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Jgrace wrote: "This one is a terrific audio with multiple performers;
(The book is better than the movie!)"

I totally second this choice!

message 14: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Magdalena wrote: "This is a great question! A few books that come to mind are:

The Secret Life of Bees
The Marriage of Opposites
Circe"

Secret Life of Bees was also a favorite of mine and definitely what I would call beautiful.

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments A Little Life
The Princess Bride
I know this sounds contrary, but Dracula- this audiobook with a full cast. The flow of the story and descriptions are wonderful.
Platero and I may be hard to find, but so worth it!
Silence
The Remains of the Day
and finally, the entire Anne Of Green Gables series.

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments Jgrace wrote: "This one is a terrific audio with multiple performers;
(The book is better than the movie!)"

I loved this book-I wanted to move there afterward-lol

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments The Marriage of Opposites for sure!

message 18: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Oh, my goodness! Yes to The entire Anne of Green Gables series. I swear I listened to that in audio and just loved it beyond reason. I never read it when I was young only as an older adult.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments With your interest in divinity, you might enjoy Mitch Albion’s Have a Little Faith. I just loved that and thought it was beautiful!

message 20: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3197 comments Two come to my mind, aside from those listed already are:
Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford
and
News of the World by Paulette Jiles

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Second Joy!

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5637 comments I'll a couple more

To Kill a Mockingbird (Sissy Spacek narrates the audiobook)
A Lesson Before Dying
The History of Love
The Signature of All Things (Juliet Stevenson performs the audiobook)

message 23: by punxsygal (new)

punxsygal | 270 comments I would add The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey to the list of books I consider beautiful.

message 24: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 01, 2019 08:07PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4980 comments The Bird and the Sword - beautiful and lyrical on audio. Listen to the audio sample to see if you like her use of language. Amy Harmon is a new (to me) author who is really worth checking out.

The Language of Flowers - Very moving story about a foster child on her own.

The Light Between Oceans - Beautiful and aching. (I didn't want to read it, but once I did, I was hooked. I don't think I liked the audio voice at first. Look for a sample.)

Their Eyes Were Watching God on audio with Ruby Dee. I loved the writing. Look for some quotes to see if they move you at all (if not, skip it).

message 25: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments Amy, speaking of Divinity I found a beautiful podcast recently called Harry Potter and the Sacred Text. It’s two divinity students learning life lessons from Harry Potter and it is honestly beautiful. I can’t remember if you’re a Harry Potter fan or not but I thought I would mention it.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments I will add it to the towering TBR! Also a second for the Signature of All Things, which is a lifetime favorite! Definitely a pice if spirituality entwined there!

message 27: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2753 comments AJ wrote: "Amy, speaking of Divinity I found a beautiful podcast recently called Harry Potter and the Sacred Text. It’s two divinity students learning life lessons from Harry Potter and it is honestly beautif..."

AJ! My daughter has been telling me about that podcast for the past year! I admit I haven't listened to it, I'm not into podcasts. But, we've had some great discussions about what she tells me.

message 28: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1162 comments This is a great discussion. I'll be looking at the recommendations, myself. Here are a few of mine:
The Unseen World by Liz Moore
Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper
Everything Here is Beautiful by Mira Lee

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments annapi wrote: "The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa. "Beautiful" is what I used to describe it in my review, and so have many others."

Yes, another beautiful one, but also quite poignant. I loved this one.

message 31: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 365 comments A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Stoner
The Wall

All such beautiful, but quiet books.

message 32: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4980 comments Great question. I love this type of book.