UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > Could anyone recommend me some sci-fi?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Faulkner (markrfaulkner) | 464 comments Hi. I fancy reading some really great sci-fi, but I'm afraid I'm a little ignorant of who the current authors are. Recommendations would be most welcome.
Thanks

message 2: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 15 comments aha, I have the perfect forum for you to seek recommendations:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

those people love to recommend books. just tell them what you've read recently that you liked (try that here too) and they'll fill your TBR pile quickly

message 3: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 15 comments Myself, I like

Andy Weir's The Martian
Aliette de Bodard - she also writes Fantasy
Dan Simmons's Hyperion Cantos
C.J. Cherryh - she also writes Fantasy

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments I finished Dune yesterday, which is fairly good.

Other than that, I always enjoyed the Halo books (which are based on the Xbox game).

This is the first one:

Halo: The Fall of Reach

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9112 comments I’d recommend Iain M Banks’ The Culture series, the first is Consider Phlebas. Recently I have enjoyed The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and if you don’t object to a bit of steampunk then the Tales of the Ketty Jay series is excellent, Retribution Falls being the first.
People have always rated Arthur C Clarke: personally I have found his books turgid and pompous beyond reading...

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22041 comments I always recommend Jack Vance who wrote both SF and Fantasy, and some of his stuff falls in between :-)

The Dragon Masters is the first novel of his that I ever read

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments If you're still looking, James S.A. Corey's "The Expanse" series is utterly awesome. Starts with Leviathan Wakes. Also, the first 3 (soon to be 4) books have been made into a TV series on Prime.

John Scalzi is worth considering, with some humorous titles, as well as straight SF.

If you're looking more towards space opera or military sci-fi, then Elizabeth Moon, David Weber, Mike Shepherd are worth considering.